Thrunite Ti - The perfect little pocket light no more

jbrett14

Enlightened
Last year I purchased one of these little lights in a quest to find the perfect little pocket light. I LOVED it. So much so that I purchased about 15 more of them, for giving as gifts, putting on key chains, and for stashing in various packs, etc.

This light has been my EDC since I bought it, using it every day at work. I typically only use it in high mode. Recently it started acting up a bit, with the high mode sometimes acting like a medium mode, even though it only has two modes. It no longer has a consistent low & high mode, even though I have taken very good care of it. It's clean and well-lubed, and yes, I have fiddled with the metal tab.

Additionally, two of the others that I bought have simply stopped working, even though they were hardly ever used.

This is such a BIG disappointment, given that I spent around $150 on these lights. Obviously I acted prematurely, assuming they would be good reliable lights, for much longer than a mere year.

Anyone else have problems with this light?

This light has given me reason to go back to what I have always preferred - clickies. LOVED my MicroStream but it wasn't quite bright enough.

Suggestions for a RELIABLE 1 x AAA clicky welcome. Prefer one with over 50 lumens.

Lesson learned: I will not buy multiple quantities of a light that has not stood the test of time. I could have had a couple Zebralights for what I paid for these Thrunites. Frustrating.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Fenix E05. For a keyring light is plenty. I would say is reliable. Every now and then the threads and inside need to be clean. For tiny threads is normal. For about $18 to $20 shipped try one. Is plenty bright, I use it in the garage, when I get home late, inside the house, etc. The lens on it makes it a flood light which I want. 27 lumens is plenty in the dark. Try it see what you think.
I had the Arc AAA but got tired of it. Little blueish and just not bright enough. It was reliable.
From what I am reading the E01 is pretty much the same, so skip these too.

As a side note I think all lights such as these that are so small will never be very reliable. They will always be inexpensive and it will show after a while. I think that is the nature of most AAA lights. Maybe the Arc AAA is more reliable but then again is $40 to $50 shipped. Many people will not spend that much on a AAA. Peak makes AAA keyring lights but I never tried them. They start at about $40 to $50. They suppose to be reliable.
I had their AA twisty, reliable.

Talking about Zebra, my SC52 has been reliable but is not a keyring light.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am hoping to stick with at least 50+ lumens as I often use it at work, in attics, etc.

I have a Zebra SC51 which I love, but because of the accidental activation, I do not like to carry it in my pocket. Besides, I find that AA lights are just a little bit on the big side to pocket carry.

If the SC52 has solved the accidental activation problem, perhaps I could learn to deal with the larger size.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Those have a battery crusher UI.

If you pry the contacts back out again, you get the modes back.

They get flattened with time, and lose modes.

:D

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Have you considered a FourSevens Preon?

Those are nice, but the clicky attachment is not the most reliable. After about 6 months of EDC (minimal cleaning) the clicky started acting up. Intermittent activation, button sticking, flickering, etc. I found it much more reliable as a twisty, even though it is overall slightly shorter and not as comfy to hold/use. Also, if you get the clicky as an add on attachment, the pocket clip spins freely around the light as the clicky tailcap doesn't screw down all the way, I think the O-ring keeps it slightly elevated. Overall a very good light though, and runs fine for extended periods on 10440's on lower modes.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Ti's suck!! I tried prying the tabs back, but there is something else that goes bad. I gave p on the Ti's. If you noticed that Thrunite sells the Ti's in single mode. I think they know it has problems.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the Peak Eiger with qtc, but it's not a clicky. It is pretty much bomb proof though.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Perhaps I need to just keep waiting until Zebralight comes out with a AAA model. Until then, maybe I need to just get used to the fact that nobody else makes a reliable option for under $20.

I have found brands like iTP, Olight, & Thrunite to be no more reliable than Dorcy, with regards to lights under $20. Better quality build, yes, but ultimately just not reliable as far as turning on every time.

I envision a nice little thumb-operated AAA clicky from Zebralight that pumps out 80+ lumens. Is this wishful thinking that is not likely to happen?

jbrett14

Enlightened
The Thrunite Ti's suck!! I tried prying the tabs back, but there is something else that goes bad. I gave p on the Ti's. If you noticed that Thrunite sells the Ti's in single mode. I think they know it has problems.

Yes, I noticed that they now have a TiS single mode model. It seems obvious why they did this. Sounds like grounds for a recall, in which case I would like all 15 of mine replaced with the single mode models, since I only need high mode.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Ti with moonlight I used to carry still works fine, but I've given it up for an Olight i3s. Got tired on being careful not the crank down on the Ti. I gave away a few that failed in the hands of non-flashaholics. My wife's nephew broke his Ti, and wanted another, but I sent him the i3s instead. My Ti now stays at the bedside for moonlight uses.

Geoff

Illum

Flashaholic
The E05 has been shown to exhibit weaker than expected structural integrity though. Apparently they are not fully potted and several have stop working following a hard fall. Apparently the inductor is not fully potted to prevent it from shattering. I have 3, one went through machine wash medium/tumble dry heavy, so far all working.

Aside from the E05 I also have 6 Thrunite Ti and 2 Thrunite Tis...no problems to report. the kilroy needed to be bent back out every now and then as mentioned by TEEJ, but so far they are working well. Thrunites makes awesome stocking stuffers for anyone who has an adventurous heart [elementary all the way up to Ph.D]. Only $10 a pop when they came out, most of the gifted are still around, though some managed to lose it.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
L3 ILLUMINATION L10 or the new L08 might be a consideration.

I have the L10 and these work very well. The L10 is slightly larger, but it takes AA batteries which last longer. The L08 is new, so I can't say how good they are.
I also have the Klarus Mi10 which cost more, but it has been very reliable over 2 years on my keychain.
Perhaps I need to just keep waiting until Zebralight comes out with a AAA model. Until then, maybe I need to just get used to the fact that nobody else makes a reliable option for under $20.

I have found brands like iTP, Olight, & Thrunite to be no more reliable than Dorcy, with regards to lights under $20. Better quality build, yes, but ultimately just not reliable as far as turning on every time.

I envision a nice little thumb-operated AAA clicky from Zebralight that pumps out 80+ lumens. Is this wishful thinking that is not likely to happen?

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
The Ti with moonlight I used to carry still works fine, but I've given it up for an Olight i3s. Got tired on being careful not the crank down on the Ti. I gave away a few that failed in the hands of non-flashaholics. My wife's nephew broke his Ti, and wanted another, but I sent him the i3s instead. My Ti now stays at the bedside for moonlight uses.

Geoff

I made the same transition. My Ti just got...rough. the non-anodized threads really started to grind, even with lube and the thing ate O-rings as snacks. Picked up an Olight i3S after being very impressed with the specs for the price. Buttery smooth anodized square threads, not a battery crusher, and current regulated with great battery life. This thing has been tough as nails. It's ridden on my keychain for the better part of a year now and taken 2 or 3 trips through the washer and lived, although the ano is gone off of one end. Pocket clip is very strong but the crab claw attachment broke after only a week or two so don't use that. Only gripe is sometimes when it's really cold, it gets stuck on medium mode and I see you (jbrett14) also live in Michigan so that could be an issue. Although its only happened to me once. They may have fixed that issue since I bought it.

buds224

Enlightened

So true. I have since removed the metal tab on my first one and dropped a magnet at the bottom of the tube to compensate for the crushed contacts. Now it's a good single mode aaa light that I continue to use.

To the OP - I don't blame you for purchasing a bunch of them if you got them during the $7-8 promotion they had when they first came out. I have x10 of them, x1 that I just described in this post and x9 in my SHTF chest-of-goodies.

Numb

Newly Enlightened
The most reliable AAA torch Ive had is the Fenix E01. I have dropped it from 4-8m on concrete several times, washed it and dryed it along my clothes and generally used it everywhere. It has a angry blueish tint and is not the brigthtest but it always works. My preon, Mini CR2, Thrunite Ti, Olight etc has all broken while my oldest keychainlight is still working just fine. :) .
/N

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at te inova xs. The momentary button is incredibly difficult to use but other than that the light is awesome.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
treat yourself, and get a peak eiger.

Can I get one in a NON QTC version? From what I can tell, they no longer make them. Some of the sites are not crystal clear on this.

I am very interested if I can get a NON QTC version which uses a 10440 cell.