HDS Systems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

Naughty The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight

Announcing the World’s Most Powerful Single Unit Stand Alone Searchlight!:
    ---> 24,000 Watts of HMI Power!, (equal to 75,000 Watts Halogen)

The LightBeam will be 23 times brighter than this.

Several bulbs under consideration: Photo below shows 18,000 watt HMI @ 1.7 million Lumen. Another more powerful bulb, the 24,000 watt HMI puts out 2.3 million lumen.

A more powerful bulb at 24,000 watts HMI = to 75,000 watts Halogen or carbon arc.===Specifications:

New four foil technology provides a 25% increase in life.
    - HMI 24000W/DXS is the brightest HMI lamp on the market, at over 2,300,000 lumens.
    - High color rendering index (CRI>90) typical of all HMI lamps.
    - Excellent hot restart capability
    - Light Arc Length: 50 mm
    - Bulb Diameter: 83 mm
    - Bulb Length Max.: 500 mm
    - Luminous Efficiency: 95 lm/W
    - Average Service Live: 375 hours

- eXtreme Seal (XS) technology allows up to 450°C at the pinch seal

Searchlight itself: Under consideration:

7 foot diameter using split hinged reflector technology for easy transport. Drastically improved reflector design, layout, precision manufacturing mold production using superior screeding technology and application. Highly researched and developed reflective material with lifetime ability for anyone to repair/ replace any section with ease and low cost. Low maintenance. Brightest beam around. Look and basic optical Design similar to Gorilla, NightHawk and SportLight Technology. Very affordable for average person. Projected sticker cost is less than $21,850.
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-11-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: specs., price

Default Re: The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Just a wee bit to big for EDC use though.

Haha! That thing is gonna be insane!
    I blame CPF for handing me the dope and whispering, "the first one's free....."
    (Originally by Dss_777 on 14/11/2013)

Batsignal: acquired
    Chris

Are you signaling humans or martians?

The ultimate signaling device for all creatures in the universe. Improved reflector optical shaping and reflective surface technology, long focal lengths and the most powerful light bulb, (24,000 watt HMI technology), make this an attention gathering device for all interactive and curious photonicly excited entities.

I'm working on several options to make transport relatively easy for a seven foot searchlight. I'm experimenting with several scale models.
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-13-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: terminology

A totally different level of power .

Will be following this build .

Default The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing this as it progresses.

Fun looking at all the options.

Looking at frame types, construction methods, parabolic shape tolerances, etc.

For shipping or just regular transporting options to parties, events, search and rescue, or just a nice light to sit by during long Winter months. I may build the Biggest using: Quarter sectioned, half sectioned or whole searchlight pieces...maybe all three types available.

Ballasts are a little pricier than I first anticipated, so I'll have to up the minimum finished price by four thousand dollars:

EB425CP Ballast 4000 / 2500 5 141
    EB640 Ballast 6000 / 4000 6 225
    EB1260 Ballast 12 / 6 Kw with trolley 11 620

When or if I find a better deal on ballast, of course the price will go back down.

Cool Re: The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

The first run of the World's Most powerful single unit searchlight will probably be four equal pie section quarters with the light unit placed in center and yoke and base attached to assembled basic unit. Barrel and protective lens or front glass will be louvered or pied for cost and weather. May have a similar appearance to the 60 inch carbon arc searchlights. The basic searchlight isn't very expensive to build, just the light bulb and ballast and maybe the front glass, (lens).

This is going to be exciting!

For starters, I'll probably start with this 6 KW HMI lamp. With the Searchlight at 72 inches and 570,000 lumen, it will have a lot of lumens and be quite large. The arc is under an inch, (21 mm), gap and the reflector having a smoother, larger, more precise shape, the beam will be closer to being collimated than my other searchlights.

OSRAM metal halide HMI
    lamps are the professional’s choice for exterior and interior daylight lighting. Thanks to the special blend of mercury and metal halide in the arc tube, HMI lamps generate the 6000K color temperature required to match natural daylight, making them very effective for stage lighting and large screen projection applications.

SKU 54315
    UPC Code 046135543159
    Manufacturer Osram Sylvania
    Base S25.5
    Bulb Type High Intensity Discharge Bulbs (HID)
    Color Rendering Index (CRI) 90
    Color Temperature (K) 6000K
    Diameter (in) 2.126
    Lamp Finish clear
    Luminous Flux (LM) 570000
    Maximum Overall Length (in) 17.71
    Rated Life (Hours) 500
    Shape Double-Ended
    Voltage (V) 123V
    Wattage (W) 6000W

Product Manuals

Arc Gap 21 mm

Here is a(n) HMI ballast that can deliver both a 6 kw and 12 kw bulb it's juice!

Many sizes to choose from.
    Osram 54315 HMI 6000W/DXS (Size: 128.2 KB)
    You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the Manuals.
    Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-15-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: equipment

Almost ready to build the primary reflector sectional mold. Figuring the best surface finish for wax adhesion. Too shiny and the wax 'sloughs off', too rough and the finished wax surface can distort and cause an orange peel finish.

Will post photos of the design and build progress as they become available.

Working out the framing details and hardware arrangements.

This is going to be awesome.

Flashaholic*

this will be my new EDC
    HDS Systems EDC Executive Clicky " Nichia 219B, Prometheus Beta 'QR' HAIII, SUREFIRE 6P (ET Sportac "triple" nichia p60 drop in).

Does it come with a decent pocket clip?

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    Does it come with a decent pocket clip?
    No pocket clip, but the fully assembled basic lord of searchlights will carry conveniently on a specially designed back pack. Some of the units will have very light weight shells for this portability. Wattage will likely be anywhere from the current 1.2 kw, 4 kw, 6 kw, 18 kw and 24 kw HMI high power per watt bulbs..
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.

holy cow, this'll be good
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    holy cow, this'll be good
    Hopefully in the next few weeks, I can start building the primary mold for the reflector! I'm excited.

Here are some of the drawings I'm preparing for building the base reflector mold and frame work.

Just getting this thing ready to transfer to the framework that will become the primary reflector mold.

nice work! what are those designs from? AutoCAD?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

This is one interesting project. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSward View Post
    For shipping or just regular transporting options to parties, events, search and rescue, or just a nice light to sit by during long Winter months. I may build the Biggest using: Quarter sectioned, half sectioned or whole searchlight pieces...maybe all three types available
    but the fully assembled basic lord of searchlights will carry conveniently on a specially designed back pack.
    Any ideas concerning power sources? 24kW is quite a lot for ordinary apartment buildings, not to mention the possible search and rescue situations (6kW is quite lot, too).

No pocket clip
    Not a problem. I prefer keychain carry anyway.
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

All this powered by a single 18650?

Sign me up!

...But seriously a very cool concept. I'll be watching & thanks for sharing, good luck

The 24 kw may be hard for most households unless you're an electrician and know how to tap safely into the main buss line and not kill thy self....easy if you know how. This high wattage is really intended for businesses as this wattage is equal to a 75,000 watt Xenon, if they existed. Only 3 of these 24,000 watt H.M.I. lights, equal to 96,000 watts xenon, would slightly exceed the brightness of the Luxor hotel's bright pyramid light in Las Vegas now the brightest with those 40 inefficient 7 kw Xenon light, (each equal to a 7 kw incandescent halogen bulb or 1.75 kw H.M.I. if they existed). total 280,000 watts Xenon, halogen. I'd go ahead and use four of these 24kw (,equal to 96kw xenon), lights to make it brighter, still less wattage, and operating and bulb costs, making one light for each side of the pyramid top.

Most household stoves have to have a dedicated 50 amp 240 power circuit, so unplugging the stove and wiring up the pig tale to fit the stove outlet would give you the power needed for the 6,000 or 4,000 watt bulbs, equal to 24,000 or 16,000 watt Xenon or halogen respectively well within the 12 kw available on most home stove wall outlets. The lumen output of these lower wattage bulbs are in the ballpark if not exceeding lumen output of the '''60 inch carbon arc searchlights of WWII'''. This should be much brighter than just about anything out there anyway. The higher watts are just simply insane...

Very efficient and good beam design using AutoCAD. Searchlight has a parabolic shape design that uses 60% of the available light radiating from bulb onto primary reflector. Searchlight uses much of the remaining 40% of the otherwise wasted light by bouncing it from the split reflector back through the H.M.I. arc chamber onto the large primary reflector making a brilliant collumnated searchlight beam..

Life size of half the reflector profile of eventual total diameter of 72 inches. Test image was not the actual one used, the finished image was more aligned and then stripped to the basic parabolic profile. Eventually the template will be finished to with in a thousandth of an inch accuracy. This gives me a good idea of what to expect.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-02-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    nice work! what are those designs from? AutoCAD?
    I like designing from scratch using AutoCAD. AutoCAD's 3-D is fun and very interactive, feel like I can reach into the screen and play with, adjust and work on my design. I could use blocks, x-refs or other stuff from the internet, but I really do like to derive my own design totally from scratch, bedrock, nothing but a blank screen. I have several other programs, and several are quite powerful, but often I like to use the basic part of CAD, then fill in with coloring, perspective, scenes, etc.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-02-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Here are some of my analytical drawings I made using AutoCAD 3-D modeling. Did most of this by hand, didn't use much of the computer processing power as I learned how to do this stuff "Old School".

Doing some basic recalibration. Double checking the template making adjustments as necessary.

Perhaps after some quick studies, I may build the searchlights out of cast aluminum! Both economical and perhaps safer with the higher wattage H.M.I. Technology bulbs.

3-D check of critical dimensions with actual Medite@ template.

3-D Views in both Perspective and Isometric views below.

This searchlight will start it's run as a four panel assembled reflector for ease of production, limited space for storage and ease of transporting in a small car, all will be made easier using this quarter panel design.

Shell will thin and light weight.

Almost figured the best way to make this. This week I'll be trying various experiments to see how I'm going to build this...mainly the 'host material'.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-05-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: photos.

With an arc gap of around 3/4 of an inch a pretty low price of around $300-400 for a bulb and possibly a ballast next few days (used), for around $450 and a lumen output 3/4ths or 75% the 60 inch carbon arc of 380,000 lumen to 60 inch carbon arc of 520,000, If all goes well, and for starters I'm going to 'lamp' this searchlight with the 4,000 watt HMI system. Should make for quite an impressive sight for a new kid on the block. If not I'll start things out with the 1,200 HMI series I already have. I'm juggling $$$ around and so I have to make 'others' happy too. This is a fun hobby, but sometimes a little out of my reach. Hopefully the date of the Seattle area March Get Together will be enough time for me to get this thing ready to show!

Sorry if some of the photos haven't worked properly, I forgot to check the "public" feature on some of them. Fixed.

Here is a photo of the Yin Yang profiles of the reflector, put together to give an idea of the 72 inch diameter of the World's Biggest.

The Profile is used to determine Styrofoam layers and orientation.
    The original mold for the 50 inch Monster Searchlight was in bad repair so I have cannibalized it to become the mold foundation for the World's Biggest, and Brightest Single Bulb Searchlight.

Building the basic profile for the world's biggest search light reflector. Will start building the end components and rotate bearing assemblies for the "Screed". Have to do a double check on the parabolic profile of the screeds main board. Remember the searchlight will be four quarter sections bolted together to make the one reflector. In future designs, the four, (or six or eight), sections will move slightly, with a control "ring", and slight rotation to give what appears to be multiple searchlights. the slight movement needed to create this effect, allows just one lens unit< (front glass), to cover the whole front of searchlight.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-08-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: photo

Well, hopefully my 4000 watt equipment gets here soon. Ballast is used and may need an ignitor. I may for the time being just use one of my homemade tesla Coils to ignite the bulb until I get a 'real' ignitor. I've done experiments and watched others on YouTube...Tesla coil is nice because I don't even have to connect a wire, just have the coil with in a few feet and the arc tube energizes, arc establishes itself and the ballast takes over from there.

The bulb and Ballast should arrive within two weeks or less.

Here are some group 3-D photos I used to analyze the set up.

Some critical numbers setting up the frame work for the quarter reflector and completed reflector sections below.

Hopefully the mold, and framing systems will start to fall together in the next few weeks. This is very exciting.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-09-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: photos

With this homemade pipe bending tool, I can now make very nice, near perfect circular steel, aluminum, or copper pipe into 72 inch diameter or 36 inch diameter hoops yokes etc., for the searchlights or other things I need anywhere from eight inch to one and a half inch diameter pipe bent to a huge variety of different smooth curved shapes etc...

Metal steel bending tool.

One of my three Tesla Coils will temporarily be used to excite and ionize the arc tube with the magnetic ballast. i shouldn't even have to connect the Tesla coil, just bringing it near causes any arc tube type bulbs; including burnt out CFL or fluorescent bulbs, with in twenty feet to light up some what.

This Tesla coil has a thin diameter winding tube for less expense. It uses an old school ignition coil, a relay wired to act like a 'buzzer' wired to interrupt the 12 vdc current so coil makes it's 11,000v which charges the homemade high voltage capacitor I made with a three liter Shasta Bottle, (works better than standard two liter)., interacts with the 9 wrapped wire coil under 900 winding separate coil using an adjustable 'spark gap made of bolts and PVC pipe.

Link to a 'cheesy' video I made promoting the Searchlight.:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-12-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Subscribed. :

The latest is the parabolic 'Screed", (one of the most important items), is ready to be mounted onto bearing system with flat tracker base, to help in the making of the main reflector mold.

This curved shaped item; the screed that helps me make the mold for the Giant searchlight. This precise parabolic shape is extremely important.

Hard to imagine this high technology HMI bulb produces almost as much light as the brand new 60 inch carbon arc light used in WWII and now days for promotions and other big events at nearly 400,000 lumen from only 4,000 watts..

It was tested in Germany; were it was manufactured, but bulb connector wire dislodged from arc tube after testing, perhaps during transport? Usually these types of light bulbs are very tough and can almost be dropped kicked. They usually only make a few thousand of these a year at most, and done mostly by hand. I'm surprised they didn't find this defect since they test every bulb in this German factory.

Here is a closer view up of that manufacturing defect that almost never happens with these beautiful bulbs.

It's a German Company, one of the few in the world to make these 4,000 watt HMI, (15,000 halogen equivalent), stage, projector, searchlight bulbs. The manufacturer has been contacted and is "Bummed" they let this slip out...

In this close-up, disconnected, badly attached wire separation is seen. The connection point was characterized by a sooty looking black mark where wire was connected.

It's a German Company, one of the few in the world to make these, manufacturer has been contacted and is "Bummed" they let this slip out...

I'm excited anyway, as the distributor was very accommodating and had already sent the replacement before I even sent the old one back. Ballast should be here soon and socket too. I may test fire this in the 36 inch Gorilla or the 50 inch Monster, depending on existing hardware.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-15-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: thoughts

Well, I received what appears to be a new light bulb in good condition.

Unfortunately, the separate, different seller of the 4kw Ballast, never sent me the tracking number for the ballast delivery, so I can't pick up the unit at the delivery dock, after they called, (and won't talk to me without the tracking number), without the tracking number and am being charged storage fees after 48 hours. Seller isn't all that easy to contact. I don't want to say anything bad, but c'mon, three request?

Hopefully I can soon test all these, now that they are within ten miles of each other.