Nitecore HC50 has problems

shays_rebellion

Newly Enlightened
After getting the HC50 and liking it I suggested that several of my friends buy the light and they did. One of them sent me an email saying the led comes on or stays on very dimly when its supposed to be off. I checked mine and sure enough it does it too. I wrote another buddy and he said his does it as well.

This is what I am seeing.....

If I use the red lights I see the main led light up about .001 lumen in intensity (very dim, but battery draining). On my buddies he said his does it after he puts new battery in or after tightening tail cap. My other buddy says he sees it a few minutes after tightening the tail cap. He said the led just starts to dimly glow all on its own.

I have written illumination supply (my vendor) and let them know the light has a problem. Could some of you check your lights and maybe if you have the problem test the drain of the battery while its dimly lit?

I registered just to post this as I am usually just a lurker.

TurboBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I have none of the problems you mention

I also bought mine from Illumination Supply

Perhaps you and your friends had a defective batch

I hope you are able to resolve the issue

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
I just checked and my HC50 doesn't have this problem. Mine is also from Illumination Supply.

kj2

Flashaholic
Mine glows too. I will report this directly to Nitecore. Look what they have to say about it.

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Mine glows too. I will report this directly to Nitecore. Look what they have to say about it.

IS tested his and sees the issue and reported in another thread the led glow is drawing 89 micro-amps along with the parasytic drain of 80 you have a total of 169 micro-amps if the led glow is present. Thats a 2 year life on the battery if both are present.

CUL8R

Enlightened
My light arrived today, so I stuck in a newly charged Eagletac battery and tried it out. I get the very dim main led on about 1/2 the time I turn on the main led, or the red leds. Dim, bright, steady on, or flashing don't seem to matter. There is no pattern to when it will remain on or will turn off completely. I know it remains on for at least 4 minutes, but didn't test longer.

I did discover (at least on mine) that if you unscrew the battery cap far enough so that the led goes out, then re-tighten it, the dim led glow always come back on until the green battery check led finishes flashing, then the dim led will go out. This is 100% successful on mine. It is a PITA, but better then leaving the led to slowly discharge the battery.

You will only see this issue if you check in a really dark place. The dim (almost moonlight mode) glow cannot be seen if there is any light present.

kj2

Flashaholic
Received answer back from Nitecore. They want me to send it back, to them. I won't, because of the shipping-costs.

speedsix

Enlightened
Received answer back from Nitecore. They want me to send it back, to them. I won't, because of the shipping-costs.

They should send you a pre-paid label to send it back to them. This is now a known issue that is their fault. Why should the end user be inconvenienced and out money for buying their faulty product? They need to eat the cost on this and fix the problem before it hurts their rep.

This is why I never buy the newest products. I always wait until version 2.0 is out. I waited on buying the Armytek Wizard Pro and was rewarded with an improved version and a discount. You never get good discounts on brand new products. I'm not a fan of being an unpaid beta tester and having to foot the bill as well.

kj2

Flashaholic
They should send you a pre-paid label to send it back to them. This is now a known issue that is their fault. Why should the end user be inconvenienced and out money for buying their faulty product? They need to eat the cost on this and fix the problem before it hurts their rep.

This is why I never buy the newest products. I always wait until version 2.0 is out. I waited on buying the Armytek Wizard Pro and was rewarded with an improved version and a discount. You never get good discounts on brand new products. I'm not a fan of being an unpaid beta tester and having to foot the bill as well.

Sending it on their costs, would be indeed great customer service, but won't expect they will do that.
I've no problem buying lights as soon they are released. I expect they test their lights long before releasing.

rje58

Enlightened
Did you ask them for a prepaid label? The last time I purchased a new light and had a problem right out of the box, the dealer emailed me a prepaid shipping label as soon as I notified them of the issue.

Sending it on their costs, would be indeed great customer service, but won't expect they will do that.
I've no problem buying lights as soon they are released. I expect they test their lights long before releasing.

CUL8R

Enlightened

I agree with the first point. I brought this issue up with Going Gear and they immediately asked if I thought it was defective and wanted to return it? Isn't that exactly what a good dealer should do? I don't want to return it at this point, but did ask them to check with Nitecore, which they are going to do. At this point I can easily unscrew the end cap and retighten to return the unit to a completely off state. I know its a PITA and an extra step, but it is effective.

Disagree on the second point. I've puchased a lot of early run LEDS and never had an issue before. And this year there were a lot of good deals on these lamps 15- 30% off on black friday deals. Most flashlights are eventually upgraded and the new editions are usually improved. But that is like saying I'm not going to buy this year's new Mustang, because next year's is going to be better. Following that concept means never getting a new car as they are always improving/changing. Same with computers and lights and all technology.

So what do we all agree on? That nitecore needs to get off their a** and respond to their dealers and those of us who are having this issue. I currently own 5 Nitecore lights and if they don't respond quickly to this issue, will almost certainly never buy another. Get cracking Nitecore!!!

kj2

Flashaholic
No, I haven't asked them for a prepaid label. I could ship it back to my seller, but he isn't a official Nitecore dealer. So if it needs to be repaired, it has to go to China.

wrcsixeight

Newly Enlightened
While I regret my order now, and have not even received the product yet, nor know if it is also has the issues described above.

I have to ask myself if i would pay twice as much for the same Product if it were manufactured in the USA.

I think I would. Shipping something back to China is just wasteful.

Such a shame that the maximum profit mentality beats everything, such a shame that the consumer is only worried about initial cost.

I bought mine through Amazon. I got prime. I might send it back without even opening it, If I can resist. Buyer beware. I wish i waited two more days to click 'place order'

I guess if one can just unscrew the cap a certain amount to keep the glow/ discharge from happening, i can deal with it, but this is my priciest flashlight so far, and to hear of this issue is most disheartening.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same problem here. Got it from European importer.

No big deal. Other Nitecore flashlights have the same problem, see for example the early production units of TM15.

It's no defect. It's what you get what you pay for. Nitecore.

wrcsixeight

Newly Enlightened
I just received mine, and at first I thought mine did not have the issue, but sticking my eyeball right up to the lens show it is glowing extremely dimly. But it does not always glow. I am using the 2 cr123 batteries it came with.

Unscrewing the battery lid about 1/6th of a turn and it stops glowing. I'm not going to bother returning it, I can live with having 2 power switches, the normal power button and the unscrew the cap for safe mode is how I will view the 189 micro amp parasitic draw.

I like the light. I have an Amazon bought Chinese xml-t6 headlamp dual 18650(parallel) with a zoomable lens that I like too, but the low setting is still way too bright for reading. It claims to have 1200 lumens. Hard to say with a narrower flood beam and a bluer light on that light, but they seem equally bright.

I wish the lowest setting was just a smidge brighter

Verndog

Enlightened
While I regret my order now, and have not even received the product yet, nor know if it is also has the issues described above.

I have to ask myself if i would pay twice as much for the same Product if it were manufactured in the USA.

I think I would.
Shipping something back to China is just wasteful.

Such a shame that the maximum profit mentality beats everything, such a shame that the consumer is only worried about initial cost.

I bought mine through Amazon. I got prime. I might send it back without even opening it, If I can resist. Buyer beware. I wish i waited two more days to click 'place order'

I guess if one can just unscrew the cap a certain amount to keep the glow/ discharge from happening, i can deal with it, but this is my priciest flashlight so far, and to hear of this issue is most disheartening.

I think you answered your own question. If this is the most expensive light you ever bought...then you are buying largely on price....like most people.

Has anyone run this light without the top strap? Curious if it will support the weight and still be comfortable.