Fenix TK76 (4x 18650) review + beamshots

kj2

Flashaholic
Every now and then, Fenix writes out a Global Testing Campaign. One of the latest, was the TK76 campaign. I was one of the lucky ones, who received one.
It took some time before I received mine, but it looks like I've a later Testing-sample. Easiest way to spot the difference, is how the brand and product-name is lasered on.

6ithtl.jpg

As many of you have seen, Fenix is producing more and more flashlights (and headlamps) now with double or triple leds. The TK76 features a Spot led with two wide-angle leds. The right led has a neutral color.
I find the neutral color specially handy, when you need to see true color. I mostly use it while walking outside. It lets you see everything, but isn't that intense what Cool-White is.

Specs and Features: (given by Fenix)

·Uses two Cree XM-L2 (U2) LEDs and one Cree XM-L2 T6 neutral white LED with a lifespan of 50000 hours
·222mm (Length) x 55mm (Diameter) x 100mm (Head length) x77mm (Head Width)
·800-gram weight (excluding batteries)
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
·Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
·Intelligent thermal control to protect the flashlight against over-heat
·Tri-color displays indicate the running level and the remaining power with low-power warning
·Anti-roll and slip-resistant body design
·Independently–controlled lighting heads permit easy and fast operation
·Instant Turbo activation for immediate illumination
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
·Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating and quality PC lens

2nuoaau.jpg

As I received a review-sample, I only received the light itself. There are some pics out on the internet, where you can spot the box it comes in.

The Light:

2ugnv2w.jpg
29za68m.jpg

Size and weight-wise it's comparable with the TK75. It isn't a lightweight light, but also not that heavy that a shoulder-band is needed.
The TK76 has 5 buttons for the UI. It looks difficult, but with 5 buttons Fenix have made is easier instead.

With the red-button you turn the light on and off. If pressed all leds will turn-on at the Lowest level.
Hold the red-button for 1 second and it will turn into Strobe mode, hold it for 3 seconds and it goes into SOS.
The yellow-button (or panic-button as I call it) with turn all leds at Turbo on. Hold the yellow-button for more than 5 seconds, and the light stays on at the Turbo level.

The other three buttons correspondent with the leds in front of them. From Off, press and hold to turn-on. Press ones to cycle between Low-Med-High and Turbo.
Hold again to turn-off.

With this UI, Fenix also included a led level-indicator. Each led has his indicator. One bar means Low-mode, four bars means Turbo.

b8n6s3.jpg
5pp90.jpg

This makes it very easy to see (with daylight or at night-time) in which mode you are in.
But, Fenix didn't stop there. From Off, double press the (middle) button of the Spot-led, and you get a battery-level indicator.

14y73og.jpg

2501nwg.gif

Four bars means you are OK, and with one bar- you really need to charge your batteries ;)

280o6ww.jpg
qp0w83.jpg

2elf5l3.jpg
29nxbvs.jpg

At the underside of the head, there is a tri-pod mount available. This comes in handy, when you need to light a (large)area for long period of time.
The light can head-stand but is a little bit wobbly. The part of the spot-led (middle led) slightly protrudes from the rest of the body.

2meu3r4.jpg
wvbw4j.jpg

2lksl00.jpg
2ns8lft.jpg

The TK76 supports the extender-kit Fenix has for the TK75. I've confirmation from Fenix, that they won't come with a special TK76 extender-kit. So, you can install the TK75 kit, but
you will have two different knurling-styles on your light.

292p9jd.jpg
2qbdi5h.jpg

9rogg2.jpg
fdc5ys.jpg

Some reviewers received their TK76 sample with corroded screws. Because I received a 'later-version' I assume Fenix has taken care of this.
The Battery-carrier looks the same, as the one inside the TK75.

swz4pl.jpg
mvn6hk.jpg

2e2gzo4.jpg
167mvjn.jpg

Both the right and left led have a optic in front. The right optics, gives a 60 degree beam-angle while the left led give a 120 degree beam.
Due to the wide-angle, almost every thing in front will be lit up. To get an idea, the road you are standing on, will be lit from left to right with every side-led.
Of course, with the left led it's wider than the right one.
The leds are accessible from the outside. This is easy for the mods. It does looks like my right-led isn't a XM-L2 but a XM-L. More reviewers have this.
Fenix notes, on the final light all leds will be XM-L2.

2ibp3es.jpg

AND THEN.. Finally.. the beamshot (yeah, I hear you ;) )

I had a hard time to get the Low-mode, good on a picture. After 10 minutes of trying, I found-out it was a can't-do for my camera.
Do hope the shoot them soon inside my house, for comparison.

(note: both wide-angle led beamshots don't include Low-mode at this moment)
Fence at the back, is around 10 meters from the camera. Trees around 18 meters.

Control-shot: (Photos shot around 17:00Hr)

r91ooz.jpg

Left-Led:

25g6y6w.jpg
dz6qyp.jpg

2d16ccl.jpg

Spot-Led:

3495fl5.jpg
sbpw2e.jpg

eak4t3.jpg
zmjrf4.jpg

Right-Led: (neutral)

wi1vl5.jpg
14nihl3.jpg

11spapj.jpg

All Leds on Turbo:

2ag2cty.jpg

Size-comparison:

1t1unt.jpg
wgyijo.jpg

2qn6zqv.jpg
30sg0h5.jpg

Having this light for about two weeks now, it quickly became one of my go-to lights. Having the choice between a wide-beam or throw (or combi) suites me well.
The three leds are working nicely together, and don't disrupt each other.
The TK76 does have 200 lumens more than my TK75, but overall the TK75 does light-up a larger area (because of the bigger reflectors).

The TK76 is in a class of his own. The aren't many lights out there, where you can directly compare it with. Fenix did a smart move with putting a neutral led in it.
And because of the leds are easy accessible for mods, I'm sure we will see full neutral or even full warm-white TK76's soon.

Overall Fenix did a really good job on this one. And before I forgot to mention; Yes, it does look like something out-of Star Trek ;)
But that does make it different than all other lights :)

28vsqh0.jpg
24v8mlc.jpg

331q3rt.jpg
1zojl3t.jpg

First left led from Low to Turbo, then right led from Low to Turbo. At the end I combined both side leds on High.
Video doesn't do justice to what you see with your eyes.

- Review-sample provide by Fenix -

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great review kj2:twothumbs many thanks for spending my hard earned:D i think what appeals to me is that its "different" and the 3leds /different uses/modes etc.I suppose if you own a tk75 you could swap carriers and fit another carrier to match(2 tk75 carriers fitted to tk76),and use the tk76 carrier on the tk75 if wanted to look same........just a thought so knurling is same.

Just need to pluck up the courage to spend £££ on a light:faint:

kj2

Flashaholic
Tested while tail-standing, at room-temperature. No flowing air to the light.
After 5 minutes running on Turbo: the TK76 gets slightly warm. But you can still hold it.
10-12 minutes: Head of the light gets quite hot. Can touch it, but isn't pleasant. Heat stops around the switches. Battery-tube still good to hold in hand.
15 minutes: Heat coming down towards the battery-tube. Can still hold it in my hand.
20 minutes: OK. Heat arrived at the battery-tube. Can hold it, but sure isn't pleasant.
25 minutes: TK76 is still running at Turbo. Battery-tube is for sure not nice to hold on to ;)
30 minutes: I've stopped the test. Light was extremely hot. Had that really hot metal smell.

But still, after 30 minutes no step-down. Good job Fenix :D
While still running on max after 30 minutes, when I pressed and hold the left led button, the battery-indicator did give me 3 solid and 1 flashing bar.
That indicates a stepdown is coming, because of low-voltage.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Very interesting,thanks for sharing info kj2,can i ask if tk76 was left tail standing and then tested for heat or was the light held all the time.Just wondering/thinking if held(presuming not that is) less heat as dissipated through hand.Also if outdoors and a cool climate would help with the temps.

kj2

Flashaholic
Very interesting,thanks for sharing info kj2,can i ask if tk76 was left tail standing and then tested for heat or was the light held all the time.Just wondering/thinking if held(presuming not that is) less heat as dissipated through hand.Also if outdoors and a cool climate would help with the temps.
Forgot to mention that ;) light was tailstanding all the time, at room-temperature. No active flowing air.

ven

Flashaholic
Forgot to mention that ;) light was tailstanding all the time, at room-temperature. No active flowing air.

Thank you kj2 so it's perfectly understandable during normal use the light would more than likely run till cells said "that's enough turbo thank you very much" and heat would not be as much an issue.

den331

Newly Enlightened
mine Dosen't step down also does anyone here has a temperature gun? to measure how hot it is ?

kj2

Flashaholic
Hi kj2,
Whats the fifference between the TK75 , and the TK76?
TK75 throws better , but whats the difference?
Remco
TK75 has more throw, TK76 has more wider spill. Plus, the TK76 has the advantage you can select the output of every single led.
So you can combine led-output of all the leds. Further has the TK76 a neutral white led, which has a better color rendering.
It has a battery-level indicator, mode-level indicator and the most beautiful; it looks like a space-ship :p

ven

Flashaholic
Love that pic kj2:twothumbs

Maybe once price drops a bit i may be swayed..........not saying it is not worth the money,just i wont use it much but still want it:D

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks for this pic, kj2...:twothumbs
Can you make one in "total darkness" too?
That will better show the beam....

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for this pic, kj2...:twothumbs
Can you make one in "total darkness" too?
That will better show the beam....
Total darkness around a urban-area ;) good luck finding that :p
But I do know a spot. When I've time, it's possible :)

kj75

Enlightened
Total darkness around a urban-area ;) good luck finding that :p
But I do know a spot. When I've time, it's possible :)

BTW I meant the pic on post #8...not the pics on #12.....they're showing the beamprofile nice..

You are more lucky than me....live near to the forests..
More darkness than "Europoort" :p

Last edited:

Latest posts