Current CR2 option

Southernlight

Enlightened
I've been away a while. Is there a recent roundup review of CR2 lights?
Aeon II and Nitecore's Sens Mini and others?
Thanks

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not new and hard to find but still a great light, the Liteflux LF4

Last edited:

fl0t

Enlightened
Amilite Cuty-CR2 is a pretty good option too.
I always wanted to see a serious review of the Chrome Aleph 3 CR2, including lots of pics and beamshots.

burntoshine

Enlightened
Woah! This is the first I've heard of the LF4. Pretty long for a CR2 light, though.

So, can one still find a protected rechargeable CR2 that will work with the PILA charger and the 4Sevens' MiNi CR2? I saw mentions of AW RCR2s, but can't find them to purchase. I found plenty of what look to be unprotected cheapies on fleabay, but I would love to have AW brand protected goodies. Were they 3.0 v or were they higher voltage?

Happy Turkey Day, y'all!

archimedes

Flashaholic
....So, can one still find a protected rechargeable CR2 .... I saw mentions of AW RCR2s, but can't find them to purchase. I found plenty of what look to be unprotected cheapies on fleabay, but I would love to have AW brand protected goodies. Were they 3.0 v or were they higher voltage?....

I believe that protected RCR2 (3.7v nominal, 4.2v peak) were available from AW in the past (several years ago), but have not been produced for quite some time (unfortunately)....

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still don't understand how come so few companies produce CR2 lights. I'm sure there is a market for smaller lights...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I still don't understand how come so few companies produce CR2 lights. I'm sure there is a market for smaller lights...

I, too, wish there were more CR2 options available ... but I think the "standard" reasoning is that a CR2 has just half the capacity of a CR123A, but is only 1mm thinner and about 7mm shorter. And is often more expensive and less readily available. And the demand for CR2 lights consists mainly of people who have already posted in this thread (lol) :shrug:

burntoshine

Enlightened
I believe that protected RCR2 (3.7v nominal, 4.2v peak) were available from AW in the past (several years ago), but have not been produced for quite some time (unfortunately)....

Thanks for the reply! That is unfortunate!! However, I wouldn't want anything more than 3.0 volts to use in my MiNi.

Is there really much of a danger or downfall to using unprotected rechargeable CR2s? Is overdischarging really a problem? And could I charge them with a PILA IBC charger?

I love my MiNi mainly because of its size, and more specifically the brightness to size ratio. And it's the lovely warm high cri tint!! I don't mind having less capacity than a cr123 light, but I would like to be able to top off the battery and not be relegated to using only primaries. Once the batteries get low enough, I use them only around the house. I want to leave the house with full power and don't like to keep buying new cells.

I'm pretty happy using my HDS with RCR123s as my EDC, so topping off is easy. Although, I still use the CR2 MiNi a lot at work, at home, and as an extra EDC; so I still want them rechargeables! And a CR2 size light (like the MiNi) is pretty easy to hold in your mouth when you need both hands.

I wish there was a HDS-quality twisty CR2 light that was the same-ish size as a MiNi. I would love a warm high cri one in Ti.

rje58

Enlightened
I'm holding out for the FourSevens Atom in CR2.... the only CR2 light I have right now is an incan E1e with a custom body for CR2...! Love that little babe!

rje58

Enlightened
Ask and ye shall receive!

Please bear in mind two things: 1. I don't own a camera! These are crappy cell phone pics. 2. This is NOT a shelf queen. Not my primary EDC, but I do carry it and use it. You can see the use it's had, particularly on the tailcap.

CR2_e1_2.jpg

CR2_e1_3.jpg

CR2_e1_4.jpg

Eye candy requested please. :)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I, too, wish there were more CR2 options available ... but I think the "standard" reasoning is that a CR2 has just half the capacity of a CR123A, but is only 1mm thinner and about 7mm shorter. And is often more expensive and less readily available. And the demand for CR2 lights consists mainly of people who have already posted in this thread (lol) :shrug:

True. Plus, when it comes to the general public; they'll buy a single-AAA light over one that uses a single CR2 cell. Or, if they want ultra-compact, a coin-cell light. The CR2 is the odd man out.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for sharing rje58v, that is a very nice looking setup. :thumbsup:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like a small format, and don't mind low mAh capacity, you can do what I did:

Take one beautiful Foursevens Mini AA and a tubing-cutter, cut out about an inch from the center of the battery tube, connect the threaded top to the butt-end (both of them slide over a tube of very thin titanium foil) and run it from a 14250.

It's really small! Like, smaller than the Mini CR2. And on high it still puts out the ridiculous lumens you get from a MiniAA running on a 14500.

Oh--did I mention this voids the warrantee, and is an affront to common sense as well?

(But it's really leetle, and really bright!)

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like a small format, and don't mind low mAh capacity, you can do what I did:

Take one beautiful Foursevens Mini AA and a tubing-cutter, cut out about an inch from the center of the battery tube, connect the threaded top to the butt-end (both of them slide over a tube of very thin titanium foil) and run it from a 14250.

It's really small! Like, smaller than the Mini CR2. And on high it still puts out the ridiculous lumens you get from a MiniAA running on a 14500.

Oh--did I mention this voids the warrantee, and is an affront to common sense as well?

(But it's really leetle, and really bright!)

Could you possibly post a picture comparing it to other small lights you have? Thanks!