food for thought on using batteries from less established manufacturers

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
There's been a few property damage and at least one reported case of injury from CR123A venting and plenty of stories about alkaline battery leakage. We may think about reviews here on batteries and decide on performance. My recent issues with my stock of batteries and corresponding with the brand raises something to keep in mind.

I had a whole bunch of new in package UltraLast brand that became discharged and useless despite proper storage. I bought them years ago, but it still had over 2 years of expiration left.

UltraLast brand was recently acquired quietly by a company called Dantona Industries in New York. It is no longer NABC North American Battery Company.

The package says: "NABC will replace any UltraLast Alkaline battery which fails due to a defect in workmanship or materials and will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by this UltraLast Alkaline battery"

When I called the number on website printed on the battery I learned that NABC went out of business and Dantona Industries quietly acquired the brand label. Dantona sent me replacement batteries as a gesture of good will but Dantona emphasized that it was Fry's problem and not theirs (where I bought it) and I was told warranty liability is not part of the acquisition.

Fortunately, I didn't have any device damage and learned an important lesson. Less established brands of battery may work as good as brand name, and even better sometimes. This is just one side of the story. The other side is what they're willing to do when devices are damaged or even worse, injuries from venting of CR123A and such.

I'm willing to pay more for Duracell to use in expensive devices like wireless microphones, test instruments, high-end remotes and wall thermostats knowing that they will repair or replace my device that cost several hundred dollars to replace.

As I learned here, generic battery may have such warranty at one point, but they may go out of business, or they may become quietly acquired by someone who will not honor warranty claims as in my case. Dantona explicitly declined warranty obligations to my batteries, they provided them only as a gesture of goodwill. So, if my claim was for a damaged device and they decided the cost of remedy is excessive for just being nice, they might just say no.

Generic 123As and alkaline may perform as well, or better than brand name. The chance of 123A venting and causing injuries or damage beyond the damage is slim, but if you're one of the affected, would generic manufacturer pay for the loss? What about leaked fluid on alkaline? Would no-name accept responsibility as Duracell/Energizer/Rayovac would?

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this, it encourages me to write a letter or email to La Crosse telling them their AA batteries have the potential of overheating and causing a fire, due to the fact that i had one overheat on me causing the wrapper to melt. At first i didn't think sending it back to Amazon would be worth it but sending some statistic data to La Crosse might encourage them to pull these batteries out of circulation considering La Crosse had this problem in the past.

Battery companies i think do hold themselves accountable for when devices are ruined from battery leakage providing that you used the batteries and product correctly.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
After reading this, it encourages me to write a letter or email to La Crosse telling them their AA batteries have the potential of overheating and causing a fire, due to the fact that i had one overheat on me causing the wrapper to melt. At first i didn't think sending it back to Amazon would be worth it but sending some statistic data to La Crosse might encourage them to pull these batteries out of circulation considering La Crosse had this problem in the past.

Battery companies i think do hold themselves accountable for when devices are ruined from battery leakage providing that you used the batteries and product correctly.

On paper at least.

Reporting safety issues/failures can't hurt though.....if they don't get feedback, they will think their cells are working fine and have no problems.