Calling Petzl MYO 5 owners: Mod possible?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am quite enamoured with the MYO 5 design, but feel that there is a possible shortcoming with the use of an incandescent bulb. I have seen the bulb and think that it is well built to withstand quite a high level of impact shock. Nevertheless, it is still an incandescent bulb and subject to the usual deficits, especially yellowing as the battery runs down.

I was wondering if it might be possible to substitute the EverLED in place of the incandescent? I know that there will be quite a fair bit of modding to do as the original bulb is bi-pin. But before I blow about AU$150 on it, I need to know some things.

Is the incandescent direct driven or regulated?
Is there enough space to put in a PR base holder or would it be better to separate the circuit and side-emitter LS?
If it is to separate the circuit and LED, would there be enough space to put in a Sandwich anywhere?
How well does the reflector work on the long range focus of the original incandescent, and can anyone hazard a guess as to how well it will focus a SE?
Would the output of the SE compare well to the output of the original incandescent?

Thanks in advance.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang on a sec and I'll post a picture for you.

Here it is:

myoinside.jpg

The black area is tapered to fit the back of the reflector and is about the size of a US penny. The silver contacts around the edge activate the LED and LED selection circuit as well as the Incand. circuit. So if you gut it, you would need to put in a new switching mechanism. Even if you gut it, it would be a very tight fit to get a PR bulb in there, if you could at all.

The reflector actually works pretty well. Petzl used every mm of available space in there, so you're talking major re-work to fit anything in there besides something bulb-sized.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beautiful photo. Any chance of a look at the Duo?

That is really very tight. I'm guessing the electronics for the LEDs are in the space behind the LEDs and that the black area is actually quite solid?

Perhaps it might be possible hollow out the space behind it to fit a DownBoy sandwich, being careful to leave enough black plastic to hold the contacts in place? Then backfill with epoxy and put a 1W SE LS on top, where the bulb would sit?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Perhaps it might be possible hollow out the space behind it to fit a DownBoy sandwich, being careful to leave enough black plastic to hold the contacts in place? Then backfill with epoxy and put a 1W SE LS on top, where the bulb would sit?"

Now that might work. Tight work, though.

I believe you are correct, the LED electronics are behind the LEDs. The black area supports the contacts and the bi-pin bulb. The white area is a proprietary base put on the bi-pin.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks as though there might be just enough space to put in some contacts suitable for a PR base so that the EverLED can be used.

Is the white/grey part that the bulb is sitting on removable?

And more importantly, is there any point? Would the EverLED output be comparable?

Actually went down to the shops today and saw the Petzl Duo with 3 LEDs. Wonder if this is a better platform for such a mod, especially since the bulb has a focus adjustment.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The white part is removable. I don't have an everled so I don't know if it's output would be better.

I think the Duo would be a better platform for the mod, albeit larger. Hang on, I'll drag mine out and take a photo...

duo.jpg

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
What type of bulb is that? Is that bi-pin or PR based? If bi-pin, is it close to the size of a PR? What about the "focusing" arrangement that the Duo is supposed to have? Does that just lever the bulb in and out?

Sorry about pestering you with so many questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks for getting all these photos.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Screw base...hmmm.... Pity the EverLED doesn't come in that sort of base. I'm going to have to think a little bit more on that. Thank you very much for your help.

I wish someone with an EverLED could chime in.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
why don't you get the duo, put a brighter xenon bulb in there, and replace the 5mms with a luxeon 1w? A lot of work, but you seem inclined to do a lot anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I'm not inclined to do a lot of work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I wanted to use a LS for the main light because I want the entire headlamp to be solid state and totally shock proof. Also, an EverLED will continue to provide clean white light long after the incandescent has turned yellow.

I originally wanted to use the MYO 5 (and it would still be preferable) because the LEDs have a "dimming" feature and are regulated. I found out that it actually switches between 1, 3 and 5 LEDs, but that is still ok. I haven't been able to find out if the Duo has this feature, besides which I can't find anything other than the original Duo and the Duo 3 in my local bricks & mortar shops.

I have limited ability to solder SMD components and discrete components would be too bulky allow any good circuit design to be incorporated in to such compact headlamps as the MYO or Duo. So I wanted to use pre-built circuits such as that already found on board the MYO 5 and the EverLED.

So my original plan with the MYO5 was to just drill out a suitably sized hole where the bulb currently sits, adjust the contacts to suit and perhaps use a couple of self-tapping screws to anchor the EverLED in place. Not really a lot of work, but irreversible. And costly too, hence my desire to find out more about the innards before opening my wallet.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
Okay, but still a pain if you ask me. I understand the need for switching to led, but the whole point of the myo 5 is to have both short and long throw. I would think that carrying a couple of extra batteries with you on your next camping trip would be easier, and more functional that the work you're planning on doing. If it is for a camping trim, what about getting a portable solar panel to charge your batts? they're light now. Besides, from what I understand, the everled is not all that great. If you wanted to go with a 5watter, then I would understand the time and expense. But maybe I'm just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you're not beating a dead horse. One of the questions I was asking was if the EverLED, or any side-emitting LS, would work well with the stock reflector in the MYO. The other was if the brightness was comparable.

For this mod to be worthwhile, the replacement lamp must be as bright as the original incandescent bulb. The reflector must also be able to focus it to the same degree as it did the original bulb. If neither of these conditions can be adequately met, then there is no point in making the conversion.

The ability of the EverLED to provide good white light all the way till the cells are well and truly exhausted is merely a plus point. Not a serious concern about run time or carrying extra cells.

The Petzl website does not appear to mention the power consumption of the stock MYO bulb. But looking at the UKE minQ40, which uses a comparable power source (4 AA cells), which has comparable runtime, and which is probably one of the brightest for its class, I think it is safe to assume the MYO bulb is also running around 2W. Based on this information, I suspect that the EverLED would be slightly dimmer than the incandescent on fresh cells, but should quickly become comparable. I really wish someone is able to show comparison shots.

The plastic body of the headlamp is one of the major limiting factors as it prevents higher current drivers, like the DownBoy 400mA or 700mA, from being used.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point of clarification:

" MYO 5 (and it would still be preferable) because the LEDs have a "dimming" feature and are regulated. I found out that it actually switches between 1, 3 and 5 LEDs, but that is still ok."

Mine dims all 5 at once. It does not switch from 1 to 3 to 5 LEDs. They're all on no matter what dimming setting the light is set to.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Thanks Quickbeam. I thought I saw something that said it switched between the number of LEDs, but I guess I was wrong.

I have almost convinced myself to get the MYO 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Funny thing is, from a practical perspective, I need another headlamp like I need hole in the head. I should really be saving up for the Arc-LS4/5. If I go ahead with this, it will cost around AU$250 all up. That's why I'm going cautiously with this.