RMSK, Inc.        
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nikon SLR/D-SLR fans

Default Re: Nikon SLR/D-SLR fans

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerTime View Post
    I am not against new technology.

I am using D600 now. Photography is just my hobby, not my income. Nikon only push out the FX Camera to the upper-end of the product line; middle to lower end DSLR does not support metering in manual mode. Thus, I am being pushed to use such a highend model, but did not fully utilise the features (The camera is charged at such a high price because of all the features).

Hence, I have an idea of doing a digital back for my film camera. Having said that, nothing has been done, as I am not engineering/technician trained, and I don't have the necessary equipment to do the job. Therefore, it will still be a dream.
    What do you mean you can't meter in manual mode? Is that true for Nikon's newest low end DSLRs? My D50, D90, and D800 all do it properly.

Enlightened

I am a pro photographer and I primarily use a D3x with a D3s in the bag as a backup/low light camera. My two most used lenses are the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 22.8VR. I've been using Nikon equipment for the last 15 years and started with an F2 and it was all downhill from there.
    I will say I've been looking at the Fuji X-Pro line recently. I'm starting to get tired of lugging a 30 pound bag around everywhere. Getting too old and fat for that. =)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPhotoGuy View Post
    I will say I've been looking at the Fuji X-Pro line recently.
    After using the D3 series, maybe the Sony RX1RII or the Hasselblad X1D..

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    After using the D3 series, maybe the Sony RX1RII or the Hasselblad X1D..
    Not a bad idea on the Hassy, though I shoot a lot of kids and I would worry about it being quick enough. Sony
    makes a good camera, but I've always had an irrational dislike of them as a company. Kinda like how PC people
    hate apple for no real apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    What do you mean you can't meter in manual mode? Is that true for Nikon's newest low end DSLRs? My D50, D90, and D800 all do it properly.
    The new DX Nikons meter just fine in manual mode including the low end D3200 and D3300.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPhotoGuy View Post
    I am a pro photographer and I primarily use a D3x with a D3s in the bag as a backup/low light camera. My two most used lenses are the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 22.8VR. I've been using Nikon equipment for the last 15 years and started with an F2 and it was all downhill from there.
    I will say I've been looking at the Fuji X-Pro line recently. I'm starting to get tired of lugging a 30 pound bag around everywhere. Getting too old and fat for that. =)
    You will not get the low noise performance of the FX cameras, but the dynamic range of the better DX Nikon cameras is right up there and paired with reasonable quality glass, you will be hard pressed except under high magnification to notice the differences. Remember that not just the focal length changes, but where diffraction limiting comes into play and depth of focus versus f-stop so it can be a bit of a relearning experience.

The DX sized mirrorless Sony's are good cameras. They have some of the fastest autofocus systems available with far more points except on the most expensive DSLRs.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    You will not get the low noise performance of the FX cameras, but the dynamic range of the better DX Nikon cameras is right up there and paired with reasonable quality glass, you will be hard pressed except under high magnification to notice the differences.

The DX sized mirrorless Sony's are good cameras. They have some of the fastest autofocus systems available with far more points except on the most expensive DSLRs.
    The Fuji XT2 is quicker than the Sony and with adapters allows for Nikon lens use. Sony does have good sensors, just their cameras lack support.

You must not have shot the new Nikon D500 then. This camera without ir focus assist down to -4 ev. You would be hard pressed to manually focus at -2ev.

I've got shots taken at iso 102,000 that look very good. At iso 26,000, there better than most sub $2000 cameras.

I also shoot D3x Nikons. I wanted a couple new FX cameras, looked at the D750 and D810, as well as the D5. I'll be purchasing a second D500.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

My comment was respect to noise which will impact low light / high ISO response. The D500 is really only better when pushed really hard, i.e. past 12800. Up to that point, it really does not have much advantage over my D7200 if any (and will argue below that even that is questionable).

My 610, which again has similar performance to almost all Nikon FX cameras at the raw sensor level, has markedly better real world low light performance ... at least at equivalent F-stop to my D7200. Keep in mind that at any given F-stop, the FX sensor is collecting a lot more light.

The D500 has the focus system from one of high end FX cameras, can't remember which one and does have the best low light focussing (-4ev as you noted in the center). My 7200 comes close (-3ev), but the 610 is a ways behind (-1), but with equivalent glass, I am getting better pictures most of the time.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of "marketing" going on in really high ISO shooting in DSLRs. When you shoot at say 25,600 all you are doing is setting the gain of some amplifiers to a higher gain to what they are at 12,800. There is absolutely no change in anything happening on the sensor w.r.t. light/image capture. Given how good the 14 bit A/Ds are in these cameras and the limitations of SHOT noise w.r.t. image capture, there comes a point where increasing the gain brings no value and may actually reduce quality. I.e. you may be better shooting at 12,800 and digitally pushing the image to 25,600 than using the native 25,600 in the camera. I find that is normally the case with my D7200 and D610. The claim to fame of the D500 is really the analog amplification and A/D so you can likely go higher before this is the case. I always shoot raw then use DxO noise reduction when I am doing low light. Not always, but often their Prime noise reduction is better than other tools and certainly better than in camera.

Yeah my D800 will be used for years still. The only actual things that matter to me that it could significantly improve upon are lower light autofocus and better lower ISO performance. The D810 isn't a big enough improvement. I feel like ACTUAL big upgrades with Nikon/Canon happen every 3rd refresh or so. I'm glad the D5/D500 seem to have amazing autofocus as that means whenever the D820 or whatever comes out it will surely adopt those systems.

Even then though it's not like I can't get all my shots exactly like I want 99 percent of the time with a D800. It's a tech marvel, but companies always want you to buy the next slightly better camera system. They also don't just greatly upgrade all the features as then they can't put "new" features into their next refresh every year.

Flashaholic*

Yeah my D800 will be used for years still. The only actual things that matter to me that it could significantly improve upon are lower light autofocus and better lower ISO performance. The D810 isn't a big enough improvement. I feel like ACTUAL big upgrades with Nikon/Canon happen every 3rd refresh or so. I'm glad the D5/D500 seem to have amazing autofocus as that means whenever the D820 or whatever comes out it will surely adopt those systems.

Even then though it's not like I can't get all my shots exactly like I want 99 percent of the time with a D800. It's a tech marvel, but companies always want you to buy the next slightly better camera system. They also don't just greatly upgrade all the features as then they can't put "new" features into their next refresh every year.
    Martin, the D800/810 are both very good cameras with huge 36mp sensors. Low light focusing could be better, but tech changes so fast, that you'll always be chasing the latest and greatest. As you stated, they like it that way.

I only upgrade or replace equipment when I see a need for the feature. The D500 low light focusing for old eyes is a game changer. Nikon currently has a $200 off promotion on the D500, so a new camera will probably be announced around Christmas.

If there were a way to plunk one of the new Expeed 5 processors in my D3x and allow for 9-10 frames per second, I'd do it in a heart beat over a new camera. I like the feel of the D3 over the D500 with grip. Some people like traveling light, I'm one of them, that's why I'm using a FX camera instead of a medium format digital camera.

If I could get Nikon to make two changes to the D500, I'd have them install two CF or XQD slots in the camera instead of XQD and SD, and do away with the tilting screen. I don't do video, so I couldn't care less about using the display for video recording. Having the 100% viewfinder is way better than the D7000 series cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
    do away with the tilting screen.
    That's the only time I've heard someone say they don't want an articulating display..

tilting screen is useful for filming and selfies, what do you do with a dying shutter on a dslr?

Quote Originally Posted by dropout View Post
    what do you do with a dying shutter on a dslr?
    It's a good time to replace a broken camera, so many great choices nowadays..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dropout View Post
    tilting screen is useful for filming and selfies, what do you do with a dying shutter on a dslr?
    What to do with a dying shutter? Depends on the camera. Consumer version camera? eBay it as broken and take the money you get for the remains and purchase a new camera. I've yet to see a DLSR camera other than possibly Mamiya or Hasselblad that might be able to use a leaf shutter lens, and not rely on in-camera shutter.

Pro version camera, you spend the $400-500 that it costs for replacement and you're back in business for another 400,000+ activation's.

I don't need or want the articulating screen. It's another flexible cable to break over time which will require a costly repair. On the D500 which costs $1800, an out of warranty repair would probably run $300 or so.

How did you survive without the articulating screen? Same for auto-focus, or image stabilization/vibration reduction? I've never seen a view camera with auto-focus or a host of other features that a lot of people now can't live without.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
    How did you survive without the articulating screen?
    I've never owned a camera without it; I wouldn't spend on a camera that would only allow me to take photographs from a few specific angles - as seen in the Northrups' Pentax K1 review, each of the compared pro-body full-frame cameras has their pros and cons, but the camera that was easiest to use [and get good pictures with] was the K1 because of its tilt screen.

Flashaholic*

Default Nikon SLR/D-SLR fans

Tony Northrup was a Canon fanboy until early this year. Now he's on the Nikon band wagon.

I don't know if the Pentax screen besides articulated if it's also touch sensitive.

Good luck with your choices.

I'm choosing to limit the number of failure points. While I try to protect my equipment it does get used. I do have concerns about the ribbon cable and the stamped arms the screen attaches to.

One day, the designers will get together and combine the best features into one camera. Until then, you shop for features that best suit the intended use. I don't do video, so don't have a need in my dslr. I've used right angle view finders by Nikon for years. The same angle finder from my F3 and F4 days fits my newest camera.

My current choice has water poured all over it and then continues operating for the review in this video; now that's some reduced failure points..

That's the only time I've heard someone say they don't want an articulating display..
    \

You'll notice the D5 does not have one, nor the D4, D800/D810, or D300. It's not like Nikon can't afford to put an articulating display on those bodies if the users wanted them. It's a feature a lot of primarily stills-shooters don't have much use for and can potentially get broken. I think Nikon took a small gamble including one on the D500, but I don't know whether they'll sell more with the tilting screen compared to if they had stuck with a fixed screen.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about them... There are times when I wish my Nikon's had them and other times when I am glad they don't. They are useful, but undeniably more fragile than a screen built in with no articulation and movement.

I know the D500 has one (right?) but I can't see them putting them on future top end Nikons. Most people who get a D4/D5/D6 aren't going to want to trade off any potential body strength and durability for the ability to occasionally use an articulating screen. And if you need a monitor for video you are probably just going to use an external monitor plugged in. Especially with the video capability (slowly) starting to get much better in DSLRs. 4K is now a thing in many DSLRs albeit mostly cropped in 1.5x 4K, which is ridiculous. My D800 can get a full field of view 1080p video shot--- I'm not getting a 4K capable DSLR until it can do the same full FOV for 4K. I guess you can use DX lenses for that so it's not that big of a deal, but for the best quality especially for video you'd want to be using FF lenses.

4K is now a thing in many DSLRs albeit mostly cropped in 1.5x 4K, which is ridiculous. My D800 can get a full field of view 1080p video shot--- I'm not getting a 4K capable DSLR until it can do the same full FOV for 4K.
    They have to crop so they can do a 1:1 or 2:1 pixel mapping for 4K video.

Full-frame would require either even pixel ratio between 4K video and still frame, or real time image resizing which would take a ton of power to do well which would be the expectation.

Flashaholic*

My current choice has water poured all over it and then continues operating for the review in this video; now that's some reduced failure points..

See if your Pentax can top this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBB-CvqjdCE

Flashaholic*

It's been a few years since I've participated in these forums, hence my lack of participation in this thread that I had created so many years ago.

A few updates:
    My D610 has close to 125,000 shutter actuations on it now.
    I bought a D500 last year and it already has around 75,000 actuations on it.
    I still have my film cameras (FE2, F4, N8008s) and bought a few non-Nikon film cameras as well (old 120 film folder and an Omega 45D).
    Lenses: AI'd 24mm f/2.8 K; AI'd 28mm f/3.5; AI'd 35mm f/2 K; PC-Nikkor 35mm f/3.5; two different 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkors; two different 105mm f/2.5s; 18-70mm; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-210 f/4; 35-135mm.

I've been shooting more videos recently than ever before. The D500 is a great camera for that as long as you manually focus. The D610 is great for 1080p but I'm shooting mostly 4K these days.

The Nikon D7500 was released recently and, I believe, it is going to replace both the D7200 and the D5600 at the same time. Simpler, one camera to do it all for the serious amateur. It's not for me. I'm still waiting to see what Nikon has in store for this year since it's their 100th anniversary and great things are expected of them. They have registered four new cameras with the Indonesian government (???) and only announced one camera so far. A few more months of waiting will undoubtedly bring new camera announcements but I've already decided that I'm going with a Lumix G85 as my next camera, more for its video capabilities than for its image quality. We shall see. It'll probably become my time lapse camera to take the load off of the Nikons.

^^ Nice! I really like those Panasonic's.

About the time I bought a D7000 I read an article by a pro who crossed America with only his celphone, all-the-while knowing its limitations would result in a lot of lost opportunities for great photos.

Instead he chose to make use of the limitations and set his sites on telling stories along with making the most of those limitations.
    That intrigued me at a time when Nikon (and others) seemed to be upgrading their lineup every 30 days. As part of an attempt at enticing the everyday crowd they got better and better... cheaper and cheaper. I decided to follow the lead of the article I read.

Frankly I had lost the zeal for all things SLR pix and just wanted to enjoy the scenery for a change. Knowing my cel-cam was never going to focus correctly on the bee crawling on an althia flower, or focus fast enough to capture the hummingbird hovering at a trumpet vine flower, nor do justice to the thunderstorm clouds... or a sunset... I became an observer instead.

Lately that learn-ed tactic has resulted in dusting off those 2011 relics and using the art of flawed photography revive-ing along with a fixed lens I have a new zeal for capturing photos in the still life platform. The details an SLR can provide are my focus along with a wee bit of digital darkroom tailoring have my creative juices flowing again.

So while the D700 is still set aside for portraits and those special photos the 7000 just crossed the 4000 pix taken threshold.

I think my D80 had crossed the 100,000 threshold before I donated it to my son and my Canon D50 had reached 50k iirc before it was donated to my other son. Both use them at car shows.

So even though the world of DSLR's continues to march forward with lumen wars along with the ability to capture noise free imaging in near total darkness I'm happily going about life with gear that is far superior to my abilities to use them.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    John 3:16
    "Girls from Montana are good dancers" -PK

Consider me in. I got the Nikon D3400 DSLR camera for my birthday a few months ago, which I have been wanting to get one for astrophotography. It ends up doing the job surprisingly well, despite being told that the D3k couldn't do job well (depending on the optical path - in this case the lenses and filters - and camera body, of course). I also had to play around with it until I learn how to set it up the way I want it to run in, as low light photography is extremely challenging. I just don't let the hardware limitation hold me back from exploiting the D3400 to my advantage as it's already an impressive camera at the price point.

However some shots I did doesn't always have to be all about the stars, sometimes environment complement it well. It has to do with how you pick the scene for the picture, like this example.

Last edited by Dr. Mario; 04-26-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    ****** Custom filtered blacklight flashlight based on both Nichia NVSU233A-U365 and Convoy S2 flashlight host (Pictured in avatar icon) ******

Flashaholic*

The camera isn't the limitation. Your limitations are the limitations.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345