Beamshot picture advice for a photo noob?

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
Ive tried a few times to take some beamshots, but they all look awful.

Is there a guide somewhere, or can someone tell me what I need to do somewhat specifically and generically at the same time, as far as camera settings?

Also, Ive been wondering recently if its a good idea to have some sort of object/target to use instead of just shining the light at a random tree/building.
Seems like I saw a couple videos and pictures where they used either dummies or other objects at a distance that showed how well the light worked at lighting them up.
Even closer shots with a bench or something similar seemed to help with the definition of the beam and pattern.

Ive got an old Nikon Coolpix, but it does have some manual settings on it, I just dont know what Im doing photography wise to know what I need to change.
I also, or rather my wife, have a newer Nikon thats a step removed from an SLR camera and has a TON of settings.
Too bad I cant get her to take the shots as Im sure she could do much better than me, but she has no interest in my lights except when the power might go out, though she does let me acquire them without too much fuss.

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated!

kj2

Flashaholic
I use a Canon EOS 500D, for my photos. But I mostly shoot in auto-mode. Only for beamshots I set it in manual mode.
Getting the lighting right, is key. Photos I take now, are taken under a (large)window. And to redirect the light from outside, I use 3 white cardboard-plates.