Best AAA led keychain flashlight?

Ruudr

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm looking for a new flashlight for my key chain. Currently I have a 4Sevens mini but I'm looking for a AAA light. What would be the smallest with the most Lumens? Under $50.- would be cool :D (A strobe and userfriendly UI too)
Thanks!

Last edited:

FourBin Labs

Newly Enlightened
I will be watching this thread. I'm also looking for a 1x AAA light for my keychain. I bought an atom A0, and really like the light, I like the dual brightness level and that it always starts on low. The biggest reason I have not put the A0 on my keychain is because the super tiny amount of metal that surrounds the hole where the keyring goes. I have had too many aaa minimags have this ring break after being on the ring for some time. Also I love the magnet on this light, but don't really want a magnet on my keychain, so the search for a good keychain light continues.

N_N_R

Enlightened
My favourite one so far's been the Olight i3S - there's a strobe, but it's kinda hidden. If you want something more immediate, maybe you should choose another one. The i3S has three modes- medium- high-moonlight. When you cycle through those three twice, you get to the strobe. It's clip and run times are impeccable, however. Good luck in your search : )

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
O think its one AA but might be AAA, I also vote the I3s, have one on order at the moment, mulitpal modes including a low low moonlight mode and a strobe and fully waterproof, at a very competive price, cheacks all the boxes for me as other options I was looking at when looking for the same thing were for some reason a bit more expensive.

£26-30 + deilvery In the UK or £20 delivered from China.

zip

Newly Enlightened
If you want a one mode bright little light try a LED Lenser P3 AFS P.

No strobe but it's the brightest little flashlight I own.

The flood to spot function works well also.

It's around 30 bucks.

Ruudr

Newly Enlightened
What would be the brightest to get? Cr123 battery is also ok.

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
My favourite one so far's been the Olight i3S - there's a strobe, but it's kinda hidden. If you want something more immediate, maybe you should choose another one. The i3S has three modes- medium- high-moonlight. When you cycle through those three twice, you get to the strobe. It's clip and run times are impeccable, however. Good luck in your search : )
That's what I've got too, and am pretty happy with it. The keychain bit broke after a month in my pocket, but I just put it on it's own split ring and it's been fine ever since. Plenty bright, ran it through the washing machine a few weeks ago with no ill effects.

You might also look at the
Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-AL. It seems to have good reviews, and has 132 lumens in a tiny package.

stonepark

Newly Enlightened
Need a new one as well, as button battery light giving up the ghost after 7 years service.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I'm looking for a new flashlight for my key chain. Currently I have a 4Sevens mini but I'm looking for a AAA light. What would be the smallest with the most Lumens? Under $50.- would be cool :D (A strobe and userfriendly UI too)
Thanks!

I cannot see a real reason to need a strobe on a AAA cell light that is why the majority have not.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
If you want a one mode bright little light try a LED Lenser P3 AFS P.

No strobe but it's the brightest little flashlight I own.

The flood to spot function works well also.

It's around 30 bucks.

Well I'll be damed, I was about to reply with a sarcastic comment on led lenser products and comment on since when was a 12 lumen P3 bright! (Now 75 lumens that hugely better than the luafable feeble attempt of the normal P3!

Then I looked it up, it actually dosent look to bad and certernly no bog standard P3, focus system actualy looks like it works unlike on the normal P3!

Might be an interesting one and I like the momentary switch still only Splashproof, but dosent look to bad, I'm amazed it looks like led have made a semi decent product!

Although I reckon there's still better out there.

crazyson

Newly Enlightened
I've got an olight ITP I3s as well and it never fails to 'wow' people. Got a 10440 cell inside it and the light coming out of it on high mode never fails to impress!

tangfj

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Olight i3s. It's cheap, bright, and nicely made. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the UI as I do not particularly like the twist on/off to change modes but I think that's pretty much the standard in AAA keychain lights.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Klarus Mi X6 Ti and it is light as a feather. Not as bright as the XP-G2 lights running on li-ion cells, but very nice. I like the Klarus more than the SS NiteCore T5s.

The OLight I3s is very nice. Square threads, nice beam and (except for the key chain attachment) very robust. The runtime on M is very impressive and this is why I accept the M>H>L UI. It gets hot fast on H with a li-ion, but M is bright enough for most needs.

I also have the Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-Al, which is very similar to the I3s. The UI is L>M>H, which I generally prefer. No blinkies on this one.

My favorite AAA is the Peak Eiger. I have one with the Nichia 219 mule from Oveready. I have an AAA body when I need longer runtimes and generally use a 10180 body. I also have a large optic XP-G2 N on a ss AAA body, no QTC and a momentary switch. The AAA bodies are not small and both lights are built like a bank vault. I always carry the Nichia 219 mule with a 10180 body because it is so small and useful.

Another favorite is the Maratac AAA copper modded by Vinh with an XP-G2 N. It is flashaholic heaven to feel the whole light get warm running a li-ion on H. The key chain attachment is stronger than it looks - it has never failed. I also have a copper Lumintop Worm modded with a very warm XP-G2 and it also very nice.

Other AAA lights to consider: Dereelight DA3 has a very nice beam but a weird tint, the Thrunite Ti2 has an interesting UI (twist to L, keep twisting to H), the Tank007 E09 is inexpensive and has a more throwy beam and the DQG AA IV is SS and very small (the size of a 47 Preon PO). Clickies include Preon single AAA, Lumintop Tool, LumaPower LM21 and Pelican 1910.

Last edited:

Ruudr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'm am also looking for the Fenix E15,the Klarus mi10 or the Olight is3... Difficult! What shall I do?

rje58

Enlightened
These are the two I'm considering. Since you have both, I would like to know which of these two you prefer, and why.

Thank you!!

The OLight I3s is very nice. Square threads, nice beam and (except for the key chain attachment) very robust. The runtime on M is very impressive and this is why I accept the M>H>L UI. It gets hot fast on H with a li-ion, but M is bright enough for most needs.

I also have the Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-Al, which is very similar to the I3s. The UI is L>M>H, which I generally prefer. No blinkies on this one.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Last year I bought an Olight i3 .... I liked it so much I bought another one. Then this year... I decided to sell them both. I regretted it. I bought an Olight i3S.... then after half a year of use, I decided to sell it.... and after a month without it I decided to amend this mistake, got another i3S and will hopefully never sell it again.

cornholio2188

Newly Enlightened
I have an itp a3 upgraded, fenix e01, sunwayman x3, and lumapower edc. As far as 'best' it's all subjective. I've also read that as far as aaa's go, you cannot beat the ui, quality, and smooth threads of the itp a3 upgraded. I love mine-slim, light, and pretty darn bright. I believe the fenix e05 is even shorter, and also very nice.

My only thing is that I don't really like any of my aaa's on the keychain so far, and that's an issue for me. Hence I like cr123's to pocket.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OLight I3s and Titanium Innovations Illumina CA1-Al are very, very similar. The mode sequence on the I3s is M>H>L. I generally prefer L>M>H because I don't mind twisting to get more light and I don't like getting blinded. But I don't mind the sequence in the I3s - we're not talking about 500 lumens and the runtime on M is very respectable. The mode sequence on the CA1-Al is L>M>H, if that is a requirement for you.

I like the square threads on the I3s - they provide a solid feel, but there are not a lot of threads and some people find the threads grippy rather than silky smooth. The beam is just slightly nicer than the CA1-Al. The triangle key chain attachment is not robust and should be removed and replaced with a split ring - not a big deal. the I3s also comes in different colors if you're interested in that. There are several reviews of the I3s and you should read them for more insight than I provide.

I like the knurling on the CA1-Al. I use this light when I need to start on L. There is also a version in titanium if you want.

I like and use both lights and think you would be happy with either one. I don't know the current prices or what shipping deals you can get and that may factor into your choice.

Normally I would suggest buying both - that's the CPF way. But if you're going to spend that much money, get a Peak Eiger from Oveready or a copper Maratac modded by Vinh.