The Metallurgy of the P-38

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all know them: those handy little folding can openers.

Connoisseurs have their favorite brands: Speaker, Shelby, Mallin, Kay, and others.

But what I want to know is: what kind of metal was used?

Certainly not a high-chromium stainless. They aren't shiny. And they are plenty magnetic.

And yet I've never seen one rust!

How about the hardness: anyone know what the Rockwell number is?

Is it different for the blade and for the handle?

Even more basic: what's the Rockwell number of your average soup can?

One reason this is of interest: titanium.

It's difficult to get titanium harder than around 35-40 HRC, which would be unacceptably soft for a knife.

But maybe it's harder than a tin can?

So could you make a titanium P-38?

Personally, I wouldn't. Part of what I like about the P-38 is that it is dirt-cheap, almost disposable, and you can use it to do the dirty work, whatever that may be. I don't want a diamond-inlaid P-38, and I don't want a titanium one.

But is it possible?

And what kind of steel are the ordinary ones made from?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
3.2.1 Carbon Steel, sheet and strip. The material for the can openers shall be carbon steel sheet and strip conforming to numbers 1050, 1055, or 1065 of QQ-S-700.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
3.2.1 Carbon Steel, sheet and strip. The material for the can openers shall be carbon steel sheet and strip conforming to numbers 1050, 1055, or 1065 of QQ-S-700.

Good research. I found this, read down. Today some of them are being made with stainless steel.

Bill

dss_777

Enlightened

""... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :)