Enloop 1.900 mah rechargeables

bright star

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone just a question on my enloop aa 1,900mah , going to recharge now. checked with my volt meter in my volt meter reads 1.272. Is this a good time to recharge. Not sure and what percentage this is can someone please tell me when to charge and when a full charge would be on this battery thank you.:confused:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloop Gen 2 1900s can come hot off the charger at 1.45-1.48v IME and then settle down to 1.40v, or a tad less. When they get down to 1.20v, or below, they're 'mostly' depleted.

Funny, but I've taken some 1.30v AAs out, thinking they could stand a charge and I added a measly 230mA worth of charge.

You can top them off and see what you see. Or just run them in a light for 30 minutes and then toss them on the charger.

Chris

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't determine state of charge (SOC) or depth of discharge (DOD) of NiMH cells by measuring the open-circuit voltage (OCV)
It's a fairly (relatively speaking) meaningless measure in the case of this chemistry.
But if you use a good 1-2 hour charger, you should be able to safely put them on charge and it will correctly terminate. If it is a slow (4+ hour) charger, it may not terminate charge properly if they aren't discharged properly.
But as a rough guide, a lot of good devices run AA batteries until the cells are at 0.9V per cell UNDER LOAD... But then depending on the rate of discharge of the device, the voltage may bounce back to 1.2V OCV. If they're 0.9V OCV, they're likely overdischarged.

bright star

Newly Enlightened
okay so my batterys just came off the charger intellacharger i4. Almost 4 hours. Hot off the charger was 1.4 6. Following 30 minutes rest 1.40. All 4. So thinking this is good, I'm really liking this charger batteries were warm through the whole charge not hot. The same however cannot be said for the i 2., my battery's terminated hi and they were hot the whole time in the i 2. Needless to say the I 2 will be returned. Thank you everyone for the help much appreciated.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
okay so my batterys just came off the charger intellacharger i4. Almost 4 hours. Hot off the charger was 1.4 6. Following 30 minutes rest 1.40. All 4. So thinking this is good, I'm really liking this charger batteries were warm through the whole charge not hot. The same however cannot be said for the i 2., my battery's terminated hi and they were hot the whole time in the i 2. Needless to say the I 2 will be returned. Thank you everyone for the help much appreciated.

IIRC the i2 charges at 500mA.
The i4 is a bit of a special case. With four cells it will charge at 375mA, in which case 4 hours seems very reasonable. But's on the low side to charge Eneloops.
Consider close to 1000mA (1A) the ideal charge rate.

To have the i4 charge your Eneloops at 750mA instead of 375mA, use these rules of thumb:

• Only charge two Eneloops at a time.
  • Only charge in two adjacent slots (i.e. 1&2, 2&3, 3&4), or slot 1&4.
    (Charging in slots 1&3 or 2&4 will half the charge rate, as will charging 4 cells.)

As far as voltages go, most of my devices tunes for NiMH cells consider the Eneloops dry between 1.0V and 1.2V, but with a reasonably decent charger a proper termination is to be expected if you start charging at anything below 1.35V. Since Eneloops do not suffer from memory effect (according to Sanyo), this should be fine. I've had no trouble charging Eneloops on my i4v2, even at the lower 375mA, but if the cells become too hot to touch something is definitely wrong.

Last edited: