Looking for a sercure 40MM torch mount.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I am a keen cyclest who cycles frequently and while I will at some point get a bike spersfic torch, they are expensive, so I have decoded is would like to use my new torch as bike light as its plenty bright with no step down on high mode.

It will be for on road use and down paved trails (mounted to a MTB and a Road bike but used on road although UK roads can be harsh, and are pot holed so needs to be able to take the hits of pot holes but not up to extreme mounting bikeing standard) so I'm lucky in that it dosent need to be able to stay secure going through rock gardens ect, haha like I have the skill for that in the day let alone night!!

The torch is quite thick (and here lies the problem) at 40mm approx (its a D40A) and its also heavy for its size (165g empty and about 100g loaded so around 250-275g depending on batterys used.

I know it is not an ideal bike light due to size and waight but I like the AA features.

I will also be talking to club members ect, I have see the long blocks mount but I am not sure it would be able to accommodate 40mm thick? And also the weight, so what do you guys use to secure your torches to the bike.

Bar thickness won't be an issue as I can use old inner tubes + electrical tape to make my bars thicker if needs be as thats what I have done in the past.

Price is not a matter at the moment so long as its not uber expensive, maby some after market bike light bracket will work or something who knows.

This question will be posted both on CPF and Bikefourms.net

Thank you for your time and help!

Lite.Brite

Newly Enlightened
I agree bike lights are expensive. But I know a lot of R&D work does go into their designs. At the moment, exposure lights are my preference. But I wish surefire would get in to the game.

In a pinch, I have used gorilla tape and I would suggest looking in to a nice headlamp or miners lamp setup.

Talbingo

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for an alternative mounting system for a standard flashlight also.

I have a D40A together with some cheaper Chinese options and would prefer to tinker with these than to purchase a dedicated bike light. I must point out that I'm not a dedicated cyclist so only just cruising on my bike. Not looking to set any speed records..lol

Try a google search for "bike hack lights" and this should give you a couple of secure alternatives for even the weighty D40A.

The one I'm looking to explore is the handlebar stem adaption. I anticipate it would be nice & solid with little or no shake. I'm thinking of ways to have my light easy to remove when I leave the bike in the rack at the shops. Don't want it to sprout legs & walk away.

I hope you find this interesting..maybe suit your needs.

s.
6a0120a7ed5f9d970b017ee87de462970d-pi

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Hmm some interesting ideas.

My current plan is a P60 host in 2*18650 flavour with a Sportact floody 900 lumen dropping for two hours of high output, nice thin super easy to mount form factor.

No fade as it has near perfect regulation to, and easy to swap out battery's for more runtime or run two at the same time for 1800 lumens when offroad. I love the flood as I find hot spots distracting.

Also looking at lights with a tripod mount as plenty of tripod action camera mounts out there and also any way of attaching a tripod mount to a torch.

Only problem with P60 is it gets long if you want runtime I'd rather have a thichker 4*18650 torch that's shorter.