SOLARSTORM X2 5000 Lumens cycle light, e-bay purchase review

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
SOLARSTORM X2 5000 Lumens Twin XM-L e-bay purchase review

***Note, the X2 is not 5000 lumens but is advertised as such by e-bay sellers***

This Review is for two separate sets of X2 as the first one received (Red No1) had what appear to be mud deposit between the fins and a faulty battery which lasted 33mn, this set was fully refunded by UK e-bay seller No1.
Having no more in stock he advised me to purchase another set via another UK seller who apparently had good batteries.
Regarding the mud found on the head of Red No1 X2 (rest appear brand new), I was told that this came straight from the Chinese factory and this was brand new and not used, as a full refund was given I was OK with this.​
The second set (Black No2) arrived from E-bay dealer No2. This was not identical to the first set, difference found were different screws on head and different lead from head and different size logo, the rest looked identical to me except that the Black No2 did not come with any instructions!​
On with the Review(s)​

I am a keen mountain biker and love night riding, so far I have been using a RAY III as a bar light and a single XML flashlight on my lid.
I have been wanting to get myself a proper lightweight helmet lights at an affordable price, so when some of my riders starting appearing with some of the cheap ebay Chinese lights, I naturally became very interested.*
The one which appear to be the most suited to my needs was the twin XM-L SOLARSTORM X2, so I took the plunge and order one (Red No1) for £29 from one of the UK e-bay sellers. (about $45)
*This did look like a real bargain as a similar lights from various manufacturers would cost £100 plus.
*Was I right?

What's in the box / Initial overview and feel

X2-1%20%20%2816%29.jpg
X2-2%20%281%29.jpg
Both X2's arrived in a plain brown boxes, instruction leaflet (only with the Red No1), X2 head, battery with bag, UK charger, 4 rubber bands for Red No1 and 2 bands for Black No2 and a free rear light for both.
X2-2%20%283%29.JPG

X2-1%20%20%284%29.JPG

The head as got some angular and aggressive looking fins, ideal to cool the lights but dangerous in a wipeout. I would have preferred a design like the Magicshine MJ880 . The X2 do come in a red or black finish with the Solarstorm and X2 logo in white, the body is Type II anodized according to Solarstorm but with no ratting in the UK E-bay listings. The clamping method is the rubber band type, cheap but effective! No Helmet mounting is supplied, so if you are planning like me to use it as an helmet light, you will have to get yourself an helmet mounting. Magicshine do sell them for about £7. ($10)

X2-1%20%20%281%29.JPG

The battery pack is made 4 x 18650 cell giving a max of 8.4v and 6.4 mAh according to the manufacturer data and e-bay sellers. The battery pack is not waterproof neither is the bag so you will have to do your own waterproofing on the battery. I use a vinyl glove and electrician tape, not pretty but it works! The bag has a a velcro strap long enough to secure the battery to most frames, bars or lids. The connecting lead from the head to the battery has a threaded cap and an o ring making it very secure and quite water resistant to rain.

X2-1%20%20%282%29.JPG

X2-1%20%20%283%29.JPG

X2-1%20%20%2810%29.JPG

X2-1%20%20%2812%29.JPG

The charger is a generic 8.4v 1000mAh UK plug charger with a single led turning from red, orange, yellow then green when fully charged.

X2-2%20%282%29.JPG

X2-1%20%20%287%29.JPG

The kit include an FOC cheap looking rear light. Works OK, I am just unsure how long this will last as this does look really cheap.
The Seller No1 did advertise the free rear light in his listing but not the seller No2 which did supply it FOC but did not advertise it.
X2-1%20%20%286%29.JPG

Manufacturer Data

I have struggle to find a Solarstorm website, I think they are manufactured by Shenzhen Blackshadow Technology. co Ltd which I think may be part of Chinese mail order firm: Alibaba?

This is the data I have Solarstorm website:

Solarstorm X2 front led bicycle light 1500 lums super light weight
Lumens: 1500Lums - 800lums - 300lums - flash: 1000lums
Runtime: 2h30min - 4h20min- 7h- flash: 4h10min
Finish: Type II hard anodize
X2 bicycle light is a super-light weight mini bicycle light. Adopted in two Cree XM-L U2 LEDs and powered by 4*18650 battery pack, X2 bicycle light outputs 1500lums and run 2h30min on high mode. Low-Mid-High and a hidden SOS mode meet different demands of users.

Special-design power indicating system:
Power 100%~80% three green LEDs,
Power 80%~50% two green LEDs,
Power 50%~20% one green LED
Power 20%~0% one blinking green LED

The data advertised by E-bay sellers are different:

Seller No1 for Red No1
SolarStorm Ultra Bright X2 2 CREE U2 LED Black Red Bicycle Bike Light 5000 LM, Black Colour or Red Colour,
CE Certified Products
Package include:
1 X 5000Lm Bicycle Flashlight. It have 2 CREE XM-L U2 LED ( Black or Red Colour) (Can be used as Headlamp or Bicycle Light)
4 X Rubber ring for installation two of them in green and two of them in black as in the picture.
1 X 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack with battery bag in black colour
1 X Li-lon Charger ( UK Standard Charger)1x 5 LED Front Rear Bicycle Light with Install Holder( Not include battery )Description:
100% Brand New, .Output bright can come to Max 5000 Lm [Lumens], Waterproof, but don't put it into water directly, .Extensive Lifetime of Cree LED (100,000 hours),
Model of LED: 2 x CREE XM-L U2 extra white LED.
Output 2 x XM-L T6 white LED bright can come to max 5000 lumens. [Lm]
Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.
Waterproofing design.
Aluminum alloy bezel ring.
Aluminum alloy structure with wear-resistant anodized finish, deep heat sink finish
4 switch Mode: high / middle / low / strobe.
High-performance electronic switch:
Slightly click the switch to turn ON/Off the light.
Slightly click the switch to change the brightness modes, Low-Mid-high.
Long-press the switch for more than one second to access strobe mode.
Power indicator system:
Power > 80%.. three indicating LED on.
50%< Power < 80% , two indicating LED on.
Runtime < 30 Min, just one led with be on and flashing.
100v-240v Battery Charger. ( LED indication for Power On / Charging / Full charge )
Model of Battery required: 1 x 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack.
Seller No2 for Black No2
Can be used as Bicycle Headlamp or Bicycle Light
Model of LED: CREE XM-L U2 LED ( Led Service: More than 100,000 hours)
Output bright can come to max 5000 lumens [lm]
Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the
largest extent.
Waterproofing design ,but don't put it into water directly.
3 switch Modes: Strong Brightness / Normal Brightness / Flashing
*100v 240v battery charger ( LED indication for Power On / Charging / Full charge )
Model of Battery required: 1 x 8.4v 6400 mAh battery pack
Weight : approx:275g

Package Contents:
2x CREE XM-L U2 LED Light ( Can be used as Bicycie Light/Headlamp)
2 x Rubber ring for installation
1x 6400 mAh battery pack
1 X Charger (100v-240v)
A few disturbing facts:
the instruction leaflet supplied has only the X2 logo, nothing saying this is made by SOLARSTORM,
the amazing output of the two XM-L led 5000 Lumens (quoted at 1500lumens by Solarstorm)
the type of LED used, advertised on ebay as XM-L U2 then XM-L T6 (by some sellers),
also no real runtime given with the 6400mAh battery pack. (This is very wise on their part)

X2-1%20%20%2813%29.JPG

Settings
* Really simple but user friendly, 3 modes (low. medium/ high) and the 4th mode, flash is hidden but easily accessible via a long press off the switch.Always start on low.
The switch itself has a positive feel and easily operated with gloves.
The power indicator is made of 3 green indicators. I think this will have to be clearly monitored with your own battery for you to know the run time versus the number of led showing.

Riding with the X2

So let put the light to a test, our weekly night ride in Friston forest!
The battery Red No1 was top up to full as all new batteries come with a partial transit charge.
On my bars I have Bikeray III V2 3 XPG LED quoted at 1280 Lumens, powered by a 8.7mAh 6x18650 cells Open Light Battery pack,*
this has been extremely reliable with run time on full of approx 4 hours, but this did cost me just under £150 about for the kit 2 years ago.
On my LID the new SOLARSTORM X2 mounted on the BIKERAY helmet mount and the Solarstorm battery attached to the side.
First thing I noticed is how light and compact every thing was, absolutely great!
The 6400 mAh battery pack is made of 4x18650 batteries which I expected to give me close to a couple of hours on max. Once turn on, the beam was perfect giving me plenty of throw but still loads of spill, this is typical of XM-L Led which in my mind are well suited to cycling. This appear to be twice as bright (Red No1) as my Bikeray III, but to be fair this is mainly due to the different beam pattern, the BIKERAY in comparison is purely a flood light.

With a light meter, I did a very quick test in my home made integration sphere and I was getting 543000lux* out of the BIKERAY 3 XPG against 670000lux* to the SOLARSTORM Red X2 2 XM-L. (* due to the rectangular shape of the Solarstorm and the round window opening in my sphere, the actual output of the Solarstorm must have been a little higher,
also to be noted that the Black No2 X2 is only giving me 459000 lux)

*My first ride was done with Red No1 head and battery and was going great until about an hour into the ride when the X2 turned itself off !
I was very surprised as the light had been turn on only for downhill sections which probably did not add up to half an hour! Luckily for me I still had the Bikeray light.
I suspected a battery failure as I have read a lot about some of the Chinese budget lights battery packs being made of inferior batteries and being of half or less than the capacity advertised.
Once home, I connected my Bikeray battery pack to the SOLARSTORM head and it came to life again. So, my problem was the battery!!!
The Solarstorm battery was fully recharged and discharged several time and I decided to do some run test which showed that the battery was faulty as within its first 26 second it lost 20% of its capacity and 50% within 18mn and only had a run time of 33mn. I did contacted the e-bay seller and as he no longer had UK stock, he refunded me the full price and advised me to buy another one from a known seller to him. (The link was provided)
The new X2 was ordered and received see test No2.
A week later my second ride was done with my replacement X2, Black No2 head and battery, not knowing the run time of the new battery, this was only turned on, on downhill sections and I had two green led left by the end of the ride.

Home test integreation sphere
Solarstorm X2's runtime
FULLY CHARGED 3 green lights
*TEST DONE WITH A ELECTRIC FAN TO SIMULATE CYCLING AND TO KEEP THE X2 COOL,
Battery 1 had 3 separate charge and battery 2 had 2 separate charge prior to testings.

TIME in mn Lux with
Solarstorm 6.4mAh
battery No1 and Red X2 No1
Battery state LEDLux with
Solarstorm 6.4mAh
battery No2
and Black X2 No2
Battery state LED Lux with Bikeray
8.7mAh battery
and Red X2 No1
Battery state LED
0 6750003459000 3 657000 3
26 second2 3
5 6450002419000 3 638000 3
10 6490002408000 3 638000 3
15 6530002409000 3 636000 3
181 3
20 6460001407000 3 636000 3
25 6380001427000 3 636000 3
30 5800001414000 3 636000 3
321 - flashing 3 636000 3
33 stoppedStopped 3 635000 3
354080003The test was volontary stopped
703480001 - flashing
75Stopped it so
not to over discharge
Stopped it so
not to over discharge

Outdoor beam shots
Could not take my tripod and camera to the woods, so the photos are taken in my back garden.
****PLEASE NOTE OUTDOOR SHOTS ARE WITH SET X2 RED No1****

Comparaison shots done with the BikerayRay III, the beam is a flood type

RAY%20III%20%281%29.JPG

RAY%20III%20%282%29.JPG

This is some of the differences I have noticed:
Head: different screws and different cable/plug, logos are sharper on (black No2), both lights do show quite considerable differencec in lux reading!

X2-2%20%285%29.JPG

different logos
X2-2%20%287%29.JPG

different screw heads
X2-2%20%284%29.JPG

very slighlty plug moulding
X2-2%20%289%29.JPG

Different markings on the leads
Why the differences?
Could be:
different batch?
different LED (you do fine them listed with XML-T6 and XM-L U2?
One could be a clone and other an original or both clones from different sources?
I am unsure if the e-bay sellers do really know what they are buying and selling, what is sure is that they should not advertise them as 5000 lumens
as I far as I know you would never get that type of output out of two XML-U2!
The rest of the kit appear identical including batteries.

For/Against
For: it size, weight, ease of use, modes, output and price
Against: angular shape, non waterproof battery, overly inflated lumens output and battery life.

What this a good buy?
I suppose for the price it is.
You will need to live with the shorter runtime but 1h15 for about 1000-1500 lumens is still respectable specially when you take the price into account!

If any of you are running X2, please send your feedback as to battery life, also I have been scouting the net for an affordable replacement good quality 4x18650 battery pack. Nothing yet apart from getting a battery box and 4 individual batteries of you choice like Panasonic 3400mAh, the problem for me is this would make the set more bulky and heavy, not friendly for helmet use!

March 2014 Update (charger has packed up, the fully charge green light stay on all the time and charger no longer charge, lucky I do have a 2 years old BIKERAY charger wich will charge the Solarstorm battery)
Skyraider59
MTB Ride leader
*My first language is not English, so I do apologies for any mistakes.

BikerayRAY III, Solarstorm X2

For/Against
it size, weight, ease of use, modes and price (price if the battery problem get resolved )
Against: angular shape which potentially could be dangerous, all the manufacturer need to do is to round the shape, non waterproof battery,*
inflated lumens output and battery life (may have a faulty one so I may review this), not road friendly, no visor on top to restrict the beam to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.
*But can not give a full verdict due to the faulty battery, so the mini review will be continued later on.

Please if you are running the same light, send me some feedback,
regarding run time, be as accurate as you can all you need is a stop watch often found on digital watches or on a kitchen timer.

Skyraider59
MTB Ride leader
*My first language is not English, so I do apologies for any mistakes.

BikerayRAY III, Solarstorm X2

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Addition to my original review

Due to the general poor quality of the battery (ies) supplied with the X2 purchased on ebay, I started looking for an affordable but better quality replacement in the UK.
After some research I decided to try the Fluxient battery pack from an UK ebay seller. Worth visiting is http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/ this website has been already mentioned on some of the MTBR threads, from this websited you can view outdoor shots of various fluxient lights running the same battery.
I orded his 4 cell 4400mAh and this is my mini review of this battery.

860059d1388862759t-solarstorm-x2-5000-lumens-e-bay-purchase-mini-review-fluxient2.jpg

860060d1388862762t-solarstorm-x2-5000-lumens-e-bay-purchase-mini-review-fluxient3.jpg

860061d1388862766t-solarstorm-x2-5000-lumens-e-bay-purchase-mini-review-fluxient4.jpg

The overall look of the Fluxient battery inspire confidence than the X2 battery supplied by the ebay sellers, the four cells are enclosed into an plastic hard shell container, the 15" lead has a rubber grommet at its base to stop water ingress into the hard case. The lead connector is the standard push fit with no screw thread, this was not problem for me and the connection was tight. The pack itself 3"x1.3/4"x 1.3/4" and has a loop build into the case to take the 1.1/2 Velcro retaining strap used to attach the pack to the frame or bars. The pack has an indented curved shape opposite to the loop to help the positioning of the pack onto a curved surface. I would advise users to find some foam to stick on the contact side of the pack to act as a cushion and protect your frame against rubs, clear tape on your frame would also be a good idea! The Pack has a gold label stating the voltage 7.4v and the amperage 4400 mAh and the battery set up 2S2P ICR 18650, nice to see that the manufacturer is stating the battery pack data. The hard shell of the battery pack will give good protection to the batteries but as expected add weight and bulkiness to the pack (233gr including velcro strap). The velcro strap itself appear to be of good quality and the velcro closing is very strong, so no worries about the strap coming undone and your battery pack falling off while you are ridding.
So far, I have run a couple of test with the new battery and this is the result of the last test. This time the X2 was fitted on my home made light sphere and a fan was cooling the X2 from behind. The X2 stayed in the same position during the test, which made this readings more accurate as earlier tests when the light had to be reposition roughly in the same place.
The test/monitoring was started 2mn after initial turn on, this is in line with ANSI method of testing flashlights. Here is a brake down of the initial first 5mn,
0mn- 777000 lux
1mn - 746000 lux
2mn - 732000 lux
3mn - 720000 lux
4mn - 716000 lux
5mn - 714000 lux
also a reading was taken on medium mode: 306000 lux and low mode: 77000 lux
860058d1388862685t-solarstorm-x2-5000-lumens-e-bay-purchase-mini-review-fluxienttest.jpg

As you can see, the Fluxient 4400mAh battery gives you a pretty good run time with a Solarstorm X2 on continuous high mode,
with output only dropping off
by less than 5 % within the first hour,
12% in an hour and half
28% in two hours
and the output is still just above your low setting after 2.5 hour.
The green battery condition system turned to 2 led at 24mn, 1 led at 48mn and started flashing 128mn, this is also when the output started to drop quickly. The light went on for a further 43mn and only then I decided to turn the battery off as I was more than satisfied with the run time and the output I was getting.

Admittedly the Fluxient battery pack will cost you as much as the E-bay X2, but if you have one of the "cr.p X2 battery", the Fluxient appear to be a good replacement candidate.
Most of my forest rides are around 2hours so this will do me nicely, all I need now is some dry evenings! :)

tomgopher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pointing this light out. I got one with battery/charger and then another bare light. Was going to mod it to run off a dynamo, but I like having one of these on helmet and one on bike...Might get another for dynamo modding, can't go wrong at this price.

Re battery, there are a pretty good options on ebay using high capacity panasonic cells: eg http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-N...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item338744c963 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-N...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item3387b563bd

I'm guessing that the 2cell pack has atleast the same capacity as the crappy pack that came with the light. I got the 2cell to save weight on a helmet light. Got about an hour out of the 2cell pack on high today with 2/3rds remaining.

ryansoh3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

Does anyone know if the 2S2P cell configuration is properly balanced?

I've ditched the original wall wart charger and I'm using my hobby charger to charge it at 2S 7.4V, but I'm concerned as to whether they're properly balanced.

Thanks in advance.

den331

Newly Enlightened
i have a solarstorm x2 i tried using the TK75 battery pack on it on highest setting it manage up to 4 hours run time on 4 NCR18650's.

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened
I like the Pannovo from Dealextreme. You can use your own batteries and charger.

cpfdemigod

Newly Enlightened
i have a solarstorm x2 i tried using the TK75 battery pack on it on highest setting it manage up to 4 hours run time on 4 NCR18650's.

So basically all I need to do is buy this for $12.99:
Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case House cover for Bike Lamp

$(KGrHqF,!qsFJgWho7vdBSZzjTWIdw~~60_57.JPG

With 2 packs of these for $17.99 each minus $1.80 for coupon code CPFUser, plus $4.04 for shipping = $38.22 :
18650 Soshine 3400mAh Button Top Protected (2 pack)

soshine18650x2.jpg

and for $51.21 Shipped I will have one of the best battery packs around! Thanks! I plan on buying a nice SolarStorm X2 - XML2 for $18.88 as well.

So for a GRAND TOTAL of $70.04 I will have a kick-a$$ stroller light for when me and the wife and baby go running!

The hardest thing for me right now is wondering if I should buy the Trustfire TR-D010 instead. I really love the 5 XML's and the power switch, so I can put it on the stroller handle bars. It's really a struggle to pick which light to choose!

img_0101.jpg

Last edited:

TREKIE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the review, and most importantly the links for a better battery solution. I recently purchased this light for my trike. Thanks to the never ending winter, I have not had the opportunity to use it yet! But I assumed the battery pack would be less than stellar.

Edocaster

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Solarstorm X2 expressly to mod it for dynamo usage. I picked one of the basic Pilom dynamo circuits (no boost) but with a standlight.

It has worked very well. Total output is probably only 300 lumens or so, but I always knew that (I never really needed all the lumens of the original).

The rear screw access is good for mods, although I could only fit a capacitor for the standlight in there - the rest of the circuit had to go to an external breakout box.

My next project is to buy a 5x Cree generic ebay bike light, and convert that to one of the more complex Pilom circuits...

znomit

Enlightened
I bought the Solarstorm X2 expressly to mod it for dynamo usage. I picked one of the basic Pilom dynamo circuits (no boost) but with a standlight.

If you want to go nuts and don't care too much about low speed performance you can chuck two 12V XMLs (quad die in series) in the solarstorm. This will be pretty much the same output as the battery version on high. 2 6V XMLs might be more sensible but hey, we love our lumens.

Edocaster

Newly Enlightened
If you want to go nuts and don't care too much about low speed performance you can chuck two 12V XMLs (quad die in series) in the solarstorm. This will be pretty much the same output as the battery version on high. 2 6V XMLs might be more sensible but hey, we love our lumens.

Ha - 24V might be pushing it for me!

I've already got this light on order due to a good auction price on the bay: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-d...t6-led-cheap-ebay-light-questions-901483.html - looks like there's not much space in the back though, due to a tapered section of the heatsink.

I think I'll go for Pilom circuit no 9 this time (without the tail light, but with a basic standlight). Probably only using 4 LEDs in series, so as to keep max voltage to about 12V. If all goes well, I could expect 550+ lumens?

znomit

Enlightened
I think I'll go for Pilom circuit no 9 this time (without the tail light, but with a basic standlight). Probably only using 4 LEDs in series, so as to keep max voltage to about 12V. If all goes well, I could expect 550+ lumens?

C10 will save you a bit of space if you can find the right switch. Yes, expect around 500-600lm from 4 LEDs.

Edocaster

Newly Enlightened
C10 will save you a bit of space if you can find the right switch. Yes, expect around 500-600lm from 4 LEDs.

Thanks. I had looked at circuit 10 - it basically uses the tuning/boost caps for double duty as the voltage doubler caps too, right? Is there any risk that on switchover the caps will be storing too much voltage and zap something? I ask, as in http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nd-boost-cap&p=2807819&viewfull=1#post2807819 there's a quote from Martin saying that when acting as tuning caps there can be quite a high voltage across them. I'm not sure I understand the exact circumstances, but in the parts list for circuits 8 and 9 he has given the tuning caps higher voltage ratings than the doubler caps.

Has anyone had any problems with circuit 10, especially when switching over at the resonant frequency?

The other issue with circuit 10 is wiring up the switch. I baulked at 9 pins - although looking again at the circuit it looks like only 7 will need to be used - although that may still be beyond my soldering-fu!

Edocaster

Newly Enlightened
I actually bought a 3P2T switch to give circuit 10 (http://pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/DynamoCircuits.htm) a go, but am now having second thoughts (again :eek: ).

I tend to put my DIY dynamo lights parallel to a commercial dynamo light (Axa Pico 30), switching whichever one I'm not using off. Trying to use both simultaneously splits the current between both and, more crucially, the voltages interact in a way I can't fully predict - I think the device with the lower voltage dictates the overall voltage. Hence I only switch one on at a time (I don't use the more traditional series connection, as the DIY light is designed to be removable, and sometimes substituted with other gadgets, e.g. a USB charger, so the idea is each should be independently switched.)

From the diagram for circuit 10, it seems that in the centre 'off' position a circuit is still completed: D1 R1 and C2 on one side of the dynamo AC output, or C2 R1 all the LEDs and D3 for the other half of the wave. Is that correct?

Granted, at 47k Ohms, R1 is probably keeping current down to something negligible, but will this 'never off' mode interfere with my Axa Pico unless I add another, true off, switch?

Moreover, won't C2 suffer from being in reverse polarity when the 'right-hand' side of the dynamo is positive?

Edocaster

Newly Enlightened
I've pretty much built Pilom's circuit 9 now (I'll start a new thread at some point rather than continue to hi-jack this one...). I'm about 33% through the final 'build' (i.e. adapting an existing light).

Testing the circuit, everything works as it should. But it occurs to me that the risks involved with the smoothing cap (C1) - which he recommends securing within the light head so it never risks disconnection - would also apply to the other caps in the circuit. If the head unit was disconnected, wouldn't the other caps also rise to risky levels? Especially the voltage doubler caps (C4 and C5), which look like they can charge towards the open circuit voltage in both voltage doubler and full-wave rectifier mode?

It's probably too late for me to modify the circuit with the limited space I have, so I may just have to make sure the cables are connected reliably.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall the Pilom circuits offhand, but good construction techniques do count for a lot. If you kill a part or two due to overvoltage, you can always replace the parts. The bigger risk is that you end up in the dark without a light.
So... I recommend always carrying a spare headlight. Not much.. just enough to get you home. I bring a 3W light powered by AA nimh cells. Haven't had to use it yet, so I guess my construction techniques are good enough. :)

There may be other ways to protect stuff. Power zener diodes may be one option.

Maybe we need a thread about the best practices for building lights? i.e. sealing a housing against moisture, avoiding vibration related failures, etc.??

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

Does anyone know if the 2S2P cell configuration is properly balanced?

I've ditched the original wall wart charger and I'm using my hobby charger to charge it at 2S 7.4V, but I'm concerned as to whether they're properly balanced.

Thanks in advance.

If you are using a hobby charger, and are worried about keeping the cells balanced, you should splice in a balance tap and use it. The hobby sites sell the balance pigtails for very reasonable prices. You have to know, it is not going to get *more* balanced as you go through charge cycles, regardless of whether it is balanced from the factory or not, which I would not assume, especially at this price point. I never charge my model airplane 3S packs without using the balance taps.

Latest posts