JETBeam SRA40 Review (XM-L2, 960 Lm 4xAA)

viperxp

Enlightened
Good day, this is a review of a new flashlight from JETBeam ,the SRA40

in84MhBwOLsMg.png

SRA40 intelligent charging forerunner;
CREE XM-L2 led made brightness increase by 15%, with life span of 50,000;
Lightweight design with aircraft-grade aluminum alloy;
Max output of 960 lumens;
The latest "Crystal Coating Technology" along with "Precision Digital Technology"
provides extreme reflector performance of 390m beam distance;
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with double-sided anti-reflective coating
ensures the highest optical efficiency and light transmittance.
Three level of brightness
SOS strobe function
4*AA rechargeable batteries or 4* 1.5V Alkaline batteries
Intelligent charging function
Low power warning
CREE XM-L2 led with life span 50,000
Intelligent dual switches
Max output: 960lumens
Throw beamshot 390m
Impact resistant: 1.5m
Waterproof: IPX-8

The flashlight uses very popular AA battery factor. It can use Ni-MH and alkaline battеries. The special thing about this flashlight is that it can charge batteries as well, of course not alkalines that will explode if attempted.
The charging socket is open, but the flashlight is rated IPX-8 water resistant so I will test this claim later on.

On-paper comparison of 3-4 AA battery flashlights

Nitecore EA4Sunwayman D40AEagletac GX25A3Jetbeam SRA40Lumintop SD10
Approx Street price $ 66.00 $ 76.00 $ 95.00 $ 99.0055$
Weight w/o Batts159165.4148172115
Length mm117120.610912512.3
Head diameter mm404038.54940
Body diameter mm41.84235.54140
Outputs54333
Ansi Lm low653092010
Ansi Lm Highest860980915960800
Moon modeNoYesNoNoyes
Ansi range (throw) m283315284390260
Ansi intensity cd2000024800201003800017000
Type III Hard Ano.YesYesYesYesYes
Aircraft Grade Alu.YesYesYesYesYes
Hardened Glass lensYesYesYesYesYes
IPX8YesYesYesYesYes
# AA cells44343
Buttons1, 2-stage electronic2, electronic1, electronic2, electronic1, electronic
Switch locationSideSideSide, or optional rearSideSide
Emitter typeXM-LXM-L2XM-L2XM-L2XM-L2
Emitter binU2T6U2T6T6
Strobe modes34711
Low Voltage indicationYesYesYesYesNo
TailstandableYesYesYesYesYes
Current controlled outputYesYesYesYesYes
Needs battery magazine?NoYesNoNoYes
Other feature/sUnibody constructionStainless bezelStandard + button cap incl.Built-in Charge functionSS bezel
Works from D cell/32650 battery
Holster included?YesYesYesNoNo
Lanyard included?YesYesYesYesYes

I took the table from: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?373756-D40A-vs-GX25A3-vs-EA4

Conclusion - no ideal light. If you wish to have SS bezel you will have to use cassette for batteries, and if you want maximum throw - you will have to pay extra and know the meaning of Step-down.

Package

ibk2kl0VPBUKDw.png
iPvrBEpKXvlCR.png

iPvrBEpKXvlCR.png
iWnlI6HXJrci4.png

The flashlight arrives at blister package, and the whole flashlight can be seen. The package can be re-closed for storing the flashlight later on.

Kit

i1QNXX6a9tzSj.png
i0RSd0cIevOj3.png

ikSFyMkDnvitR.png
ibsj1p57YeWqlh.png

There are not too many bundled accessories. The flashlight comes with lanyard, spare O-ring, user manual, power adapter and warranty ticket. Lanyard is of a decent quality, just like Nitecore/Olight.

The flashlight

ibcSjo9VXDp0Nb.png
ibwoaUCaNhGWti.png

iO7nm1UJg1QKV.png
iY3sFefX5xGRj.png

iDNBXjKcDdW13.png

Build quality is just beyond any praise. The machining is perfect, no defects can be seen absolutely anywhere. The flashlight has very special color - not black or grey like the most but matte grey-dark brown. Looks great and feels very nice in hand. Due to the size and weight the flashlight cannot be easily carried just in just any pocket. Lack of SS bezel is very strange, if such a heavy flashlight lands with it's bezel on hard surface it will make the owner very sad I think.

Comparison, a kitty

izK6GWtpKUWxM.png
iFXZBWUSSdy59.png

ibde4XltkQlbpC.png
iNPWuLSZPdtqj.png
ibdYWV362YjCo3.png

The flashlight near AA Cola cans and a ragdoll cat. Note the weight of the flashlight in grams - with and without batteries. The cans are of 330 ml .

Detailing

ibuSk96Glf0xQk.png
iKhaNkeMve9Ng.png

iMsWoyy9sf21p.png
izpk81jKbainN.png

iblJlz1LrvZzxk.png

The finishing is just superb, as I early remarked. The flashlight easily tail-stands and has a special hole for using it on a tripod or connecting to a spike for self-defence or window breaking (similar to some SUNWAYMAN flashlights)

Indicators, controlling the flashlight

ippQ4W5szF5Py.png
ivx2xOTzefn1t.png
iJqAh2NsXBK0y.png

The buttons are covered with silicone and not too stiff or too soft, I think they will not suffer from accidental presses.
Controlling the flashlight is easy. The round button turns the flashlight on and off, and keeping it pressed from any state turns the strobe mode on. The flashlight has memory, it turns on from last mode used, unless it is a stobe mode.
The other button changes modes in this order : high-med-low-high-med.... When modes are changed the light output changes smoothly, it looks really good. Keeping the mode button pressed when the flashlight is on turns on the SOS mode. When the flashlight is off the mode button turns on the easy battery status monitor. Two lights batteries full, on - not full. One flashing - time to change batteries.
When the charger is connected one light is being lit at a time. When charging is completed both lights are being lit steady.

Light, a swim

ibhjLjbrSsAufa.png
imfrRN4hEv23S.png

Beam slices of the JETBEAM

iWJT7g30Lg348.png
ilnVzRB9wDETI.png

As I don't have any other multi AA flashlight I compared it to the Olight M22. It also has a big reflector and XM-L2 with 950 lumens. So .. the JETbeam out-throws the Olight , it can easily be seen at night. When comparing flashlights side by side, the Olight has more of a purple tint and the Jetbeam is more green-yellow. When viewed without comparison the light is simply cool white.

The Olight is on the left, JETBEAM on the right.

Swimming

i2mhya4wIKJqe.png
ibcUaSgpzg0Nly.png

The flashlight survived the swimming, so the patented jacket without external cover really works

Some numbers, step down

Flashlight/ModeLowHighMax (Turbo)
JETBeam SRA40660 (20 lm)7800 (240 lm)31500 (960 lm)
Olight M22 Warrior430 (20 lm)7500 (250 lm)19500 (950 lm)

So .. A bigger reflector and some clever flashlight knowledge allows the JETBEAM to beat its opponent in face of the Olight.
But not all is as good as I wanted , there is that step-down thing. Chinese colleagues measured 0-3 minutes ~960lm 3-13 minutes ~652lm 13-123 minutes ~441lm . the steps are easily seen.

I kept the flashlight on for more than a half an hour, it became warm but not much more. The turbo mode can be reactivated instantly after the flashlight steps-down.

PWM/HISSES

No PWM detected at any mode, and the flashlight is completely silent too.

Summary

The good

• Outstanding build quality
  • Integrated charger that did not make the flashlight much larger then its competitors
  • Great thrower

The bad

• Not many accessories included
  • "Evil" step down
  • No SS bezel

My conclusion

If what I noted as "bad" has little importance to you, then I can recommend the flashlight. The quality is outstanding, I have not seen a flashlight like this before, and I own some. The charger works great, and the light output is good too.

* English is not my mother tongue, so sorry for the typos.

Thank you for reading. I would love to read your comments and suggestions.

Special thanks to samgab for the proofread.

Last edited:

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Re: JETBeam SRA40 Review (XM-L2,960 Lm 4xAA)

Nice review. Do you happen to have a D40A or an EA4? I was interested to see a picture of the SRA40 next to either.

PapaLumen

Enlightened

"Stainless bezel
can use single D battery"

For D40A ? Do you mean can use a li-ion d-sized cell? I have the D40A.

viperxp

Enlightened

Nice review. Do you happen to have a D40A or an EA4? I was interested to see a picture of the SRA40 next to either.

Thank you. No , you can see the flashlight that I own in my signature.

viperxp

Enlightened

"Stainless bezel
can use single D battery"

For D40A ? Do you mean can use a li-ion d-sized cell? I have the D40A.

Wow, I did a mistake, I meant the Lumintop SD10 actually. I will try to add it to the table later.

viperxp

Enlightened

Re-hosted the images, all look bigger and better now :)

pblanch

Enlightened

Thanks for the review.

Not sure how everyone is taking this light. The integrated carrier is a standout for this light as I really don't like carriers. As for giant step downs in high and no moonlight I am really not fussed although it doesn't make sense too me. A gradual ramping down would make it more visually appealing. Especially on a premium product.

I cannot believed they missed the opportunity to include a USB charger. They are a universal method of charging these days (ipad is the classic example)

Living in Australia the included US plug is useless without carrying extra plugs. The USB port charger would make it an ideal way of recharging during an extended power outage with a Solar charger (with a USB port) or when traveling (I do a lot)

I have been waiting for a great 4AA light a bit brighter than my PA40. I don't think I have found it yet but will keep a good eye on this one.

slab288

Newly Enlightened

Hi there, Thanks for the review. Can you confirm the diameter is 49mm? The reason I ask is that I see it quoted as being 40mm rather than 49 and it looks more like 40 than 49 in the pictures I have looked at. Also, can you confirm that charger comes as part of the package? slab288

Last edited:

viperxp

Enlightened

The head diameter (outside) is 48.7 mm , jut measured.
The charger comes as part of the package.

roberta

Newly Enlightened

Did you notice the blatant knock at nitecore's ea4? The Sra40 is apparently an "outdoor FORERUNNER". Isn't a pioneer a forerunner by definition?

Good Day dc38,

Both JetBeam & Nitecore are owned by Sysmax.

Thank You,
Roberta

roberta

Newly Enlightened

I think that the cooperation is all over now ...

Good Day ViperXP, :)

I have just now checked at:

Sysmax Industry Trading Co., Ltd - LED flashlight, Led torch, light, torch
http://chimneychen.en.ec21.com/

There they state:

"Sysmax company is professional in manufacturing LED flashlight ,owning JET-Beam and NITECORE brand . it is high reputation to the customers all over the world. You can find us easily by searching JETBeam or NITECORE, also you can find us at the most famous flashlight forum like CPF .
Sysmax has always being seeking for the latest LED flashlight technology which makes our products never out of fashion. Our patented Smart Piston Drive system and Infinitely Brightness system make us unique from ..."

Thank You Very Much, :thumbsup:
Roberta :devil:

viperxp

Enlightened

Thank you , Roberta.
Well, it explains a lot.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review... I especially like that table! ;)
(Having done a bit of proofreading, spelling and grammatical errors really stand out to me, and there are one or two of minor consequence. Would you like me to PM you some suggestions for small corrections you might make to tidy it up a little?)

viperxp

Enlightened

Nice review... I especially like that table! ;)
(Having done a bit of proofreading, spelling and grammatical errors really stand out to me, and there are one or two of minor consequence. Would you like me to PM you some suggestions for small corrections you might make to tidy it up a little?)

Yes,sure

slab288

Newly Enlightened

The head diameter (outside) is 48.7 mm , jut measured.
The charger comes as part of the package.

Perfect, thanks for that appreciate the time and.........I would have purchased at 40mm but not at nearly 49mm so money saved LOL!!. slab288

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

Thank you , Roberta.
Well, it explains a lot.
I'm still not convinced, lol...they might still use the same factories, but that page has not been updated as the JB link does not work. Also, the date on the webpage is a full year before the...end of cooperation, lol. Anyways, that has all been discussed in another thread.

has the charger hole been tested against dynamic water usage? I noticed the bucket was less than a meter deep...ipx8 would denote a 2 meter water proofing sustainability for at least 30 min static pressure, right?

viperxp

Enlightened

has the charger hole been tested against dynamic water usage? I noticed the bucket was less than a meter deep...ipx8 would denote a 2 meter water proofing sustainability for at least 30 min static pressure, right?

No,no dynamic water usage. But I can simulate it. It will take some time before I will be able to submerge it in 2 meters depth .