Olympia Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best AAA led keychain flashlight?

Default Best AAA led keychain flashlight?

Hi,
    I'm looking for a new flashlight for my key chain. Currently I have a 4Sevens mini but I'm looking for a AAA light. What would be the smallest with the most Lumens? Under $50.- would be cool (A strobe and userfriendly UI too)
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Ruudr; 11-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Default Re: Best AAA led keychain flashlight?

I will be watching this thread. I'm also looking for a 1x AAA light for my keychain. I bought an atom A0, and really like the light, I like the dual brightness level and that it always starts on low. The biggest reason I have not put the A0 on my keychain is because the super tiny amount of metal that surrounds the hole where the keyring goes. I have had too many aaa minimags have this ring break after being on the ring for some time. Also I love the magnet on this light, but don't really want a magnet on my keychain, so the search for a good keychain light continues.

My favourite one so far's been the Olight i3S - there's a strobe, but it's kinda hidden. If you want something more immediate, maybe you should choose another one. The i3S has three modes- medium- high-moonlight. When you cycle through those three twice, you get to the strobe. It's clip and run times are impeccable, however. Good luck in your search : )
    ~ ~ ~ Why did God create the night? So that we can use our flashlights. ~ ~ ~

O think its one AA but might be AAA, I also vote the I3s, have one on order at the moment, mulitpal modes including a low low moonlight mode and a strobe and fully waterproof, at a very competive price, cheacks all the boxes for me as other options I was looking at when looking for the same thing were for some reason a bit more expensive.

£26-30 + deilvery In the UK or £20 delivered from China.
    I blame CPF for handing me the dope and whispering, "the first one's free....."
    (Originally by Dss_777 on 14/11/2013)

If you want a one mode bright little light try a LED Lenser P3 AFS P.

No strobe but it's the brightest little flashlight I own.

The flood to spot function works well also.

It's around 30 bucks.

What would be the brightest to get? Cr123 battery is also ok.

Quote Originally Posted by N_N_R View Post
    My favourite one so far's been the Olight i3S - there's a strobe, but it's kinda hidden. If you want something more immediate, maybe you should choose another one. The i3S has three modes- medium- high-moonlight. When you cycle through those three twice, you get to the strobe. It's clip and run times are impeccable, however. Good luck in your search : )
    That's what I've got too, and am pretty happy with it. The keychain bit broke after a month in my pocket, but I just put it on it's own split ring and it's been fine ever since. Plenty bright, ran it through the washing machine a few weeks ago with no ill effects.

You might also look at the
    Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-AL. It seems to have good reviews, and has 132 lumens in a tiny package.

Need a new one as well, as button battery light giving up the ghost after 7 years service.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudr View Post
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a new flashlight for my key chain. Currently I have a 4Sevens mini but I'm looking for a AAA light. What would be the smallest with the most Lumens? Under $50.- would be cool (A strobe and userfriendly UI too)
    Thanks!
    I cannot see a real reason to need a strobe on a AAA cell light that is why the majority have not.
    Sent from my Mobile using my sticky fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by zip View Post
    If you want a one mode bright little light try a LED Lenser P3 AFS P.

No strobe but it's the brightest little flashlight I own.

The flood to spot function works well also.

It's around 30 bucks.

Well I'll be damed, I was about to reply with a sarcastic comment on led lenser products and comment on since when was a 12 lumen P3 bright! (Now 75 lumens that hugely better than the luafable feeble attempt of the normal P3!

Then I looked it up, it actually dosent look to bad and certernly no bog standard P3, focus system actualy looks like it works unlike on the normal P3!

Might be an interesting one and I like the momentary switch still only Splashproof, but dosent look to bad, I'm amazed it looks like led have made a semi decent product!

Although I reckon there's still better out there.
    I blame CPF for handing me the dope and whispering, "the first one's free....."
    (Originally by Dss_777 on 14/11/2013)

I've got an olight ITP I3s as well and it never fails to 'wow' people. Got a 10440 cell inside it and the light coming out of it on high mode never fails to impress!

Flashaholic

+1 for the Olight i3s. It's cheap, bright, and nicely made. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the UI as I do not particularly like the twist on/off to change modes but I think that's pretty much the standard in AAA keychain lights.

Any thing SS or Ti so is doesn't get beat to hell haha Klarus Mi X6? $49
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

I have the Klarus Mi X6 Ti and it is light as a feather. Not as bright as the XP-G2 lights running on li-ion cells, but very nice. I like the Klarus more than the SS NiteCore T5s.

The OLight I3s is very nice. Square threads, nice beam and (except for the key chain attachment) very robust. The runtime on M is very impressive and this is why I accept the M>H>L UI. It gets hot fast on H with a li-ion, but M is bright enough for most needs.

I also have the Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-Al, which is very similar to the I3s. The UI is L>M>H, which I generally prefer. No blinkies on this one.

My favorite AAA is the Peak Eiger. I have one with the Nichia 219 mule from Oveready. I have an AAA body when I need longer runtimes and generally use a 10180 body. I also have a large optic XP-G2 N on a ss AAA body, no QTC and a momentary switch. The AAA bodies are not small and both lights are built like a bank vault. I always carry the Nichia 219 mule with a 10180 body because it is so small and useful.

Another favorite is the Maratac AAA copper modded by Vinh with an XP-G2 N. It is flashaholic heaven to feel the whole light get warm running a li-ion on H. The key chain attachment is stronger than it looks - it has never failed. I also have a copper Lumintop Worm modded with a very warm XP-G2 and it also very nice.

Other AAA lights to consider: Dereelight DA3 has a very nice beam but a weird tint, the Thrunite Ti2 has an interesting UI (twist to L, keep twisting to H), the Tank007 E09 is inexpensive and has a more throwy beam and the DQG AA IV is SS and very small (the size of a 47 Preon PO). Clickies include Preon single AAA, Lumintop Tool, LumaPower LM21 and Pelican 1910.
    Last edited by yoyoman; 11-13-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'm am also looking for the Fenix E15,the Klarus mi10 or the Olight is3... Difficult! What shall I do?

Flashaholic

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'm am also looking for the Fenix E15,the Klarus mi10 or the Olight is3... Difficult! What shall I do?
    Easy... GET ALL 3!!!

These are the two I'm considering. Since you have both, I would like to know which of these two you prefer, and why.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    The OLight I3s is very nice. Square threads, nice beam and (except for the key chain attachment) very robust. The runtime on M is very impressive and this is why I accept the M>H>L UI. It gets hot fast on H with a li-ion, but M is bright enough for most needs.

I also have the Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-Al, which is very similar to the I3s. The UI is L>M>H, which I generally prefer. No blinkies on this one.

Last year I bought an Olight i3 .... I liked it so much I bought another one. Then this year... I decided to sell them both. I regretted it. I bought an Olight i3S.... then after half a year of use, I decided to sell it.... and after a month without it I decided to amend this mistake, got another i3S and will hopefully never sell it again.
    ~ ~ ~ Why did God create the night? So that we can use our flashlights. ~ ~ ~

I have an itp a3 upgraded, fenix e01, sunwayman x3, and lumapower edc. As far as 'best' it's all subjective. I've also read that as far as aaa's go, you cannot beat the ui, quality, and smooth threads of the itp a3 upgraded. I love mine-slim, light, and pretty darn bright. I believe the fenix e05 is even shorter, and also very nice.

My only thing is that I don't really like any of my aaa's on the keychain so far, and that's an issue for me. Hence I like cr123's to pocket.

The OLight I3s and Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-Al are very, very similar. The mode sequence on the I3s is M>H>L. I generally prefer L>M>H because I don't mind twisting to get more light and I don't like getting blinded. But I don't mind the sequence in the I3s - we're not talking about 500 lumens and the runtime on M is very respectable. The mode sequence on the CA1-Al is L>M>H, if that is a requirement for you.

I like the square threads on the I3s - they provide a solid feel, but there are not a lot of threads and some people find the threads grippy rather than silky smooth. The beam is just slightly nicer than the CA1-Al. The triangle key chain attachment is not robust and should be removed and replaced with a split ring - not a big deal. the I3s also comes in different colors if you're interested in that. There are several reviews of the I3s and you should read them for more insight than I provide.

I like the knurling on the CA1-Al. I use this light when I need to start on L. There is also a version in titanium if you want.

I like and use both lights and think you would be happy with either one. I don't know the current prices or what shipping deals you can get and that may factor into your choice.

Normally I would suggest buying both - that's the CPF way. But if you're going to spend that much money, get a Peak Eiger from Oveready or a copper Maratac modded by Vinh.

Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for! I found an i3s for a good price with free shipping, so that's what I went with. It was $10 less than the only deal I found on the CA1.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    I like and use both lights and think you would be happy with either one. I don't know the current prices or what shipping deals you can get and that may factor into your choice.

Good luck. Be careful with the key chain attachment. Don't loosen the head too much when you turn the light off or you will lose the head (and the battery). Let us know what you think of the light. If you don't like it, there are many others that we can suggest

Ive got the i3s as well as the thrunite ti. Had them both for over a year so my i3s doesnt have strobe. The thrunite is $10 on ebay and has a slighty farther throw. I accidentally washed it once also with no problem. It gets my vote. Also the use is simpler, twist on, twist further for high. Theres a "dqg" that's smallest but I dont own one.
    the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it

If I could find a Thrunite ti or ti2 for $10 or so I'd grab it! Unfortunately the only one I can find anywhere close to $10 is the tis (single-high mode only). I really need a low mode in an EDC/pocket light. The best price I could find on the dual mode was around $15 and that meant ordering it direct from China or Hong Kong...

I noticed that in some reviews of the Thrunite ti and ti2, the UI was referred to as "twist-and-hope" because the high mode didn't always engage... have you had that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by viciouskev View Post
    Ive got the is as well as the thrunite ti. Had them both for over a year so my i3s doesnt have strobe. The thrunite is $10 on ebay and has a slighty farther throw. I accidentally washed it once also with no problem. It gets my vote. Also the use is simpler, twist on, twist further for high. Theres a "dqg" that's smallest but I dont own one.
    Last edited by rje58; 11-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Sorry about the price quote. When I last bought them if you watched ebay and werent picky about a certain color you could get one for $7-8. Looks like its $15 now, still an awesome deal. I havent had that problem, but I gave my dad one as a gift and it happened to him. It was an easy fix. The way it works is twist and a contact touches the battery engaging low, twist more and it presses the contact all the way closed engaging high. I had seen where the contact bends shut all the way so you lose low, but just bend it a little back out and youre good. The reason it gets stuck only low is that theres a small dimple to contact the bottom of the battery inside the light. If you crank the cap too tight to turn it on, it indents the battery so its slightly shorter between contact points. It wont be long enough to fully close the contact and engage high, only low. I just replaced the battery. It doesnt even necessarily ruin the battery, it just wont work in that light.
    the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it

Lightbulb Re: Best AAA led keychain flashlight?

I've been using a Klarus MiX5 Au which is a AAAA light 76 max lumens four outputs inc strobe, no complaints so far. Solid build twisty isn't ideal but very reliable. I'm staying away from 47s they've pissed me off with their clickies not working properly with the p1. I bought my self and a few friends p1s with clickies all of them developed apparently intermittent contact loss, (I read in another thread) I thought it was a fault in the clicky, apparently it can be fixed with al shims but 'meh gonna use my klarus for now, until I get me a lummi.

Someone might slap slap me for recommending this, but I'm gonna anyway. It's not a AAA it's a 123 and from what I can see from my brief time on this forum the company doesn't get a lot of love. The LED Lenser F1. In my opinion it's a good light, small, four output settings inc 400 lumen strobe!!! And impressive runtime at max for it's size. I got it for $50 on sale and it outshines a lot of the competition IMO.

One vote for the FourSevens Preon P0. Very simple, pure flood, and great combination of moonlight and low.

Flashaholic*

I have the E15 and it is always in my pocket regardless of which edc i have with me,the Klarus is a tad dear compared to other similar lights like the Itp and Olight.My Itp is a covert m-l-h version which i prefer and has no markings on it as it was bought from a cancelled US government department order.

If you want a decent single mode key light you could do no worse than the Fenix EO5 and use the extra for your next light.
    Last edited by mcnair55; 11-18-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Sent from my Mobile using my sticky fingers.

Right - but which part of 'AAA' don't you understand?

I just received my Olight i3s today and my first impressions are all good. I can see this being in my EDC rotation. The modes are well spaced for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast