High CRI LED bulb

jcws6

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys - I'm looking to replace 3 standard A19 bulbs in my living room light with LEDs. Here's what I'm looking for:
- Omnidirectional
- Dimmable
- High CRI (>=90 preferred)
- No flicker
- At or under $20 each
- In stock and available to buy

Does anything like that exist these days?

I used to use the older style 3000K EcoSmart/LightingScience bulbs, which fit my requirements, but it looks like they're gone now.

jcws6

Newly Enlightened
The one I have been eying meets a few but not all of your requirements.

1) It is over your budget

2) It isn't yet available to buy

EnerGenie Bulb

I've also been considering the XLedia bulbs.

Well, the first one looks like it won't hit its funding goal, and the second one has a CRI of 80. So, I'm still out of luck. Also, I was looking for a 60-75W equivalent.

If Home Depot would bring back their "old" LED bulbs or the CREE TW would come in 3000K, I'd be all set.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a long thread on that one which you can read here, but I'll summarize the portions relevant to your query:

1) The way indiegogo works, it does not matter if they reach their goal, as they get whatever funds were put in anyway

2) The reason they set up up their fundraiser was not for the sole purpose of raising money

They are already set to begin production of these, and have the money to do it. They wanted feedback from the public. I was heavily skeptical of this, but over a couple of weeks I had a detailed conversation with their sales guy, and the high CRI offerings you see are because of my pushing. There are also multiple versions out with different power
requirements and related light outputs, which were not there before I began conversing
with them. I have no formal connection to the company, with the exception of enjoying
bicycling around Amsterdam, if that counts. :D

An LED bulb is a long term investment, and it is worth waiting for a good one. :)

The main reason I haven't bought a bunch yet (even though there were many changes made to the site because of my feedback, including the inclusion of a high CRI version), is because with my luck, the moment after I plunk the money down, something will come out which is, I don't know, 20% more efficient.

They have 85 CRI versions with loads of light, and 92 CRI versions with less light.

With respect to the second one, the XLedia, you are correct in that they are only 80
CRI. They have also been out of stock in the brighter/higher power version for some time.

Publicly stating the device can be safely used in enclosed fixtures is a badge
of confidence in the durability of the driver and their own belief that the device will
hold up over the long haul. LED "bulbs" with this capacity publicly mentioned are few and
far between. While I have no intention of running them in enclosed fixtures, this is
a requirement as it carries weight in the company's overall feeling about the quality of their product.

Best luck to you in your search. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use the older style 3000K EcoSmart/LightingScience bulbs, which fit my requirements, but it looks like they're gone now.
I was not aware LightingScience bulbs were >80 CRI. Mine was affecting TV reception and when they were recalled, I just chucked them.

What lumens/wattage equivalent are you looking for?

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
jcws6, if you are in California, see if you can locate the new Cree High CRI lightbulb. I just picked up two of these @ $9.97 each (thanks to SoCal Edison subsidy) tonight at the home despot, and by eye they are the most convincing 60W incan impostor that I have seen to date, CFL *or* LED.

If you aren't in California, the regular Crees are still worth a look, though their CRI is only 80.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also post a "WTB" in the MP and see if someone in California can help you out.

I asked at my local Home Depot and they had no clue as to whether or not
any subsidies were coming down the pike.

jcws6

Newly Enlightened
I was not aware LightingScience bulbs were >80 CRI. Mine was affecting TV reception and when they were recalled, I just chucked them.

What lumens/wattage equivalent are you looking for?

Some test I read had them at 85 CRI. I have two of them in a dimmable fixture, and I've never had any trouble with flicker/buzzing/interference. Never knew about a recall, though. Guess that explains why I can't find 'em.

I'm looking for 60-75W, and 800-900 lumens.

jcws6, if you are in California, see if you can locate the new Cree High CRI lightbulb. I just picked up two of these @ $9.97 each (thanks to SoCal Edison subsidy) tonight at the home despot, and by eye they are the most convincing 60W incan impostor that I have seen to date, CFL *or* LED.

I can buy the CREE TW in bulk here, but they're still only available in 2700K or 5000K varieties. I was looking for something more in the 3000K-3500K range.

Arilou

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for roughly the same thing, but I couldn't find anything that actually meets all those points.

Here's what I ended up buying:

Eaglelight T18-E27-8W150-WW-DIM: 3200K, omnidirectional, dimmable, 84 lm/W, no flicker. Cons: High price, low CRI.

Lighting Ever 10W warm white: 3000K, 81 lm/W, no flicker, price <$20. 83 CRI doesn't look that bad to me. Cons: not dimmable

Aluratek 10W warm white: 3000K, dimmable, no flicker, 3 for $60 at amazon. 82 CRI. Cons: turn-on delay, low energy efficiency, low brightness

LEDnovation LEDH-A19-100-1-27D-I: 2700K, dimmable, no flicker, high CRI. Cons: high price, not the CCT you wanted.

wws944

Enlightened
The Ecosmart/LSG (also known as LSG Definity DFN 19 WW 120) 40w equivs that they were selling a year or two ago were rated at 85 CRI, and 3000K color temp. These were the same ones where some early serial number bulbs were recalled.

I have nine of them in my house. I did have a RFI issue on one of the dimmer circuits (Lutron non-LED Diva), but only when three sockets on the circuit had the bulbs in them. The circuit was fairly clean with one LED bulb, and a little noisy with two. With three, all h*** broke loose. I replaced the problematic dimmer with a simple on/off switch and the RFI problems went away.

Last edited:

jcws6

Newly Enlightened
I narrowed my bulb choices down to 6, then gathered some stats, in case anyone else is curious. The 6 bulbs + the old 13.5W EcoSmart I liked are in the table below. Most of the stats are "true" numbers, as tested by someone who knows LEDs better than I do (mostly ledbenchmark.com). The stats in red & the Life column have not been tested and are just manufacturer's claims. The prices are the lowest non-ebay prices I could find.

JBGZHs7.png

I'd have to say that the Feit/LEDnovation/Philips L-Prize bulbs would be my top 3. However, they're all $30-$40 for a single bulb using a technology that's rapidly evolving/improving. So, in the end, I'm just going to buy a bunch of incandescents & wait until prices for decent LED bulbs become reasonable.

Last edited:

jcws6

Newly Enlightened
I found a place where I can buy the L-Prize bulb for $35 each. Also, it looks like Lowe's sells the Feit bulb rebranded as Utilitech for $20 each (or $65 for 4 at Costco - thanks, carnal).

My question is - will I really notice the difference between 84 & 90 CRI? If I can't see the difference, there's no sense in paying almost double for a bulb.

brickbat

Enlightened
How could anyone reading this possibly answer your question? Jeez, if you're that concerned about 84 vs. 90 CRI just buy one of each and find out...

jcws6

Newly Enlightened
How could anyone reading this possibly answer your question? Jeez, if you're that concerned about 84 vs. 90 CRI just buy one of each and find out...

I'm asking a general question about how the human eye perceives CRI. I could buy one of each, except I'd have to buy the L-Prize on the internet, and I'd have to pay to ship it back if I didn't like it.

Why not one of the newer 3000k Lighting Science Omni's? Until last week, these were available through Home Depot's Ecosmart brand -- there might be a few left over locally.

The stats show it's an inferior bulb for the price, as compared to the Feit/Utilitech bulb.