Gearbest        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cree XP-G2 added to the line - 2014

Default Cree XP-G2 added to the line - 2014

Hi guys,
    I have been offering the various lights with a choice of Cree XM-L or Nichia High CRI (119 or 119V) LED now for some time. My reasoning was to either use the best LED in terms of quality of light (high CRI) or the LED capable of the greatest amount of light (lumens) which has been the Cree XM-L option. I recognize there is a broad gap between these two offerings and that for many of you, there would be a LED of preference not offered here.

There is no way I can offer even a small selection from all LED's available and certainly based on bin distinctions and differences. However I did decide to select a compromise or third solution hopefully bridging the gap. And this gap is also defined by the throw of a LED. My bias is admittedly towards flood where ever and whenever possible so my previous offerings of the LED's did not address a LED selected based on maximum lux or throw.

I have selected the Cree XP-G2 as the new addition to LED selection for a number of reasons and I also selected the bin with hopes of satisfying some of you not that enamored with the previous choices. I have opted for a XP-G2 that is balanced between max lumens VS best quality of light. For this new LED to bridge the gap it seemed reasonable that it shared some of what each of the other LED's had to offer. The bin I am using is R3 E4 which provides a LED with reasonable flux, neutral tint and reasonable CRI.

I took some sample measurements comparing a Nichia 119 (500 mA max) with Cree XM-L and Cree XP-G2 (both at 650 mA max). These were all in a Haiku with 3S converter:

LED____lumens (low) __lumens (med)__lumens (high)___lux (1 meter)__CCT (kelvin)__CRI (average)

XM-L________12________50___________240___________1400 __________6300________65

XP-G2________10_______42___________195___________2780 __________4500________80

119___________7_______31___________125___________2 200__________4500________92

In regards to throw, the die size and thus surface brightness of the die is key when collimating the beam. The 119 has a smaller apparent image size than the XP-G2 and thus a smaller diameter spot. Both of these have significantly smaller dies than the XM-L and resulting smaller diameter or tighter angles in their collimated beams. The relative differences in lux as seen in the Haiku should follow through when the LED's are used behind the other reflectors in my offerings; namely the Makai and recent AquaRam.

The XP-G2 can be used in all of the McClickie lights as well as the Aqua series. With a max current of 1500 mA if you get a AquaRam or Aqua Mule I would not suggest you drive the LED beyond the 1400 max which is presently programmed in the lights.

The XP-G2 uses the same reflector in the Haiku as the 119 (this reflector was originally designed for the XP-G).

In addition to having to order a new run of MCPCB's to host the XP-G2 I also had to order a new run of reflectors. I could have held off on this had I limited their use to just the 119's. And in the spirit of full disclosure what finally provided the tipping point was my personal desire as well as an industrial request for a Royal Blue flashlight which was best obtained by using the Cree XP-C LED.

If any of you want one of my lights using the XP-G2 LED instead of the XM-L or 119(v), please indicate this choice in your e-mail request. The price for any of these lights will be the same price as that of the 119 version of the light. the stock level for high on a 3S converter based light engine u sing the XP-G2 will be 660 mA like the XM-L based Light engines.

It is my guess that this addition is part good news for those wanting such an option as well as bad news for those already confused by all of the alternatives and variations.

And lastly, if this addition is received as other additions have been in the past, one of the first inquires I get will be focused on asking if a different tint or bin of XP-G2 could be used as a substitute to what I am offering.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

This is AWESOME news! A neutral xp-g2 is exactly what I've been wanting. Now which gorgeous host to get it in......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff Don! I think this will be well received, as was the old XP-G LE. It is a wonderful blend of flood and throw with plenty of lumens for any EDC activity. I am eager to hear people's thoughts on these as they trickle out. I still love popping my old XP-G LE in my Haiku.

Default Re: Cree XP-G2 added to the line - 2014

Email incoming for a 3v, 3s, XP-G2 Haiku. May as well start the New Year off on the right foot.

oh boy oh boy, I dont think my will power will hold out. I was going to get the AA haiku with 119, but I think ill get one of these first.

Well received here. Good work!

Awesome news!

Flashaholic*

I've been looking forward to a 1xAA Haiku and was thinking about the 119v, but this might be a better option. Opinions on this led with a 1xAA Haiku?
    Chris

I think the AA converter would lend itself better towards the 119 nichia, and the larger output of the xpg2 to the 3s converter. Thats the combo that im saving for.

I think im going to order a 3s/3v xpg2 haiku head to relace the xre head I have, and also get a full AA 119 Haiku.

This is AWESOME news! I have been looking at the Haiku for years but never could find a configuration that I could live with. Most of the time I am a fan of the XML and floody beams, but at lower mA settings, my conclusion is that the punch of the XP-G2 is the way to go.

Now I can see a Haiku AA XP-G2 in my future.

For whatever it's worth of all the emitters that have been around since I joined (late 2009), I think the XP-G2 in particular is the best general use beam which works equally well indoors and outdoors. It has nice lux numbers, but still very adequate spill.

Thank You for making this an option!

Should have mine tomorrow... Anyone else have one on the way???

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    If any of you want one of my lights using the XP-G2 LED instead of the XM-L or 119(v), please indicate this choice in your e-mail request. The price for any of these lights will be the same price as that of the 119 version of the light. the stock level for high on a 3S converter based light engine u sing the XP-G2 will be 660 mA like the XM-L based Light engines.
    Hi Don,

can you build a Haiku XP-G2 with the AA converter?

That sounds great for me.

Alex
    Just klick to fight.
    If my posts or replies sounds a little bit harsh,or you see some spelling errors, please remember, I´m writing in a foreign Language.

I took some sample measurements comparing a Nichia 119 (500 mA max) with Cree XM-L and Cree XP-G2 (both at 650 mA max). These were all in a Haiku with 3S converter:

LED____lumens (low) __lumens (med)__lumens (high)___lux (1 meter)__CCT (kelvin)__CRI (average)

XM-L________12________50___________240___________1400 __________6300________65

XP-G2________10_______42___________195___________2780 __________4500________80

119___________7_______31___________125___________2 200__________4500________92

Great news ! I think the XP-G2 is an excellent emitter, and it's always nice to have more choices

Thanks also for the measurement chart, above .... I don't think I'd seen that data anywhere before.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Great news ! I think the XP-G2 is an excellent emitter, and it's always nice to have more choices

Thanks also for the measurement chart, above .... I don't think I'd seen that data anywhere before.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by alex in germany View Post
    Hi Don,

can you build a Haiku XP-G2 with the AA converter?

That sounds great for me.

Alex
    No problem building a Haiku XP-G2 AA.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, tried to email you but it keep bouncing back.
    Am I on your barred list already?
    Would like to get a AA haiku with xpg2
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Don, do you have any output measurements with the AA converter in a Haiku?
    I'm Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by KuanR View Post
    Don, do you have any output measurements with the AA converter in a Haiku?
    I did just do a test with a Haiku AA XP-G2:
    Lumens: Low - 6, Med - 17, High - 110
    80 CRI and 4400K CCT on this sample

If that's the test reading, these xpg2 with AA are running brighter than the AA XML2 mule,
    xpg2 lumens: low -6, med- 17, High -110
    XML2 lumens: low -2, med -10, High - 85
    Last edited by GhostReaction; 01-10-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

I did just do a test with a Haiku AA XP-G2:
    Lumens: Low - 6, Med - 17, High - 110
    80 CRI and 4400K CCT on this sample
    Thanks Don! Now I just have to scrape together the funds to finally pull the trigger on one of these
    I'm Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostReaction View Post
    If that's the test reading, these xpg2 with AA are running brighter than the AA XML2 mule,
    xpg2 lumens: low -6, med- 17, High -110
    XML2 lumens: low -2, med -10, High - 85
    This is why I would prefer not providing any numbers at all. The proper way to measure lumens from a light is to have a sphere that is 2-3' in diameter and have the light inside of the sphere and have the sphere and spectrometer calibrated as a complete unit. My sphere is 6" in ID and I introduce the lights to it via a port on the side. the wide flood of the Mule likely does a much poorer job of getting the light into the sphere compared to the haiku reflector and the smaller die with tighter collimation with the XP-G could give it the edge over the larger XM-L2 die. I had to change to a smaller fiber optic cable that connects my sphere to the spectrometer when I attempted to get some quantitative measures from the Aqua lights so relative relative measures between lights taken before this change compared to measures taken after this change is that much more suspect.

I should add I requested output numbers not to see how bright it is, but to see the output spacing between the 3 modes. As long as the 3 modes were tested in the same conditions I'm happy with that
    I'm Ryan.

Is there a big difference in beam pattern when comparing to the previous XP-G Warm Haiku ? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    Is there a big difference in beam pattern when comparing to the previous XP-G Warm Haiku ? Thanks.
    I don't have any of these on hand to compare.

super stoked about placing my order for one of these! really looking forward to it arriving….Thanks Don for the awesome service!

Flashaholic

Don,

Email order placed for a Haiku XP-G2 (1x123A).

Thanks.

Email sent

Andrew
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.

Flashaholic

Does anybody know what runtimes one should expect on high, with the XP-G2 (and the XM-L for comparison)?

Just in case anyone was wondering, the XPG2 is great in the Makai

It makes for a nice little thrower. I have the 2x123 set up.

Andrew
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.

If anyone has a Haiku XML and XPG2, I'd love to see some beamshot comparisons!
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast