Top throwers using 18650, neutral in color and 6in. or smaller.

ijustwantausername

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea flashlights could be this addicting, nor that I would be joining a forum about them, but at any rate I'm looking for those specs. Nothing else really matters other than it needs to be pretty rugged.

I bought a PD35 and it was pretty good but the cool white didn't have the throw or the best light for wooded areas that I need (I hunt/fish/camp). That has now turned into dads Christmas present :). I then bought an Eagletac G25C2, MKII, neutral in color and its an awesome flashlight but I figured with such a nice difference over the PD 35 (to my eyes) maybe there is something that pushes the envelope a little more in that size.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I had no idea flashlights could be this addicting, nor that I would be joining a forum about them, but at any rate I'm looking for those specs. Nothing else really matters other than it needs to be pretty rugged.

I bought a PD35 and it was pretty good but the cool white didn't have the throw or the best light for wooded areas that I need (I hunt/fish/camp). That has now turned into dads Christmas present :). I then bought an Eagletac G25C2, MKII, neutral in color and its an awesome flashlight but I figured with such a nice difference over the PD 35 (to my eyes) maybe there is something that pushes the envelope a little more in that size.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Do you need to SEE anything at long range, or, is ultimate range on a single 18650 light with neutral, and under 6", the only criteria, as stated?

ijustwantausername

Newly Enlightened
Do you need to SEE anything at long range, or, is ultimate range on a single 18650 light with neutral, and under 6", the only criteria, as stated?

Really its both, seeing and ultimate range, if it makes any difference.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Really its both, seeing and ultimate range, if it makes any difference.

Well, its a HUGE difference actually.

To use an extreme example, as per your spec, a laser would be perfect. It could have the maximum range, and, size, cell and color, etc...but, other than a neutral dot on something, you would not see much else.

The next step up would be to an aspheric lensed light, which projects a picture of the LED onto distant objects. These CAN be used to see with, and, are the primary method of maximizing a small light's throw...but its still not a wide beam...its a square (Or whatever shape the LED is) spot of light, with a very tight beam angle, typically between 1.4º and 4º or so.

We use them for shooting, for search and rescue/disaster response and other scenarios where there's no other way to see as far as needed. These lights have almost all of their light in a bright hot spot in the shape of the LED, and there's none or little spill.

The step after that is a reflector-based light, which is a more traditional looking light, in that the beam has a central round hot spot, a corona around that, with some spill (unfocused light that lights up the area right in front of you).

These cannot throw as far, but, they will have a wider beam angle, so the beam is more fanned out, perhaps 6º - 60º, with closer to 10º or less for progressively more throw.

Out of the above options, is there a type that sounds more like what you might want?

Also - If you know a particular range of interest you'd like to be able to see something at, mention what you'd want to be able to see at what range.

ijustwantausername

Newly Enlightened
Well, its a HUGE difference actually.

To use an extreme example, as per your spec, a laser would be perfect. It could have the maximum range, and, size, cell and color, etc...but, other than a neutral dot on something, you would not see much else.

The next step up would be to an aspheric lensed light, which projects a picture of the LED onto distant objects. These CAN be used to see with, and, are the primary method of maximizing a small light's throw...but its still not a wide beam...its a square (Or whatever shape the LED is) spot of light, with a very tight beam angle, typically between 1.4º and 4º or so.

We use them for shooting, for search and rescue/disaster response and other scenarios where there's no other way to see as far as needed. These lights have almost all of their light in a bright hot spot in the shape of the LED, and there's none or little spill.

The step after that is a reflector-based light, which is a more traditional looking light, in that the beam has a central round hot spot, a corona around that, with some spill (unfocused light that lights up the area right in front of you).

These cannot throw as far, but, they will have a wider beam angle, so the beam is more fanned out, perhaps 6º - 60º, with closer to 10º or less for progressively more throw.

Out of the above options, is there a type that sounds more like what you might want?

Also - If you know a particular range of interest you'd like to be able to see something at, mention what you'd want to be able to see at what range.

Haha, the laser part made me laugh. Definitely looking for a flashlight, no lasers. Lets put it this way, since I don't know all of this fancy light jargon, how about something with comparable flood to a G25C2 but with more throw, say a good 75 yards or more throw.

mtullis

Newly Enlightened
Haha, the laser part made me laugh. Definitely looking for a flashlight, no lasers. Lets put it this way, since I don't know all of this fancy light jargon, how about something with comparable flood to a G25C2 but with more throw, say a good 75 yards or more throw.

Small Sun ZY-T08

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
armytek predator v2.5

one stop throw shop night master

tx25c2vn (eagletac tx25c2 modded by vinhnguyen

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comes in over 6" by 1/8" or so but I also recommend the Armytek Predator 2.5. You can get it in warm-white which is about 4000K or the CW which is probably upper 5500-6000K judging from mine.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comes in over 6" by 1/8" or so but I also recommend the Armytek Predator 2.5.
Another fan here... (also bought directly from ArmyTek). Tint on the NW version is very nice, but most of all the ArmyTek Predator has an amazing throw for a 1x 18650 light. @high, point it up in the night sky and it looks like a Jedi lightsaber of sorts. :eek:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just snagged a Malkoff Neutral Hound Dog and I am thinking it will be Money on an MD2 too!

They have 2 left in stock.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, Vinh's stuff (Sub-forum here) tends to have the most throw with a fatter beam in that size range. ~80 -100k cd with no aspheric, all reflector for example for the X10vn...it's bit over 5" in length, but less than 6".

That Armytek Pred Pro 2.5 is rated closer to 40k cd, and the Hound dog is rated at ~ 23k cd. (The higher the cd, the farther it can throw)