GTR LED auto headlamp on a bike?

jfcl

Newly Enlightened
GTR Lighting has an hi/lo beam LED auto headlamp replacement:

http://www.gtrlighting.com/products/19.html

It's 6W low beam and 12W high beam, so it almost seems practical for a bike with a battery. I'm currently running two 10W halogen VL400's off an SLA, so one of these would be less power than that.

There isn't much detail on the low beam/high beam configuration or standards.

Has anyone considered this option? A mount would have to be made, but otherwise it is weatherproof.

I don't trust them - their math is wrong. This from the website:

• [*=center]Headlamp uses Twelve 1 watt high power LED Chips with individual optics
    [*=center]Low Beam Light Output Power: 1,200 Lumen Output
    [*=center]High Beam Light Output Power: 2,400 Lumen Output
    [*=center]Low Beam:6w Power Consumption at 12VDC, 1.5Amps Power draw
    [*=center]High Beam:12w Power Consumption at 12VDC, 3Amps Power draw

Either their amps or watts are off. Also, 1200 lumens can be had with 1 emitter now. I'm sure that this is not DOT rated by any stretch.

I ran a 10w halogen on SLA, and am switching to a p60 light with 18650. 500 lumens is plenty for me, and the weight savings is great!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
and thats not all!
i see no dot approval,there are problems in the forums that tell me they are poorly designed,and how do you get proper cutoff from what appear to be simple tir optics?
looks like one to avoid!
I don't trust them - their math is wrong. This from the website:

• [*=center]Headlamp uses Twelve 1 watt high power LED Chips with individual optics
    [*=center]Low Beam Light Output Power: 1,200 Lumen Output
    [*=center]High Beam Light Output Power: 2,400 Lumen Output
    [*=center]Low Beam:6w Power Consumption at 12VDC, 1.5Amps Power draw
    [*=center]High Beam:12w Power Consumption at 12VDC, 3Amps Power draw

Either their amps or watts are off. Also, 1200 lumens can be had with 1 emitter now. I'm sure that this is not DOT rated by any stretch.

I ran a 10w halogen on SLA, and am switching to a p60 light with 18650. 500 lumens is plenty for me, and the weight savings is great!

jfcl

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the comments about trusting the GTR lamps. I had similar conclusions and I wouldn't buy them for my auto.

This was one of the options I was considering before I discovered the Philips SafeRide and B&M Luxos lights. Both of these have bicycle-specific optics and plenty of light output.

Thanks!