The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The World's Most Powerful Searchlight. :

Announcing the World's Most Powerful and currently made today the Biggest, Single Unit, Stand Alone Searchlight!:
---> 24,000 Watts of HMI Power!, (equal up to 100,000 Watts Halogen, Xenon or carbon arc., [all about the same efficiency, HMI nearly 4 times as powerful per watt, but until LightSward reflectors came along, not really useful].).

8756097311_56c9c8dc8e_t.jpg
8756097311_56c9c8dc8e_z.jpg

The LightBeam will be 23 times brighter than this.

Several bulbs under consideration: Photo below shows 18,000 watt HMI @ 1.7 million Lumen. Another more powerful bulb, the 24,000 watt HMI puts out 2.3 million lumen.

A more powerful bulb at 24,000 watts HMI = to 75,000 watts Halogen or carbon arc.===Specifications:

New four foil technology provides a 25% increase in life.
- HMI 24000W/DXS is the brightest HMI lamp on the market, at over 2,300,000 lumens.
- High color rendering index (CRI>90) typical of all HMI lamps.
- Excellent hot restart capability
- Light Arc Length: 50 mm
- Bulb Diameter: 83 mm
- Bulb Length Max.: 500 mm
- Luminous Efficiency: 95 lm/W
- Average Service Live: 375 hours

- eXtreme Seal (XS) technology allows up to 450°C at the pinch seal

Searchlight itself: Under consideration:

4168248353_b0a26d1601_o.png

7 foot diameter using split hinged reflector technology for easy transport. Drastically improved reflector design, layout, precision manufacturing mold production using superior screeding technology and application. Highly researched and developed reflective material with lifetime ability for anyone to repair/ replace any section with ease and low cost. Low maintenance. Brightest beam around. Look and basic optical Design similar to Gorilla, NightHawk and SportLight Technology. Very affordable for average person. Projected sticker cost is less than $27,995.00

Back in the late 1800's GE built back then the World's largest diameter searchlight at 80 inches, but not used too often and is in the roof of a school, occasionally used in some celebration. This searchlight I'm building is more practical at over 72 inches in diameter!

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ultimate signaling device for all creatures in the universe. Improved reflector optical shaping and reflective surface technology, long focal lengths and the most powerful light bulb, (24,000 watt HMI technology), make this an attention gathering device for all interactive and curious photonicly excited entities.

I'm working on several options to make transport relatively easy for a seven foot searchlight. I'm experimenting with several scale models.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun looking at all the options.

Looking at frame types, construction methods, parabolic shape tolerances, etc.

For shipping or just regular transporting options to parties, events, search and rescue, or just a nice light to sit by during long Winter months. I may build the Biggest using: Quarter sectioned, half sectioned or whole searchlight pieces...maybe all three types available.

Ballasts are a little pricier than I first anticipated, so I'll have to up the minimum finished price by four thousand dollars:

EB425CP Ballast 4000 / 2500 5 141
EB640 Ballast 6000 / 4000 6 225
EB1260 Ballast 12 / 6 Kw with trolley 11 620

When or if I find a better deal on ballast, of course the price will go back down.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first run of the World's Most powerful single unit searchlight will probably be four equal pie section quarters with the light unit placed in center and yoke and base attached to assembled basic unit. Barrel and protective lens or front glass will be louvered or pied for cost and weather. May have a similar appearance to the 60 inch carbon arc searchlights. The basic searchlight isn't very expensive to build, just the light bulb and ballast and maybe the front glass, (lens).

This is going to be exciting!:thumbsup:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
For starters, I'll probably start with this 6 KW HMI lamp. With the Searchlight at 72 inches and 570,000 lumen, it will have a lot of lumens and be quite large. The arc is under an inch, (21 mm), gap and the reflector having a smoother, larger, more precise shape, the beam will be closer to being collimated than my other searchlights.

OSRAM metal halide HMI
lamps are the professional's choice for exterior and interior daylight lighting. Thanks to the special blend of mercury and metal halide in the arc tube, HMI lamps generate the 6000K color temperature required to match natural daylight, making them very effective for stage lighting and large screen projection applications.I apologize, but one of my photo hosts has unreliable and unstable links, (Facebook based), and this caused a large amount of my photos to vanish over he last few days. Apologize, but with all the photos I posted I'm not able to update all them do to a variety reasons, mostly time.

(Sneak Preview) Here is a quick look at the Searchlight when half finished, using only a 100watt HID bulb. Eventually I did Upgrade to a 1200 watt HMI with the help of the IgnITEor.

5945243575_9e3ecbda8d_b.jpg

SKU54315
UPC Code046135543159
ManufacturerOsram Sylvania
BaseS25.5
Bulb TypeHigh Intensity Discharge Bulbs (HID)
Color Rendering Index (CRI)90
Color Temperature (K)6000K
Diameter (in)2.126
Lamp Finishclear
Luminous Flux (LM)570000
Maximum Overall Length (in)17.71
Rated Life (Hours)500
ShapeDouble-Ended
Voltage (V)123V
Wattage (W)6000W

Product Manuals

Arc Gap 21 mm

Here is a(n) HMI ballast that can deliver both a 6 kw and 12 kw bulb it's juice!

Many sizes to choose from.
pdf.png
Osram 54315 HMI 6000W/DXS (Size: 128.2 KB)
You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the Manuals.
download.gif
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost ready to build the primary reflector sectional mold. Figuring the best surface finish for wax adhesion. Too shiny and the wax 'sloughs off', too rough and the finished wax surface can distort and cause an orange peel finish.
3996915911_67387e330b_t.jpg
3996915911_67387e330b_b.jpg

Will post photos of the design and build progress as they become available.

Working out the framing details and hardware arrangements.

This is going to be awesome.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it come with a decent pocket clip?

No pocket clip, but the fully assembled basic lord of searchlights will carry conveniently on a specially designed back pack. Some of the units will have very light weight shells for this portability. Wattage will likely be anywhere from the current 1.2 kw, 4 kw, 6 kw, 18 kw and 24 kw HMI high power per watt bulbs..

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some of the drawings I'm preparing for building the base reflector mold and frame work.

1503318_10201227400342217_2058777732_n.jpg
I apologize, but one of my photo hosts has unreliable and unstable links, (Facebook based), and this caused a large amount of my photos to vanish over he last few days. Apologize, but with all the photos I posted I'm not able to update all them do to a variety reasons, mostly time.

(Sneak Preview) Here is a quick look at the Searchlight when half finished, using only a 100watt HID bulb. Eventually I did Upgrade to a 1200 watt HMI with the help of the IgnITEor.

22784760742_b7f34d5312_k.jpg

Just getting this thing ready to transfer to the framework that will become the primary reflector mold.

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened
This is one interesting project. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

For shipping or just regular transporting options to parties, events, search and rescue, or just a nice light to sit by during long Winter months. I may build the Biggest using: Quarter sectioned, half sectioned or whole searchlight pieces...maybe all three types available
but the fully assembled basic lord of searchlights will carry conveniently on a specially designed back pack.

Any ideas concerning power sources? 24kW is quite a lot for ordinary apartment buildings, not to mention the possible search and rescue situations (6kW is quite lot, too).

No pocket clip

Not a problem. I prefer keychain carry anyway. :thumbsup:

tpetsch

Newly Enlightened
All this powered by a single 18650?

Sign me up!

...But seriously a very cool concept. I'll be watching & thanks for sharing, good luck :)