Brinyte DIV03 VS Something else.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just had a Brinyte DIV03 turn up in the post.

Specs.
3xAA cell NiMh or Alkaline
Single mode
XML cool white
Twist head to turn on

Initial feeling was this is quite a well built light. It is very heavy at 383 grams inc 3 Sanyo NiMh.
Reflector is smooth but not deep.
My guess is the driver is AMC7135 or similar based as when I put it on my power supply it maxed out at 3 amps at about 4 volt.
After losing my highly modified W200 last month I think this could be my new back up light.... except I do have a DIV05 on order.

What would make this light much better is a deper lens to allow for a better focused beam (personal prefference). Also if it was 15mm longer in the battery tube it could take 26650's or 18650's with an adaptor as well as the 3 AA's. As it is it should take 26500's but these are a little hard to come by.

I tried removing the front bezel and lens but it is stuck tight.

The other light I have here I can not identify although others have posted about it. It sells under a fer different names and styles.

Specs.
3xAAA cell NiMh or Alkaline, 1 x 18650 or 1 x 26650
8 modes in 2 groups no memory
XML cool white
Twist ring to turn on, 3 settings off, on with different power and on with different flahing

This is a bit of a light weight at 213 gramms inc 18650. It just does not feel like quality. But it does produce a more powerful and focused beam. The multiple levels are not something I like. A high and low be be fine. also the switch that selects these modes contain a spring, ball bearing and a magnet that are exposed to water and my guess is they will soon rust out. On the other hand the battery options are very good. The lens is glass but I dont think its thick enough for serious dives. 40 meters will probably be OK. I also dont like the finned heatsink head design. Its simply not needed in water.

I hope to soon have a DIV05 to add to the review

bvanant

Newly Enlightened
My brinyte from ebay flooded on dive 2 and getting a replacement hasn't occurred yet.
Bill

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my DIV05 turned up an hour before I left for a dive.

It takes a single 18650,
it is about 5mm longer than the DIV03
It is narrower in the head and body
The smooth reflector is narrower but deeper, beam pattern is similar.
Finish is matt black ve gloss black of DIV03

I like it!
But both lights performed well untill a single AA NiMh failed causing the DIV03 to fail.
Does this mean single cell lights are more reliable than multi cell lights?
Something to ponder!

Last edited:

bvanant

Newly Enlightened
My brinyte from ebay flooded on dive 2 and getting a replacement hasn't occurred yet.
Bill
No definite post mortem, but the o-rings at the front end look kind of flattened to me. Next time, take it all apart then replace the o-rings.
Bill

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to remove the bezel, reflector and LED pill from a DIV05 today.

Bezel is held on by a square thread. Driver is a 8x7135 driver. The PCB you can see when replacing battery is not the driver, just a PCB for connecting to the battery.

I have now modified this DIV05 by removing the reflector and adding a 19mm aluminium spacer under the LED to bring the LED right up behind the lens. The result is a nice little video light!

tharg

Newly Enlightened
I managed to remove the bezel, reflector and LED pill from a DIV05 today.

Bezel is held on by a square thread. Driver is a 8x7135 driver. The PCB you can see when replacing battery is not the driver, just a PCB for connecting to the battery.

I have now modified this DIV05 by removing the reflector and adding a 19mm aluminium spacer under the LED to bring the LED right up behind the lens. The result is a nice little video light!

hay pack how long a burn time are you getting from the div 05..thinking about maybe 2 mounted to a dive helment with a gopro

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are 2800ma drivers. Use a 2400-2600mah cell and you will probably get 30 minutes at max, 30 minutes at "bright" 30 minutes of dimming.

If you use a 3400panasonic charged at 4.35v you may indeed reach 2 hours of usable light.

If you need a long run time then open it up and remove one or more of the 8 7135 driver chips from the PCB.

tharg

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks. Might try to make a couple for video its my first video camera hope its enough lite...also what are you doing to loosing the lock tight I have a div03 and finally got the the front bezel off .but there is a ring nut holding the pill in for the life of me I cant buge it.prob have to make some kind of spanner wrench to loosing it.was thinking heat gun but dont wont to waste the led and driver .

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pill is not that tight in the ones I have taken apart. You need a pair of snap ring pliers or some thing similar. Remove it from the front of the light.

tharg

Newly Enlightened
Was your right hand thread just making sure im not tighting it even more

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. Yes.

The ones I have opened opened without too much effort.
The ones that didn't, didn't.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had another DIV05 fail. ( first was DOA)
This was on its first dive and a partial flood. All evidence points to the flood being at the centre so all 3 barrel O rings failing which seemed strange to me.
Upon closer inspection the grooves for the 3 Orings is 23mm OD while the O rings appear to be 19mm ID (23mmOD) x 2mm. When they are in place they stretch a bit and become somewhat less than 2mm thick.

This still seals... until you wobble the barrel a bit and then the seal fails. At least this is what I found when I tested it with just one O Ring. I think the proper O ring size should be about 22mm ID x 2mm.

i checked my own personal DIV05 that has a few dives on it and it also has the same size O rings. I will be changing them over Monday.

offroad

Newly Enlightened
I think the proper O ring size should be about 22mm ID x 2mm.
I checked my own personal DIV05 that has a few dives on it and it also has the same size O rings. I will be changing them over Monday.

After changing these do you still feel this is the proper size, and any other failures after the swap to 22mm ID x 2mm rings?

Did you change the body O rings, and the tailcap or only the body?
What type of O rings should be used, silicone or other?

Thanks

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only other failure I have had is dropping it after surfacing :(

Standard oring material is fine.