Fenix TK76 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey guys,
Fenix generously sent me one of their new flashlights as a participant in their global campaign. What's different about this flashlight is that it has been engineered with an unusual geometric layout, and capabilities.
First Impressions
When I got the TK76 sample, I picked it up and immediately felt quite a bit of weight. I was even wondering if it had batteries already inside. When I put in the batteries, it became a bit heavier. Most of the weight comes from the head, which I applaud Fenix for. This means that the TK76 will have enhanced heat dissipation, and will be less likely to trip the thermal protection mechanism when running on max outputs.
My next thought was, "wow, this flashlight looks really awesome and futuristic." I think maybe Hollywood and movie companies will start using the TK76 in their sci-fi movies.
:tinfoil:
NmcX7jR.jpg

Vr2TSDj.jpg

Now, what do I mean by the unconventionally shaped flashlight? Ask yourself if your average flashlight looks something like this:
lgf4GuI.jpg

Or, like this:
mILLdpo.jpg

I guess now we have a general idea of what I mean. This light is known as the Fenix TK76 (though you might have known that already from the title anyways…), and it is a highly dynamic flashlight, able to serve a wide range of purposes. It has three Cree XM-L2s all of which are tailored to different beam profiles. Speaking of wide ranges, the UI almost looks like a full-blown control panel:
O0DdAu7.jpg

This is the left LED, which has the floodiest beam out of all three LEDs, and seems to be equipped with a special optic which gives it a 120 degree spread. The right LED is a neutral white XM-L2 T6 LED, which has a 60 degree spread through the use of an optic, which I personally love for its tint and well balanced beam. The top has a cool-white XM-L2 sitting in a reflector almost as big as the Fenix TK41, and throws almost as good.
CwJfUAK.jpg

prfPUZR.jpg

Yv351Km.jpg

ivKTOO9.jpg

The knurling is quite simple
PME8YHW.jpg

0wweUCv.jpg

pSWnPXu.jpg

NY3J89P.jpg

The heat fins you see do a great job dissipating the heat from the LED, but later on I'll show you guys another use for them.
The TK76 has a convenient tripod hole under its belly:
ynSwLnQ.jpg

tvYQUNF.jpg

From this angle, with a bit of imagination, it is reminiscent of a battleship gun turret…
DbIlbwE.jpg

The TK76 uses a battery carrier for the four 18650s batteries, in an emergency it can use 2 18650s or 4 CR123s.
q2ugP2a.jpg

My sample came very well lubed and healthy o-ring.
QCmN9iM.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the screws used are somewhat corroded. I suspect this may be because my sample is just that, a sample. Therefore, I only assume Fenix may have understandably tried to minimize costs and used some old screws they had laying around. In my case, the screws do not affect the TK76's performance.
I am aware of the fact that other reviewers also have these particular components corroded; however, I highly doubt Fenix will do this on production models for consumers.
2zG1yie.jpg

epBAgqd.jpg

3JbD803.jpg

hDnT5o3.jpg

I recall some reviewers noting that their samples used older generation XM-Ls, rather than the newer XM-L2s. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, there are XM-L2s on my sample.
oqgvb0V.jpg

GYxBPuU.jpg

YDRW3e7.jpg

kUbMhde.jpg

SG9h4SD.jpg

The screws on the heads give the TK76 an armored, tough look to it, what do you guys think?
hhqSrsw.jpg

Here is the TK76 with the tripod base attatched:
5QiZBgu.jpg

dS9oc2y.jpg

iVXVtEn.jpg

XHtSjWu.jpg

I recently used the TK76's tri-pod-able abilities to scour my family's 10,000 Christmas tree for busted bulbs
:ironic:
XunLltH.jpg

Of course, I used the TK76 for a really long time and soon after it started giving me the low voltage lights. Please note, when this happens the TK76 doesn't just turn off randomly, rather, it steps down to a lower output.
B1fGjQo.jpg

Here is the cool heat fin idea I was talking about. I noticed my laser pointer could fit in the hole of the heat fins, and one could potentially make a "mega-light", attaching many different lights to the TK76. Though here is my watered-down version of the TK76 "mega light", a laser pointer/flashlight.
6n0uHAw.jpg

PcWrIeW.jpg

Here's the Fenix family: (From left to right- TK76, TK41, LD41 TA21, TK20)
2ROdyid.jpg

tEl9Fyc.jpg

Reflector size comparisons:
OxpDBQt.jpg

Apu8BjX.jpg

GjvWpKW.jpg

DJwvL8r.jpg

I went to Fenix and asked if the TK76 was waterproof. They assured me it was, though my primary concern was the switches. In the TK41, they are rubber:
EB8CK8P.jpg

And in the TK76 they are plastic,
4ldWcIi.jpg

3m6PWkZ.jpg

Beam Profiles
Below I will be comparing the beam spreads and angles of the TK76's many heads. The order is – 120 degree, spotlight, 60 degree.
Control:
(Note the camera was set to auto-exposure)
0jy37lC.jpg

120 Degree:
kryyE8x.jpg

Spotlight:
iEVNSSM.jpg

Neutral White 60 Degrees:
P1wCh4U.jpg

Whitewall Beamshots:
I took these pictures to give you guys a better idea of the various beam profiles. The order is same as before.
Control:
4l6RH2I.jpg

120 Degrees:
NsHPcd2.jpg

Spotlight:
ldhEvC0.jpg

Neutral White 60 Degrees:
seepP4s.jpg

Totally Unscientific Waterproof Test
Well, Fenix did say their TK76 was waterproof, so here I go:
Bucket full of water
hRz3jEB.jpg

Ah-ooo-ga!
u3GyW9q.jpg

bYoClcc.jpg

Full steam ahead!
QQzwBOM.jpg

7SAgZxe.jpg

uHwnFDG.jpg

M4VqgyA.jpg

CFLUV2Q.jpg

Joking aside, I basically filled a bucked with water, and played with all the switches underwater for around five minutes. I was never worried about any water going in, I just made sure the tailcap and everything were properly sealed. After all, Fenix knows what they're talking about, in fact, they even encouraged me to submerge it.
:devil:I don't know about diving though, I've never done any SCUBA before. To this time, the TK76 works just as when it first came in the mail.
Outdoor Beamshots
Yeah! Now we're talking!
I took these yesterday, because the weather was perfect, nearly cloudless, and it was a full moon. I could see everything thanks to the moon, I never knew a full moon could give out so much light, I bet I could have flown an airplane perfectly fine through the clouds, which were completely visible. But I had to lower the exposure times or else the camera would be overloaded with photons. All beamshots below have equal exposures and were done with their highest outputs.
Control:
apMmBDD.jpg

First up my beloved, good ol' TK20 (Also a neutral white)
yZh0yne.jpg

Fenix TA21:
WMOIdju.jpg

Fenix LD41:
KvVbUkZ.jpg

Fenix TK41:
d8td9MY.jpg

Fenix TK76 – 120 Degrees:
WftjOAu.jpg

Fenix TK76 – Spotlight:
gWqAbnt.jpg

Fenix TK76 – Neutral White 60 Degrees:
ip10XLR.jpg

Fenix TK76 – All LEDs on max power:
ZfOm10U.jpg

Fenix TK76 in lightsaber mode:
b11XKgp.jpg

Here is the TK76 lighting up my house. I had to go farther away, because the sheer brightness of the two flood heads tended to overwhelm the camera, as well as my eyes. And so, the picture is as close to what my eyes see in real life:
Control:
UaDDMjw.jpg

Flood LEDs on:
gSJqmz8.jpg

Me and my brother were playing soccer in our backyard using the TK76 on the tripod, sucks I couldn't get a picture of that though:(. It's really cool and the neighbors expressed interest in the light and I let them play around with the TK76.
Thank you guys for reading my review. If you guys have any questions or suggestions feel free to post them or send me a PM,
Cheers,
-Alain

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
dude, amazing review and congrats on the review unit for such an expensive light!

I wonder if the two empty bays up on the front will be good for modding more stuff in or, perhaps, an add-on you can buy

firelord777

Enlightened
dude, amazing review and congrats on the review unit for such an expensive light!

I wonder if the two empty bays up on the front will be good for modding more stuff in or, perhaps, an add-on you can buy

Thanks bud! Yeah, the two bays, I think, could certainly provide add ons how you say...

Cheers man!

-Alain

Lightning Bub

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review. I really thought this light was a joke when I originally saw the pictures. I'm sure somebody out there thinks this thing looks good or makes sense, but I certainly won't be buying one. In a package that size, they certainly could have given the buyer more output. It is quite the conversation piece...kinda like a Desert Eagle Mark XIX.

Lightning Bub

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the production model will have hex-head bolts instead of those horrible phillips-head screws?

Lightning Bub

Newly Enlightened
I just think that all of these companies are going for the industrial look, and those screws detract from that look.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review and pics,love this light:D more so for being different.Its on my list after xmas to get,i do wander over the rusty screws though as would expect it to be perfect for samples......
How long on turbo before it steps down,does it get quite warm or stay cool with the head size?
My only slight concern with it being so "futuristic" is that it will probably look dated imo in 12 months.......if makes sense.
Either way i want one!
:thumbsup:

kj2

Flashaholic
16a4ria.jpg
15dnwc3.jpg

Mine came in today, but look at this (and compare with yours). Two versions of the TK76??

edit: looking at the release pic from Fenix. It looks like, I've a later review-release version.

np3mdc.jpg

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review and pics,love this light:D more so for being different.Its on my list after xmas to get,i do wander over the rusty screws though as would expect it to be perfect for samples......
How long on turbo before it steps down,does it get quite warm or stay cool with the head size?
My only slight concern with it being so "futuristic" is that it will probably look dated imo in 12 months.......if makes sense.
Either way i want one!
:thumbsup:

Hey man,

Thanks! The TK76, depending on your batteries, steps down from turbo after a few minutes if either the batteries cannot handle the high draw currents or if the thermal management kicks in. Fenix sent me a picture here:

byzudy7e.jpg

Cheers:)

firelord777

Enlightened
16a4ria.jpg
15dnwc3.jpg

Mine came in today, but look at this (and compare with yours). Two versions of the TK76??

edit: looking at the release pic from Fenix. It looks like, I've a later review-release version.

np3mdc.jpg

I'm glad it finally came in! I do think you got sent an updated review sample, lucky you!

Look forward to your review my friend,

-Alain