Bulb Quest - upgrading 2D incan flashlights

kilogulf59

Enlightened
I have three old 2 D-cell flashlights with incandescent bulbs, PR6's IIRC, that have and still serve me well. I was wondering is a different type of bulb would boost the brightness a bit and, if so, what do I get? Oh and I really don't want to spend elevendymillion dollars on the bulbs either. I just don't want to retire the old war horses yet...

Can you tell I am NOT a flashlight techno-fiend?

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
There are any number under 20$
I think you find the brightness will be boosted more then a little and runtime greatly increased
I have one (I forget which) that I purchased in Lowes
I get 5 hours continuous runtime using AA enloops in those Eneloop battery holders that allow AA instead of D
D batteries should get 24 hours I would think

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I9TI4Q/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I am sure members here will know the best one for the price

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering is a different type of bulb would boost the brightness a bit and, if so, what do I get?

Since you mentioned brighter bulb, I suggest ROP 3854 LOW using 2 protected 18650 with spacer and some tail mod.
Way more brightness, long run time and rechargeable.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Norm, thanks for the welcome and sorry about the incorrect placement of this post. I thought since it was about my three old lights and replacing their incandescent bulbs it would go in general...oops...every time I think this happens :duh2:

leeholaaho, thanks but do you have the names and/or numbers of the bulb?

I suggest ROP 3854 LOW using 2 protected 18650 with spacer and some tail mod.
:confused: :stupid: :thinking:
Can ya dumb it down a little?​

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened

kilogulf59

Enlightened
It's funny how every answer simply generates more questions...

Since you mentioned brighter bulb, I suggest ROP 3854 LOW using 2 protected 18650 with spacer and some tail mod. Way more brightness, long run time and rechargeable.

I. So I am assuming that "ROP 3854 LOW" is the low beam of those two?

II. The package says rechargeable, does that mean I cannot use these bulbs with standard batteries?

III. Why wouldn't I want to use the high beam bulb, wouldn't that give more light?

IV. What does this mean "2 protected 18650 with spacer and some tail mod"?

V. Perhaps this isn't the correct place to ask this but it is pertinent. Are rechargeable batteries really worth it? IIRC they were OK for a few charges and then developed a "memory" and didn't last for dung.

VI. Is there a so-called best type and/or brand of rechargeable battery?

VII. What about these?
a. Nite Ize 1 Watt LED Upgrade Kit converts most C & D (2-6 cell PR style flange) incandescent flashlights into super-bright, long lasting (50,000 hour) LED flashlights. http://www.niteize.com/product/1-Watt-LED-Upgrade-C-D-Cell.asp
b. Nite Ize LED Upgrade Kit converts most C & D (2-6 cell PR style flange) incandescent flashlights into bright, long lasting (100,000 hour) LED flashlights http://www.niteize.com/product/LED-Upgrade-Kit-C-D-CELL.asp

My apologies for being a PIA but perhaps your helping me will help others with the same questions.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
1, no it means it is low power bulb, (11w) another bulb in the set is high power 24w.
2 no, you can't use standart, they don't have enough power for the bulb. it will be very dim and yellow.
3 high beam bulb uses even more power than low beam bulb, standart batteries don't have enough power for low beam bulb, let alone high beam bulb.
4 it means 2 li ion rechargable cells. he assumes your lights are maglights, but i don't see any indication in your 1st post that lights are maglights. spacer and tail mod only applys if your lights are maglites.

also with heat those bulb generate (low and high) you would need mettal reflectors and glass lenses, plastic ones will melt or deform.

your bulbs are led retrofits, they are less bright that regular bulbs you have now. they do last longer from a set of batteries. those bulbs were relevant many years ago when leds were very new thing, now for the money you spend on retrofiting your lights you can get good new led light.
my advice, don't bother, it ain't worth the money and effort. leave those lights in a drawer (or garage, or kitchen, or.........) for emergencys, and get new led light.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the cost of the Lithium Ion rechargeables (the 18650's that FM talks about) and a decent charger to charge them you'd likely be in near $80 or so just on that.

There aren't a whole lot of super cheap options to bump up the output on the 2D maglights. Especially going with higher power incandescent bulbs as you start to need metal reflectors, glass lenses, etc.

I think i'd recommend trying the TerraLux replacement LED in leeholaaho's post as the likely best inexpensive candidate.

While not being super cheap getting some Nickle Metal 1/2-D rechargeables might be a decent way to boost output. Then you could run a 4 cell bulb/LED instead of a 2-cell.

2x Alkaline D-Cells (standard energizer/Duracell/Rayovac/Etc.) = 3 volts
2x NiMH D-Cells (rechargables) = 2.4v
4x 1/2-D NiMH Cells = 4.8v

kilogulf59

Enlightened
I want to thank all here for the assistance and I did get an education.

With that said, I'll go with alpg88's advice...
my advice, don't bother, it ain't worth the money and effort. leave those lights in a drawer (or garage, or kitchen, or.........) for emergencys, and get new led light.

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
I respectfully do not agree - 15 bucks for an LED upgrade is money well spent

$15 for how many lumens? Same Home Depot and you can grab lights for $20-$30 they'll be brighter 590 lumen, 1,000 lumen etc.... Though now I wonder if those will replace incandescent bulbs in 6v lanterns, either way the new LED 6v lanterns would still be cheaper than a $15 drop in.

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
$15 for how many lumens? Same Home Depot and you can grab lights for $20-$30 they'll be brighter 590 lumen, 1,000 lumen etc.... Though now I wonder if those will replace incandescent bulbs in 6v lanterns, either way the new LED 6v lanterns would still be cheaper than a $15 drop in.

20 or 30 dollars is only going to get you a junk light that will not hold up - And have very few levels
I comment from the point of view that it makes the Maglight useful again and the fact that you have the heft and feel of a Maglight
I would not spend the 15 to upgrade a regular run of the mill 2D light
If it was not a Maglight I would take your suggestion
I have purchased this upgrade for my Mag and I am thrilled with it!

Have a gudun

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Hey guys, don't argue as there's a few ways to look at this and here's mine...

Those older lights I have still work as good as they did back in the stone age, the local hardware store stocks PR6 bulbs, sells them for small change, and I stock a half dozen of them. We also stock Alkaline batteries by the bulk pack, either Duracell or Energizer, which ever is cheaper at Sam's Club. I though that if, for a couple of bucks, I could simply drop in a brighter bulb I would.

My days of needing the latest-n-greatest flashlight is over. When I did, a 2 D-cell Maglite filled the bill nicely and so did the 2 AA-cell Maglite in my toolbox...and I still have both. We thought these flashlights were the greatest thing since sliced bread but the new lights keep getting better, brighter, lighter, and cheaper...

All was not a waste however, as I said earlier, I did learn a lot and enjoy a good exchange of information and opinions...

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say that i've got a $25 (with batteries) Rayovac "Indestructable" 2D that came from Wal-Mart and it's a GREAT LED light. Lots of light with good throw. FAR superior to any stock 2D mag. But that doesn't keep me from upgrading the Mags I have just for the fun of doing it. I've got a 1.5d here that I tossed in a factory Mag LED drop in just so I could use it a little more to my liking over the old incan bulb while I try to figure out what type of upgrade I want to do. In addition I have a quad bored 2D here that's still got stock internals in it (Waiting for me to finish compiling parts to turn it into a more powerful incan). I could just toss them in the garbage because the Rayovac light outpreforms them both by a great margain. But that's not always the point.

Getting the LED upgrade drop in will get you a $15 upgrade to a light that you already own and might have some meaning or that you're attached to for sentimental reasons. To give it some more life, to bring it a little more current. That point shouldn't be overlooked here because it was also a point made by the OP in his first post. My first mod that I ever did was a mod of an old 2C mag that my mom gave me. I put a heat sink in it and a direct drive LuxV on 3x123's. It's sitting right here on my desk becuase the light has more than one sentimental character for me. I'm probably going to keep it in this config also, despite there being XM-L2 LED's that blow this old LuxV out of the ballpark at a fraction of the power consumption.

If it were me, I'd get the $15 drop-in and keep using them. If that eventually leads to more mods or a little deeper dive into flashlights and mods as a hobby then welcome to the club :) If not then you've got a practical inexpensive upgrade. I do highly recommend the Rayovac light though if you look to add another light to the stable. A little heavy but it's rugged as hell and well worth the cash.

nightshade

Enlightened
I sometimes work with a mechanical engineer who refuses to carry a pocket light. Instead he prefers a old M@g 2D. Many years ago I repaired his light and added a LightingPro PS1 and hybrid PR lamp. The PS1 is a regulated, 8AA adapter for 2D cell incan lights. He now uses Eneloop AA cells in the adapter, but the light is still in service. Don't give up what you like, and what works for you.

PS1 review and related links:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lightingpro_powerstik.htm

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?108268-Regulated-incandescent-flashlights