Midsize Rechargeable 1300+ lumen thrower?

decooney

Newly Enlightened
I had to return my Eagletac SX25L2 Turbo BASE model after ordering confusion with my dealer. I'm actively waiting for a full KIT version to come into stock with a chance to re-select a different light if I choose to. I bet it's out here in front of my nose or I'm just not looking in the right places. I thought perhaps some of the much more experienced flashlight people on this forum might know of something else to consider instead.... :thumbsup:

Basic requirements:

• Direct port plug-in rechargeable type function with internal battery cell.
  • 10-12" length end-to-end / longer narrow preferred but open to ideas.
  • 1300+ lumens range, estimated. Anything higher is even better of course.
  • XM-L2 U2 type emitter I'm guessing but looking for recommendations.
  • dual 26650 or dual 18650 cells, hopefully come with the light / charger plug.
  • More throw than flood, prefer at least 570 meters beam distance; mild flood okay.
  • Side switch preferred UI, but tail-clicky is okay.
  • Higher in quality and reliability preferred.
  • $325-$350 price range max.
Anything else come to mind to the flashlight Guru's here ???

decooney

Newly Enlightened
Olight SR95S UT

Thrower for sure, but the 95 looks to be more like a larger heavyweight, than a midsize light:

• Dimensions: Length: 325mm, Head Diameter: 90mm, Body Diameter: 48.4mm
  • Weight: 1230.5g

by comparison, the 95 makes my SR96 look small. I'm probably looking for something closer to say a 10" length and 65mm head size and less weight in terms of "mid size". Thanks though, still looking. So far, I guess I'm stuck at the Eagletac SX25L2 Turbo or Jetbeam SSR50 if I cannot find anything else mid size rechargeable.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine bought a Nitecore MH40. He had trouble getting it to fully charge. Bought a separate charger and charges the cells out of the light. Gets double the runtime now.

Everything is rechargeable if you're not too lazy to unscrew a battery cap and put a couple of cells in a charger.

decooney

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine bought a Nitecore MH40. He had trouble getting it to fully charge. Bought a separate charger and charges the cells out of the light. Gets double the runtime now. Everything is rechargeable if you're not too lazy to unscrew a battery cap and put a couple of cells in a charger.

I have six lights now I charge using single and dual 18650s for, and two large O'Light SR lights with built in chargers, and was hoping I could find something as good as or better than the Eagletac SX25L2 in mid size rechargeable. Jetbeam also makes a cool SSR50 rechargeable too. I'll take a look at that Nitecore MH40 too, thanks! IF what Jash is saying is true that externally charging makes that much of a difference, I'll cave in and just buy another small thrower like the O'Light M3X XM L2 Triton and call it a day.

Is there any sort of test data that shows external vs. internally charing provides longer run time?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have six lights now I charge using single and dual 18650s for, and two large O'Light SR lights with built in chargers, and was hoping I could find something as good as or better than the Eagletac SX25L2 in mid size rechargeable. Jetbeam also makes a cool SSR50 rechargeable too. I'll take a look at that Nitecore MH40 too, thanks! IF what Jash is saying is true that externally charging makes that much of a difference, I'll cave in and just buy another small thrower like the O'Light M3X XM L2 Triton and call it a day.

Is there any sort of test data that shows external vs. internally charing provides longer run time?

I have nice chargers and don't really trust anything that's small enough to be stashed inside a light. I'm sure internal chargers work and are well suited to the novice, who doesn't want to fiddle with advanced charging methods, but it's just not for me.

I just passed on the JetBeam SRA40 for this very reason. How much am I paying for that option that I don't really need in the first place? My Maha C-9000 and LaCrosse BC-700 do better jobs charging up my NiMH cells.

Same with proprietary battery packs.

You can buy an excellent and safe Li-Ion charger--the Xtar WP2s for $30 shipped and two protected Panasonic 3400s for $20 shipped. So for $50, you can impart a quality charge to top shelf cells.

Don't forget the digital multi-meter, for checking things.

Chris

decooney

Newly Enlightened
Chris,
thanks for the explanation. Hmm, I've had great luck with my larger O'lights being internally charged, so I guess I never really thought about it before until starting to look at these smaller mid-size rechargeable lights.

Today for my externally charged 18650 lights, I use a pair of Nitecore I4 Intellichargers and Eagletac 3100mah batteries and a Titanium Innovation charger for my Tenergy 10,000mah batteries for my larger Fenix TK70. I've had no problems so far charging externally, it's easy to do, and I'll continue as really don't mind charging the batteries externally. If it won't hurt my lights, I would like to tray some of those Pani 3400s you mentioned. Thanks for the multimeter tip too, I have one and will start checking and comparing to see. Thanks!

decooney

Newly Enlightened
OFF TOPIC:
BTW, do any of you guys have first hand experience with the Thrunite Capapult V3 XM L2 light? (if I bought this instead of a rechargeable...)

I need to replace my mid size (narrow handle) Sunwayman T40CS U2 I gave to my good friend. This is how/why I started looking for a rechargeable light here. If I went with another external-charge 2x18650 light instead, I also sort of like the specs, look, and construction of the Catapult V3 U2 light as another option to consider along with the O'Light M3X. Most definitely looking for a stout mid-size 2x18650 series style light with dual purpose baton weapon-protection function vs. a delicate type light. In photos, that Catapult looks interesting, but I've never seen one in person.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
thanks for the explanation. Hmm, I've had great luck with my larger O'lights being internally charged, so I guess I never really thought about it before until starting to look at these smaller mid-size rechargeable lights.

Today for my externally charged 18650 lights, I use a pair of Nitecore I4 Intellichargers and Eagletac 3100mah batteries and a Titanium Innovation charger for my Tenergy 10,000mah batteries for my larger Fenix TK70. I've had no problems so far charging externally, it's easy to do, and I'll continue as really don't mind charging the batteries externally. If it won't hurt my lights, I would like to tray some of those Pani 3400s you mentioned. Thanks for the multimeter tip too, I have one and will start checking and comparing to see. Thanks!

If I owned a rechargeable light that used typical rechargeable batteries/cells (not a pack) I would run some tests to see if the light's charging algorithm is doing a proper job of charging things up. Especially any Li-Ion light. I would wait for the 'all charged' light to come on, remove the cells, measure their voltage and see what I saw.

Anything over 4.25v and you're in trouble. Anything under say 4.15v and you're not charging them up to their full capacity. On that JetBeam SRA40, I'd like to take some Eneloops and discharge them, then let the light charge them back up and see what the voltage was and then do another discharge and see what's actually in there, via the internal charger.

Maybe they all work perfectly, but that feature kind of spooked me because it has to add to the cost of the light, itself, right?

Anyhow, I've kind of become a battery nerd and frankly, these things (batteries/cells) aren't super expensive to replace, if they do get toasted prematurely. Not like crashing your truck, or car.

Chris

Darkwall

Newly Enlightened
Did you select a light yet? Have you considered the eagletac mx25l2 with the sst-90 non turbo? Not sure exactly what the reason you the sx for other than lack of a the kit..

Nickalo

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine bought a Nitecore MH40. He had trouble getting it to fully charge. Bought a separate charger and charges the cells out of the light. Gets double the runtime now.

Everything is rechargeable if you're not too lazy to unscrew a battery cap and put a couple of cells in a charger.

Jash,

Its my understanding that the MH40 has a timer built in for recharging. No matter if he batteries haven't yet been fully charged while in the flashlight, at 2-1/2 hours it slows down the charge and at 3 hours is stops, even if the batteries aren't fully charged. All you have to do is pull the charging cord out of the flashlight and reinsert it to reset for another 3 hours or less of charging. Then the batteries will be fully charged.

Nikalo