Incandescent bulb suggestions for 5D Maglite running on 6AA NiMh Eneloop

ronniepudding

Enlightened
[I tried posing this in the modders forum, but haven't gotten any replies, so I'm trying here...]

I've settled on a cheap and easy method to put 6AA Eneloops into my 5D Maglite using assorted PVC plumbing bits, -- and I'm under the impression that might provide a very modest gain in output using the stock PR incandescent bulb (at the expense of bulb life, and run time). I'd like to find a brighter -- and hopefully more robust -- PR bulb for ~$5 that will work well with this configuration.

I'd prefer not to have to worry about melting the plastic lens and reflector. I'm not really interested in wowing or blinding anyone, I just want it as a backup light around the house. If there's a power outage or something where run time becomes important, I'll put the stock bulb back in and run it on 5D cells.

I have searched this topic quite a bit on CPF, and there's nothing recent coming up (I imagine that this topic is probably old news to many of you...) -- but in reading through old posts, the Philips HPX53 bulb would seem to be a good choice. Or perhaps the Pelican 3854 Low bulb? (Again, I don't want to melt the flashlight.) Any other suggestions?

Decent run time on 6 Eneloops would be a plus, but I'm guessing that's unlikely without going LED.

Thanks.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fivemega will be along shortly with hotwire bulb recommendations, but one easy one you could do is just use the 6-cell bulb; you'd be underdriving it, but with NiMHs it would hold that brightness for a long time, and would over time be a lot brighter than the stock 5-cell config.

If this is going to be a power outage light, the LED route would serve you well. Your local box stores sell the Nite-Ize 10mm "bulb" for ~$10, you'd get more than three days of steady output with that one (using 5Ds; alkalines have better low-drain longevity than NiMH.)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Fivemega will be along shortly with hotwire bulb recommendations, but one easy one you could do is just use the 6-cell bulb; you'd be underdriving it, but with NiMHs it would hold that brightness for a long time, and would over time be a lot brighter than the stock 5-cell config.

If this is going to be a power outage light, the LED route would serve you well. Your local box stores sell the Nite-Ize 10mm "bulb" for ~$10, you'd get more than three days of steady output with that one (using 5Ds; alkalines have better low-drain longevity than NiMH.)

Thanks StarHalo... I'll look for the 6-cell Maglite bulb as an option, presuming it's in stock at my big box home store. That would be my second preference if I can't find brighter bulb readily available at RS or online.

And when you're talking about the Nite-Ize 10mm bulb, I presume you mean the 1 watt PR "LED upgrade" (LRB-07-PR1W), right? That's my plan of last resort if the first and second preference don't work out. For a few reasons, I'd like to keep this light incandescent for the time being.

[Edit: I should clarify that power outage is not really the primary use case for this light. I live in town, and power is pretty stable. I have this 5D mounted above the basement stairs, and when I need to find something down there, I just grab it off the wall on my way down. So, I guess "basement light" is the primary use.]

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3854 Low might work, but it depends on how long you keep the light running. That might be ok for some folks, but I personally would not like a light with that sort of reliability issue. A 3853 Low is probably better, but they might be hard to find. If you are willing to spend the money for a metal reflector and a glass window, then the 3854 Low is an excellent choice IMO. Kaidomain has these parts for probably less than $20 total.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you, I would go with 4 protected 18650 and a 14.4 volt PR base worklight bulb.
Much more power, longer run time and wider opportunity of future upgrading to LED

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So, I guess "basement light" is the primary use.

Ah, no Nite-Ize drop-in then, too dim and ugly for general use. Would definitely prefer the Terralux MiniStar with its decent output and better-than-incan beam, the main upshot being that it'll never blow even if the light is dropped.

a 14.4 volt PR base worklight bulb.

The stock reflector can withstand that bulb?

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I appreciate the recommendations for getting more performance out of this light, and I will definitely keep in mind for the future the options of upgrading to Li Ion batteries, an aluminum reflector (textured MOP would be nice), glass lens, and perhaps a Pelican bulb or Terralux dropin. However, at the moment I'm already spending my flashlight "allowance" on Xmas presents for others, -- so I just want to limit this particular exercise to the Eneloops (which I already have) and a slightly brighter incan bulb.

I guess this is a relatively boring upgrade compared to what you all are used to doing, but it stays in my budget and will be fine for the limited use this light sees.

Given Justin Case's comments about the heat and reliability issues involved with the 3854 Low bulb, I'm leaning toward using a Philips HPX53 or a Maglite 6-cell bulb (PR Xenon). Both seem to be difficult to find in a brick-and-mortar store. Maglite seems to have gone over to the bi-pin design and is no longer making the PR bulbs. I can get the Phillips bulb from Dorcy online, so that may be the easiest option.