Surefire E-Series Mule --- Accepts McGizmo/Aleph light engines

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
While going through some parts in my modding box I came across a few Surefire E-series incandescent heads and for some reason had the idea to make one into a mule head that accepts McGizmo/Aleph light engines.

I sold my Aleph mule head and have wanted one to replace it...guess this will work.

It's a very simple modification and I don't recall seeing this done before. The head was put in the lathe chuck, removed the reflector, used a 13/16-20 tap to thread the inside of the head, and added a domed window. The domed window probably isn't needed. Lastly the hex portion was cut off to shorten it up and a relief cut to fit the o-ring on the body.:devil:

photobucket-1064-1385981257177.jpg

Before & After:
There are two different bezels here. You can see the difference in depth of the bezel crenalations. I ended up swapping the domed window into the deep bezel. The standard flat window works as well with plenty of clearance for the emitter dome.
photobucket-6214-1385985224696.jpg

The underside has a relief cut for the o-ring. (not shown)
photobucket-7169-1385982597877.jpg

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1e Mule --- Accepts McGizmo/Aleph light engines

Very nice! It looks at least as good as a real mule head! :thumbsup:

BTW where did you get that 13/16-20 tap?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1e Mule --- Accepts McGizmo/Aleph light engines

Very nice! It looks at least as good as a real mule head! :thumbsup:

BTW where did you get that 13/16-20 tap?

Thanks!

I bought the tap from an eBay store.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
An even shorter shorty. Very clean look. If people didn't know better they could easily think its something surefire offered!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone!:wave:

scout24, PM sent..:thumbsup:

It's funny how sometimes a modification so simple can seem so satisfying and be so useful!:D

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay, maybe not quite the bling factor as Tim's brass work recently, but I'm happy as hell with the Mule head he was kind enough to make for me. Here's some pics. On a Ti McClicky pack, an AA Malkoff MDC body, and as it will live at my house: On an E1B body, hosting a Sundrop 083B LE, with a Scoutlight tailcap. Looks like it grew there!!! Fantastic, functional mod. Thank you, sir!!!

P1020627.jpg

P1020626.jpg

P1020628.jpg

P1020631.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always good to hear when packages make it to thier destinations. :thumbsup:
I'm glad that you like it! All those hosts look B.A. but, the Malkoff and E1B hosts look really slick!:cool:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came across this thread just by accident while looking for a proper mule head for my new e1e. What an amazing thing! I think that the domed glass is great for it allows for even wider beam. But I wonder what was the purpose of replacing the original flat glass in the first place?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Came across this thread just by accident while looking for a proper mule head for my new e1e. What an amazing thing! I think that the domed glass is great for it allows for even wider beam. But I wonder what was the purpose of replacing the original flat glass in the first place?

Its been a while since making mine with the domed window but, I think it was the only window I had available since the original had a crack in the side. It did also allow the light engine to thread in a bit more and for the bottom of the head to be trimmed slightly shorter to make it smaller overall. Just finished a couple more of these the other week for one of the members here.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in need of a couple stock Elite heads. Rather than permanently altering the stock head, if any have extras, consider selling to me! :) I realize there are dozens of thousands out there unused, if not more, but I can't find them anywhere. My purpose is to use them as they were intended, but with a Tad Customs E-socket. PM me you Elite head hoarders! TIA!

Not really the place for posting a "Want To Buy" add, chiilin.
There's a section for that type of post.
This is a thread meant for the discussion of e-series mule head conversions.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its been a while since making mine with the domed window but, I think it was the only window I had available since the original had a crack in the side. It did also allow the light engine to thread in a bit more and for the bottom of the head to be trimmed slightly shorter to make it smaller overall. Just finished a couple more of these the other week for one of the members here.

PM sent...