Wanted Flashlight: Single-mode, long runtime, runs on 1-2 AA's, under $50

ericbakuladavis

Newly Enlightened
Dear readers,

I am seeking some advice on buying a flashlight. Here is a list of characteristics I am looking for:

1. Single mode. No adjustable output. No computer-regulated output.
2. Runs on one or two AA batteries.
3. Any output level. Low or medium preferred. [EDIT:11/19/2013]
4. Decent construction.
5. Costs less than $50
6. Not a Gerber Infinity. I've had two of them and they both malfunctioned.
7. Has a pocket clip. [EDIT:11/15/2013]
8. Will not corrode in a humid coastal environment. [EDIT:11/15/2013]

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Eric

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Peak LED Solutions: El Capitan Non QTC HA $49.95. Made in America
Handcrafted Quality You Can See And Trust
Proudly Designed & Manufactured In The U.S.A.
Now With A Lifetime Warranty

ericbakuladavis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your suggestion, Norm. That looks like a good option for me. The description of the light on em-mgt.com says that it is a high power light. This makes me wonder: How much runtime should I expect? Is there another similar light with better runtime? Also, this light barely squeaks in under my price limit. Are there any others that fit the bill and cost less?

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited:

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
OUT OF INTREST NOT LOOKING FOR AN ARUGMENT BY WHY NO REGULATION??? NO DOWNSIDES THAI KNOW OF AND WHO WANTS A DIM LIGHT AFTER HALF THE BATTERYS LIFE?? EDIT: Sorry I had not noticed capsLock was on so sorry!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
OUT OF INTREST NOT LOOKING FOR AN ARUGMENT BY WHY NO REGULATION??? NO DOWNSIDES THAI KNOW OF AND WHO WANTS A DIM LIGHT AFTER HALF THE BATTERYS LIFE?? EDIT: Sorry I had not noticed capsLock was on so sorry!
Boost circuit lights using nimh don't really need regulation and some regulated boost circuit lights can have a not liked feature in that when the battery is depleted almost completely they go dark... little or no warning. Unless you use alkaline or heavy duty batteries the dimming of the light won't be that big of an issue and when it starts to go out you will notice it dimming a lot more instead of just.... darkness.

ericbakuladavis

Newly Enlightened
Stonepark,
I wasn't able to find an Olight i2s for sale. I found an Olight i1, Olight i2, and an Olight i3s, but they all seemed to have multiple output levels. I am looking for a single-mode, unregulated output light. None the less, thank you for the suggestion.

AnthonyMcEwen,
My reason for wanting an unregulated light is that I think it would be simpler and more reliable than a regulated light. It would have fewer parts that could malfunction. Also, I had not considered it, but I like Lynx_Arc's point.

Anyone and Everyone,
I have updated my original post again. This time, removing the low-output feature. I think a non-QTC El Capitan from Peak would work if I could get a pocket clip for it.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
There are many lights out there that are two mode (JetBeam BA10, BA20 for example) where the mode is selected by loosening or tightening the head. On those lights you could just leave the head tightened or loosened, and use it as a single mode light.

The tail switch on those lights provide a simple ON/OFF function and nothing else. A BA20 is under $40. The Specs are:

Mode Head Tight: 270 lumens, 1 h 45min, 133m throw, 4400cd
Mode Head Loose: 30 lumens, 35hrs, 49m throw, 600cd .

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Streamlight Jr. LED?

Single mode 85 lumens 4 hours on 2xAA or 5 hrs if you use the L91 lithiums.
They don't get much love over here, but a bunch of knife nuts really like the MicroStream (single AAA.) I don't find the quality up to the levels of 47s, Thrunite or Fenix, but it's not actually "bad" and the price is right.

ericbakuladavis

Newly Enlightened
I know it's been about 2.5 years since the last post, but I noticed I never thanked wjv and tjswarbrick. So, thank you both for your suggestions. And thanks to the other people who commented as well.

I ended up going with a non-qtc Peak El Capitan and I epoxied a clip to it. Here's a little description of the project for anyone interested: link

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
I know it's been about 2.5 years since the last post, but I noticed I never thanked wjv and tjswarbrick. So, thank you both for your suggestions. And thanks to the other people who commented as well.

I ended up going with a non-qtc Peak El Capitan and I epoxied a clip to it. Here's a little description of the project for anyone interested: link

I use to have a "El Capitan". . Except it was made by Browning and powered by 9mm ammo. . . I miss that pistol. It had the best bluing I've ever seen on a pistol.

So how is your El Capitan working for you?