Edit: now judt looking for a UK EDC, suggestion's please.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
EDIT: Now just looking for a good pocket EDC, UK legal of course, so many to chose from though need help!

Going to get a bug for the keys anyways but want a bigger EDC knife.

Up to £40 Max! Unless its only a teeny tiny bit over and really worth it)

I think I prefers the short stubby ones over the long ones so long as the blade is more than 2inch and under three on the cutting edge.

Looking at the subcome 42 Titanium.

This continues from post 9 onwards.

Cheers.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UK Legal keyring/Pockrt knife for EDC - Suggestions needed.

Non-locking, maximum cutting edge length 3". This means either a Friction Folder, or Slip-Joint knife.

As well as most of the standard size swiss army knives, there are lots of options for this.

I've used a Victorinox Classic and Minichamp which are keyring sized. The Spyderco Bug, Grasshopper and Honeybee are excellent single blade UK EDC legal knives.

There really is a lot of choice and probably the biggest Legal EDCs are the Boker Plus XS and Boker Trance 42.

Have fun choosing.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened

Cheers I'll check those out.

OK after reading the rave reviews I gonna get a spderco, any reason the honey be is twice the price of the bug? Is it better made? As there's not much size diffrence, yet the grass hopper is the same price as the honeybee but a lot bigger from looking at the reviews?

Last edited:

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just to be clear, your dive knives etc aren't 'illegal' (unless they are flick, gravity or butterfly knives) it's just that your can't carry them in a public place without 'lawful authority or reasonable excuse' which is for you to prove.

If you stick to a non-locking folder with a maximum cutting edge length of 3" then you can carry it in a public place without having to show any lawful authority or reasonable excuse for doing so.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot to say, the spyderco Bug is very small, have a look at the spyderco kiwi.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened

Just to be clear, your dive knives etc aren't 'illegal' (unless they are flick, gravity or butterfly knives) it's just that your can't carry them in a public place without 'lawful authority or reasonable excuse' which is for you to prove.

If you stick to a non-locking folder with a maximum cutting edge length of 3" then you can carry it in a public place without having to show any lawful authority or reasonable excuse for doing so.

Ah yes I understand that, I was just not sure what could be carried without a reason, I knew I could Carrie a dive knife, but I think walking around in scuba gear and flippers just so I can carry that knife would be a bit silly haha!

Like my mates a chef so he can carry his knifes into work/collage for say a cooking exam ect...

Looked St the kiwi, but I just checked my bank balance and I have exactly £18.70 disposable funds, and CBA to wait till next payday lol.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened

Went for the grasshopper, as I felt although its a tiny bit big for keys I can live with it and if not I'll make a paracord lanyard and just keep in pockets.

I feel the bigger blade will be more useful and the handle easier to hold, liked the kiwi but deffintly to large for keys and heavier, awsome style though, if u look at KT it actusly looks like a kiwi!

Just hope this doesn't start another horrible collecting hobby as torches/cycling/locks are enuf on there own....

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

The bug is a cracking little knife if you use it for what it is intended for,i have one on my key chain.Best place for you is.

http://www.heinnie.com/

Top firm to deal with and in the UK.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened

Yup that's were I ordered from, might buy a few bugs as Xmas gifts...

Changed my mind again doh! Canncled the order and have decided to wait till I have more money next week or two.

Am currently eyeing up a few, a little over budget but the Subcome Titanium looks nice.

Also looking at so many others...kiwi Stag / Bike plus XS...

I'll also get a bug for the keys at same time whatever I get.

Last edited:

knifeowningguy

Newly Enlightened

Spyderco UK Pen Knife. Made exactly for your needs...

dss_777

Enlightened

What do you typically use a knife for?

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened

a I dont own one not much other than dinner...

but I'd likely find many uses...just basic stuff like opening packets, cutting thing like rubber hoses at wirk, genral light cutting duty.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finaly decided on a UKPK, and a Bug, only to.go spend the funds on a Sunwayman D40ANW!

oops! Money well spent at least...

If you are cutting hoses at work i suggest you pick a good work horse of a knife from a trade store like Travis Perkins etc.I have a really nice little folder which i have been using for the last 2 years made by Irwin.cost less than £10

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I think Byrd? Knives are basically budget spyderco's made in China... Maybe of interest if you're looking to spend less £ on 'useful crap' this month :nana:

I started with a bug on my keys, it's a fantastic, edc friendly knife. Moved onto a Leatherman Squirt PS4 for the additional versitility scissors and pliers add. Sits nicely with housekeys, and a Peak Eiger 10180. Probably not suit pocketable, sits fine in jeans though.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub com (after market scales), squeak, Nano.

DSCF4666.jpg

DSCF4664.jpg

Pingo
WP_000139_zps11973650.jpg

Note - Pingo does not come fitted with a thumbstud, that was added after purchase.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I must aditni did look at all four of those but I was just thinking that that although I have never been stopped by police for anything other than ID when drinking in public I dont think they'd take kindly to me carrying a knife (evsmall or medium one) leven though its legal, guarantee I'd lose it and get taken to the station so I am looking at getting a Spyderco Bug for keys and EDC as it is in no way threatning and can't be offensive unless I start wavering it around it public.

(As even though I can carry a UKPk without reason so long as I dont cuase offense which means not using it in public aka descreatly out of sight, if I ever do get stopped (Nd I might as I am a teenager (nearly 19) it will be a trip down the station as that just how the police here are, even though I am really a very responsible person for my age)(not so muchrisk wwhen older)

So I guess I can carry a bug on the keys without worrying about being stopped.

But I do wsnt a larger one so might as well go whole hog and get a larger but still uk legal one, that I will only take out the house when I feel I have a reason to such as work ect (god being unemployed sucks) as at least then if I have it on me I have a good reason, but just won't carry it all the time only when I'm working if needed ect.

It sucks as although these knifes can technically be carried we can't use them in public or it chases offense can can be taken off you and you done for offensive weapons (qw can litaly only carry them in a pocket and even then risk getting arrested if found on us) unless we have a reason and only use it decretly.

I think the UK is over the top as most knife crime happens from irresponsible youghts of members of gangs with kitchen knifes and no laws will stop that!!! And it penalises those who truel would be responsible such as hobbyists, who would not use the knife even if they got into a a argument ect as they know the laws and concences.

So to summarise I feel its to risky (especialy at my age even though iv never had trouble with the police and am responsible) to carry any knife larger than a keyring one.

I will get a bug for the keys for EDC and a UKPK but only take it out the house when. Have a legitimate reason to be carrying it, woch really dose such give the points made above.

I even know a few of the local police as I have met them through collage course and even trained with them or know them personly....

But anyways thanks so much and I'm likely gonna go Bug and UKPk, I'd lover the borker Plus with he green handle and the squeak but feel I would not get away with it as a EDC!

I think America as a far better stance on knife law, although I dont agree that everyone should be allowed to carry guns as there far more lethal and not use full as a everyday item unless in the forces / police IMO. But that's an opions and I won't start an argument over it.

Sort about that RANT OVER!!!