fenix tk-35 battery options

poolman966554

Newly Enlightened
hey everyone,

I purchased the tk-35 years ago when i joined this forum. Best light ive ever owned.

recently, a buddy said the tk-35 can use 4 cr123, and will drive the led harder than the 18650's ive been using.. Thoughts?
I thought the driver regulated amps vs voltage input to get max output to the led either way..

On a second thought, whats in the $100 range these days that beats a tk-35?
Ive got a soft spot for good dealslovecpf

Thanks guys!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the tk-35 years ago when i joined this forum. Best light ive ever owned.

recently, a buddy said the tk-35 can use 4 cr123, and will drive the led harder than the 18650's ive been using.. Thoughts?
I thought the driver regulated amps vs voltage input to get max output to the led either way..

Thanks guys!

If you go to fenixtactical.com the specs should tell you can fry the light with double the voltage, or if the driver can buck it. I am too lazy to check, but sounds familiar.

People will inundate you with what they think is better. (I got the u2 xml tk35. ) "Better" depends on specifications you desire. There are bigger and badder, but at what price (runtime, size, etc.) For me, the tk35 offers: I imagine a two 18650 light the biggest I could ever turn into a wristlight; I want half day runtime+ full day, longer runtime settings; I want a super efficient led and buck controller with over %92 efficiency; I want good cri/neutral but balanced with high lumens; I want throw (I think the tk35 is my top limit for throw/output balance).

The TK35 is everything I want, except too heavy. I do not think it will significantly be outdone for the next few years--following the above outlined limitations.

I got my eye on the mtg2 (beamshots show beautiful color rendering and output), but don't see the three 18650 easily fitting into a wearable form factor that can keep my hands free. Maybe, in a cleverly designed headlamp with a big honking head/reflector.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I also have the TK-35! I like it very much. It has a great beam profile, the throw is very sufficient and I can get 2 hours and 6 minutes of turbo minus the few second step downs! :)

What kind of torch 2 x 18650 or 1 x 18650 can you get today that can SUSTAIN full output like that? VERY few if any.

I walk my Siberian 3.5 to 4 miles every night. Since I am like a lot of us I have numerous torches!! I set up a rotation!

TK-75, TK-35, BST, Olight M22, Olight M3X and once in a while my jetbeam BC-40.

Getting back to the topic. I was very fortunate to get the "New" version for $70 w/ batteries and Fenix Outfitters verified that it was brand new and I have the 30 month warranty! I got it on Ebay[usually do not do that] and the dealer forgot to take the batteries out after they tested it!

I too wish it was a bit lighter,,,especially when I have it in the holster. I always have a backup which is on my other hip!

All in all it is a great light and the price was certainly right! :thumbsup:

Oh,,yaa,,,,,,,,,,like degarb already said, I don't think there is any light for $100 that can outdo the TK-35 today and probably not for the next few years or so.

Last edited:

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I have the T6 version of this light and I find that both battery types (18650's and CR123's) work just fine, although I prefer using rechargeables as much as possible. I agree that the TK35 is still one tough act to follow.

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
hey everyone,

Thanks guys!

I have the original TK35 and it is designed/spec'ed/marketed to run on 18650's or 4 CR123 as well. Output should be the same but run time shorter with the primaries/CR123 cells.

abarrera87

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK35

I just bought a brand new Fenix TK35, no batteries included so I went to my local store and bought 4 cr123a Streamlight brand for $10. I tried them out and im not really impressed with the brightness output. I was wondering if the 18650s rechargeable will give it more power and make a difference or is this it. If so, what brand of rechargeable batteries should I order?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix TK35

I'm not sure how the TK35 is regulated but generally 18650s won't make the light brighter. CR123s give more voltage: 2x18650 = 8.4V while 4xCR123 = 12V.
Maybe the batteries you bought were partially discharged though CR123 have a really long shelf life so it's not very likely.

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Could be a bad unit or the reality that today's lights burn it pretty badly. In raw output it isn't a lot of lumens for today but it has fair throw. My older 47 Maelstrom X10 is pretty close in output but smaller. TK35 still has more throw with its deeper reflector though. Keep in mind I have the original 35 though. I only run 18560's though. Never ran primaries in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts