Tri EDC Noise?

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
Is it normal for a Tri EDC to have a high pitched frequency noise in all modes when first turning on the light? In low mode it's barely audible, medium mode it is slightly higher, and in high it's noticeable within a few feet of the light. After a minute or so when the light has warmed up a bit the high frequency humming seems to go away...

I got the light from here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...i-Neutral-Ti-Clip-Crenelated-Bezel-Glow-Posts which was apparently bought from here... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?340760-Ti-Tri-EDC-Clip-Crenulated-Bezel-Glow.

Anyway, the noise doesn't appear to affect the function of the light as there is no flickering/etc, I was just wanting to know if it's normal or not.

Thanks!

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
Try tightenting up the light engine a little bit... That might take care of it.. If the light engine is loose, you may get some flicker and whining..

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
Any tips for easily getting the lens back in to the head? I removed the LE from the head but found that putting it back in was challenging due to the rubber o-ring that sits on top of the lens.

The whining noise is much less noticeable now... I may take it apart again later to give the threads/etc a proper cleaning and lube. In any case, if you guys have any tips on the best/easiest way to re-assemble I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

easilyled

Flashaholic
AFAIK, the rubber o-ring goes in first before the lens. Just drop it down and seat it flat. Then drop the lens down and if it doesn't fall down flush, then poking it with a finger from the outside of the head inwards will make it fall flat. Then hold the head sideways and screw the L.E (with the optic correctly engaging in the indents over the pcb) carefully back making sure that the optic doesn't become unseated.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
If you send it off to Flucero28 for reprogramming, it will take care of the wining problem. He changes the frequency the driver runs at so there is no audible sounds. (Worked well for my Mac SST-50) Plus you can get more or better spaced modes. Or even change how the mode memory works. Win, win!

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
If you send it off to Flucero28 for reprogramming, it will take care of the wining problem. He changes the frequency the driver runs at so there is no audible sounds. (Worked well for my Mac SST-50) Plus you can get more or better spaced modes. Or even change how the mode memory works. Win, win!

Thanks for the rec! It doesn't bother me too much right now but it's good to know there are people out there who can fix and reprogram the light!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
I had the same issue and was easily fixed by tightening the light engine that had become loose. Try this first before anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jkid1911

Enlightened
I had the same issue and was easily fixed by tightening the light engine that had become loose. Try this first before anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

This is very sound advise...!!

Also very sound advise and you get the benefit of incredibly usable programing with that perfect .5 second latch time...!