SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

Default Re: Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

Just noticed the marketing logos...They claim the light to be 'BEYOND BETTER'. Does this mean the light is the Best, or just that it's 'BETTER-er'? Or is it the 'BETTER-EST', which in turn means that it is the Best? O.o
    -I am no law abiding citizen. I am merely not a lawbreaker.
    -Guilty until proven innocent.
    -If it can be conceived by humans, then it can be unravelled by humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Waymed View Post
    I always shut my P12 off on the low mode....with the memory, it turns on in low mode.
    I very satisfied with the UI and everything else with this light.

LOL. such a chore

some people have resorted to covering the lens with their hand before turn-on so they don't get surprised by what mode was actually memorized

i just don't get it why people like these side buttons so much

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    LOL. such a chore
    i just don't get it why people like these side buttons so much
    Because they're better than front buttons

Quote Originally Posted by dc38 View Post
    Because they're better than front buttons
    I'm OK with tail or side, not both.
    GOOD TINT!

In the past, I have always preferred tail buttons. I bought an Olight S-series light as an experiment to see how I would like the side button interface - and I didn't! I sold it immediately. My main issue was having to find the side button to turn it on, once I removed it from holster or pocket. I never have to search for a tail button!

I recently purchased a Nitecore P12 and I really like it! I am still getting used to the side button mode changes, but I am able to immediately turn the light on with the tail button - eliminating my biggest complaint - having to locate the side button just to get light out of the tube! I also like the battery indicator function built into the side switch. And to me, it's not as big a deal to have to locate the side switch to change modes, as it is to locate it just to get LIGHT!

The only thing that keeps the P12 from being my brightest EDC light is the length - so my EagleTac D25LC2 retains that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm OK with tail or side, not both.
    Last edited by rje58; 12-12-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: my stupidity! as indicated by texastactical

The tail switch is usually a toss up for me. I used to love my PD32UEs but holding them like a cop gets old! I still like them, but find myself using side switches more often. I also like clips for reference, so finding the side button is no issue except on the EA4 - that tiny switch gets lost.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by rje58 View Post
    Especially when I can decide between HIGH and memory mode simply by twisting the head.
    Can you please expand on this? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
    Michael "Iron Mike" Webb
    WWW.TEXASTACTICAL.NET

0:49

Just received my P12.
    After comparison with my Fenix PD35, I can say they are near the same lights. I will not go on the features, they are same size, same weight, same form factor, etc...
    There are the differences I noticed, just only the ones which can not be known with products given features :
    - PD35 is little more floody (little)
    - P12 tube diameter is larger, so it can be useful with "big" batteries like Enerpower. 3400 mah version of these just go in and out really easy, juste have to put tube vertical and it falls. This is not the case with PD35, where battery enter with force, and don't fall when I put tube vertical, I have to unlock both side and press with finger.

For me, and only eyes tested, light output is the same for both lights, or differrence is not noticeable enough.

If you have already PD35, P12 will be useless.
    If you have none of these lights and want one, just go to look for "manufactured" differences :
    - which modes do you prefer ?
    - do you want power indication ? (P12)
    - do you need tail-stand ? (P12)

Hope it helps
    Last edited by Saquavin; 12-12-2013 at 12:40 PM.

P12 is also about $15 cheaper than PD35 What about throw, is P12 better or they're comparable? By more floody you mean wider beam or less throw?

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by phantom23 View Post
    P12 is also about $15 cheaper than PD35 What about throw, is P12 better or they're comparable? By more floody you mean wider beam or less throw?
    More flood is a wider beam which usually equates to less throw.

I'm saying I told you I was still getting used to the side switch!! Twisting the head has no effect on the P12!

Quote Originally Posted by texastactical View Post
    Can you please expand on this? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rje58 View Post
    I'm saying I told you I was still getting used to the side switch!! Twisting the head has no effect on the P12!
    Sorry I guess I misunderstood. I would love it if it had that feature.
    Michael "Iron Mike" Webb
    WWW.TEXASTACTICAL.NET

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    The tail switch is usually a toss up for me...but holding them like a cop gets old!
    LOL! This comment got me to thinking maybe the side switch is better for me after all.
    life's big questions/answers here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
    "So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

Last edited by Ryp; 12-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Can anyone make out which beams are which?

Thanks for the video Ryp!

From first to last: PD32 UE, PD35, P12. As a P12 owner, I like that the P12 spot and spill seem brighter thant the PD35, but the PD35 appears to have a larger spill range than the P12, a slightly larger hotspot, and a brighter corona effect which makes the beam contrast from spot to spill more gradual. I think I prefer the PD35 beam, but the video seems to echo others comments that these two lights are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by TSD View Post
    As a P12 owner, I like that the P12 spot and spill seem brighter thant the PD35, but the PD35 appears to have a larger spill range than the P12, a slightly larger hotspot, and a brighter corona effect which makes the beam contrast from spot to spill more gradual. I think I prefer the PD35 beam, but the video seems to echo others comments that these two lights are very similar.
    For me :
    - P12 and PD35 seem to have equal throw (or I can't see difference)
    - P12 has a brighter (or cooler) hotspot
    - PD35 has a larger hotspot and larger spill (this is what I meant in my first message)
    - P12 beam contrast beetween spot and spill seems less sharpened than PD35's.

Except for the last thing, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saquavin View Post
    For me :
    - PD35 has a larger hotspot and larger spill (this is what I meant in my first message)
    - P12 beam contrast beetween spot and spill seems less sharpened than PD35's.

Except for the last thing, I agree with you.
    What is the furthest that you've compared the throw on these two lights? IMO, for lights rated betwen 4k lux and 10k lux anything below 75' (23 meters) isn't quite adequate...I'm interested in getting a p12, but haven't yet seen any real world performance tests XD

Quote Originally Posted by dc38 View Post
    What is the furthest that you've compared the throw on these two lights? IMO, for lights rated betwen 4k lux and 10k lux anything below 75' (23 meters) isn't quite adequate...I'm interested in getting a p12, but haven't yet seen any real world performance tests XD
    Please note that I employed "seem" on 1st point.
    I can safely affirm 2nd and 3rd points (flood part, tested on white wall), but throw point really need to be tested by professional/professional tool.
    I had only my eyes, in night opened area, and haven't noticed difference.
    I'm afraid you'll have to wait real review

Quote Originally Posted by Saquavin View Post
    I thought a brighter hotspot = more throw.

What about the tint difference between pd35 and the p12? I have the pd35 but it has a greenish yellow tint that is unacceptable to my eyes. I have ordered the p12 hoping it is a more white tint. I have owned a LOT of fenix lights but my last few have all had terrible tint except the e50. I think I am done with fenix.

My P12 is mostly white, except for the center of the hot spot which is a little warmer with a hint of yellow. It is nothing like my Olight S20 L2, which I would consider quite green.

Quote Originally Posted by TSD View Post
    My P12 is mostly white, except for the center of the hot spot which is a little warmer with a hint of yellow. It is nothing like my Olight S20 L2, which I would consider quite green.
    Thanks TSD. I really don't know why manufacturers don't pay more attention to the tint instead of brightness. A bad tint ruins an otherwise fantastic light, like the pd35. I also got the ld12 and it is just as green. Prior to that I had the ld20 which was blue purple and the tk22 which was also purple. TK40, E50 and e20 were good tints, so I know they can do it. I can handle white, cool white, warm white, just not blue, green or purple! Really disappointed in fenix at the moment.

Just ordered a P12 based on the mostly positive experiences here. And glad to hear about the tint not being green.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Fenix PD35 (850 lm) vs. Nitecore P12 (950 lm)

1 - http://youtu.be/rdh8Z9gqANQ

2 - http://youtu.be/xf-l7WXhuQc

3 - http://youtu.be/yL1ZZeChPbY

Unenlightened

Review in a German flashlight-forum:

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/ni...ool-white.html

So how does the lumen output operate exactly? Does it stop putting out 950lm on high once the battery drops below a certain voltage? Im new, so just trying to finger it out. It seems like mine once the voltage drops the high isnt as "high"

Quote Originally Posted by GodIsLight View Post
    So how does the lumen output operate exactly? Does it stop putting out 950lm on high once the battery drops below a certain voltage? Im new, so just trying to finger it out. It seems like mine once the voltage drops the high isnt as "high"
    yep that's exactly what's happening and i'm planning to write an article on this. since everyone's on board the 950+ lumen single-18650 bandwagon this issue is more relevant than ever particularly when using the very popular NCR18650B 3400mah

basically the vast majority of flashlights need a certain minimum of voltage in order to achieve the advertised max lumens. once you go below that point it's all downhill from there. even the relatively low-lumen Nitecore HC50 stays in regulation for only 30mins. an SRT7 that draws 3.0A would probably only last 10mins of cumulative turbo runtime before falling out

but if you get a good flashlight like Zebralight then it doesn't have this problem. it's max or close to max output throughout the entire voltage range of the battery

Most flashlights use buck regulating driver and the brightness depends on the voltage.
    Zebralight uses boost-buck driver to boost the voltage when needed,but this requires higher current draw from the battery.
    Last edited by FlashLion; 12-14-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast