Thow out 14500?

sam7

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased some new, protected 14500 batteries. After changing, I tested the first in a Zebralight. It worked great, but got stuck in the tube.

To get it unstuck, I put a ziplock bag over the end (to catch it) and made a vigorous tomahawk chop motion.

The battery came flying out, went right through the ziplock, bounced off the carpeted floor, and landed on my table. Ugg!

There is no obvious impact damage to the battery, but it surely hit the floor pretty hard. Should I just throw away this new battery?

WarHawk-AVG

Newly Enlightened
Does shock/impact damage the batteries?

I have dropped my Efest batteries before and they keep on trucking (I use mine in much higher current situations that flashlights...I'm a vaper :D )

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sam7,

Welcome to CPF.

A visual inspection is used to detect dents. If there are no dents, then run the cell through a charge/discharge cycle attended to see if there are any charging/discharging issues. If everything comes out OK, you are good to go.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello WarHawk-AVG,

Welcome to CPF.

Cells are made up of several layers of electrodes that are rolled up in something like a jelly roll. These are put into a protective case. At some point an impact can short the cell out internally, or if the protective case is dented it can lead to a short. On the other hand a slight bump doesn't seem to do any damage at all.

It is all shades of gray... :)

Tom

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you asking us what to do with the cell, than it didn't pop from internal short, charge discharge it,. and if it workes like before, keep it.

Tacitus

Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a Li-ion charger that would perform the discharge that was mentioned (and hopefully measure the capacity)? Thanks!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use hitek 4x charger, it charges\discharges\balances\fast charge\storage charge..... it works with all types of cells, but mine was iirc $250, i do not think most people would need such charger, mine has 4 separate channes, chargers with just 1 channel are cheaper, you can get good hobby charger for about 40-60 bucks. just google hobby charger here, you will find many threads talking about few of them.