How long until we have a Fenix PD35 equivalent with 1000 lumens?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long do you estimate it will be, before we get Fenix PD35 size/form that can dish out 1000 lumens? I mean I sit here, waiting for my PD35 delivery, wondering how soon such a 1k lumen light will in my possession. Any theories or estimates from people who are on top of the LED emitter lumen ratings over time and what not? I love Fenix flashlights but I am not really up on LED's any more, not since the cree Q5 have I looked into the actual emitters.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
T12 is over a grand, if you load 18350's into even an old T6 XML XT11 its over 1k L, and so forth....LOTS of options over 1k L.

Heck, go to Vinh's sub forum here, and you can get plenty of P60 sized lights WELL over 1k L....over 2k L etc.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but I am talking about a fenix light in the same size/form as the PD35 that would be able to do 1000 or more lumens.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Like mentioned before we are almost there right now. The Nitecore P12 delivers 950 lumens and the PD35 delivers 850 lumens. Both these lights could be build to be driven harder so they could deliver 1000+ lumens, but since the heat rises so quickly at those levels it would be just a short burst mode that quickly would step down in effect to prevent overheating.

These lights have the XM-L2 diod that is the state of the art right now. Every time new diods are released they usually have about 15-20% more effectiveness than previous generations,so i think that we have to wait a year or so until the next newest LED from Cree is released until we will se more flashlights in the size of the P12 and PD35 that is capable of delivering 1000+ lumens over an extended period.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
zebralight SC600 Mk2 L2 is over 1000 lumens. and is buck/boost so it's the only single-cell that could sustain that throughout most of the voltage range of the battery. your usual fenix or nitecore is only able to achieve max output with a cell close to fully charged

and your fenix PD35 steps down automatically regardless how cold it is. the zebralight dynamically steps up/down depending on its temperature :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yes but I am talking about a fenix light in the same size/form as the PD35 that would be able to do 1000 or more lumens.

Oh, if you mean Fenix, stock, well, maybe after a new LED comes out and they start using it. They are already using the LEDs that are available, but not getting past that Lumen output you want.

Part of it is heat and part of it is run time of course. The ones who are over 1k L are pushing it harder and the limits are heat and run time. Fenix is going with lower heat and longer run time...so, they lose the lumen and throw wars. If you must have a Fenix with higher lumens, I suppose it means that you disagree with their chosen philosophy of instead getting a certain run time and heat load, etc.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love fenix lights, don't get me wrong, I am just wondering how long it will be until they release a PD35 equivalent that does 1k. I do like more throw than flood, which is why I went with the PD35 after having the PD32 UE because it has a bit better range while still having great flood as well.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I love fenix lights, don't get me wrong, I am just wondering how long it will be until they release a PD35 equivalent that does 1k. I do like more throw than flood, which is why I went with the PD35 after having the PD32 UE because it has a bit better range while still having great flood as well.

How much more throw did you want, or, is the throw OK, but you want the same range but wider beam?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for darkness to test it out. On paper and by reviews the throw is better. I already like the PD32 UE and now that I have the PD35 it should be even better in terms of distance. But like I said, I am not sure from my own perspective because it is not completely dark yet. My absolute ideal would be PD30 R2 throw with half the spill of the PD32 UE.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I am waiting for darkness to test it out. On paper and by reviews the throw is better. I already like the PD32 UE and now that I have the PD35 it should be even better in terms of distance. But like I said, I am not sure from my own perspective because it is not completely dark yet. My absolute ideal would be PD30 R2 throw with half the spill of the PD32 UE.

IIRC, the R2 was rated to throw to 145 m, so that's a cd of ~ 5.3k

The UE is rated at ~ 6k cd.

So the throw of the PD30 R2 is less than the PD32 UE, but with less flood....so, that would sort of BE a PD30 R2 with half the spill of the PD32 UE?

Am I understanding what you are saying? Or is the flood of the PD30 R2 LESS than half of the PD32 UE?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long do you estimate it will be, before we get Fenix PD35 size/form that can dish out 1000 lumens?

Probably around the time you start asking when we're going to have a 1,200 lumen pd35 equivalent!

wjv

Enlightened

I have a PD32, PD32UE and a older 337 lumen, 215 meter rated TK15

Just got a ArmyTek Predator. It's a completely different class of light. It literally feels different in your hand compared to a Fenix. Everything about it is heavy duty.

I looked at the new TK22 and the Nitecore SRT series, and realized that a simple 30-40 meter rating bump is meaningless given how our eyes work. I doubt that I would have been able to see much difference between my old TK15 and a new TK22. Glad I went with the Predator as I went from the TK15 with a 215 meters rating, to a 400 meter rated light. I can really see the difference.

#disclamer: As always, the factory rated throw is always considerably higher than the real life, practical use throw of a light.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot speak for Nitecore, but Fenix has had stunning quality flashlights for quite some time now. The original first ones they released were not built as well as the ones from a couple years ago and newer. I love Fenix lights.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you write to Fenix and just ask? Logic will tell you 1k will be here very quickly and then it will 1.5k and so on.Look at camera pixels, long way since the days of just 1yet still half the users cannot take a decent pic to save there lives.