Fenix HP 30

Fig

Newly Enlightened
Anyone get their hands on this yet? I was wondering if you have to hold a button down for the burst, or if it is a mode just like the others. Looks nice that they finally came out with a 2X18650 batt config for this lamp.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I was wondering if you have to hold a button down for the burst, or if it is a mode just like the others.

From the user manual: "Press and hold the button with a thunderbolt icon to access Burst mode. The light will return to previous mode and output level when the button is released."

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why doesn't fenixtactical have these. I do see them online at a competitor, assuming they aren't lying about having them in stock.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I need to buy one to see how they compare at the 12 hour setting with the 9.5 hour setting of the hp11? I keep coming back to check. I guess I need to mud shark it to other forums, or worse, youtube?

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
I got one incoming tomorrow. Sadly I dont own a HP11.
So with that in mind, is there anything you would like me to check?
btw grats on 1k posts!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there anything you would like me to check?
btw grats on 1k posts!

Color rendering (esp. v. xpg). I am interested in hotspot and corona lux at 1 meter for each setting. Current, esp. at 4 hour setting (to see if we can go higher than 4 hour. And maybe diameter of hotspot at 1 meter. I am guessing the corona is a wide 100 degrees or so. Naturally, comfort and how short the cord was made.

Runtimes below 4 hours bore me, as I try never to use them. Ex. My worker ignorantly threw the HP11 into the 2.5 hour mode and couldn't finish his work day with the only headlamp on job besides a bt20, which he would never be able to wear, due to its bulk and short cord.

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
Color rendering (esp. v. xpg). I am interested in hotspot and corona lux at 1 meter for each setting. Current, esp. at 4 hour setting (to see if we can go higher than 4 hour. And maybe diameter of hotspot at 1 meter. I am guessing the corona is a wide 100 degrees or so. Naturally, comfort and how short the cord was made.

Runtimes below 4 hours bore me, as I try never to use them. Ex. My worker ignorantly threw the HP11 into the 2.5 hour mode and couldn't finish his work day with the only headlamp on job besides a bt20, which he would never be able to wear, due to its bulk and short cord.

Ok bear with me, I'm not much of a light veteran. You lost me with xpg.

I can make some pictures of the beams at different settings at 1 meter for sure, but that will take a few days.

I can do an endurance run as well, mind you that I use 3400mAh 18650.

Luckily I do have a BT20 so I can compare the cord-lenghts. Maybe this light can help you explain the color rendering a bit more, for what you're after. For refence I also have Fenix TK41, LD20 and LD22, Olight M30, Nitecore SRT5 and EagleTac D25C clicky.

As for cord lenght... how tall is this guy? The BT20 with extention runs around 1.40 meter unless he's really tall that should work no? Anyway mailman just came by and here are some first impressions.
The cord is slightly longer running for about 1.50 (not counting the light seld or the battery package, so just the "string") So that makes about 10-15 cm difference in lenght. I should say that if the BT20 doesnt work then the HP30 won't either... (seriously, how tall is he?)

The battery holder appears slightly bigger, I assume this is to make room for the USB-charge function. It comes with a metallic holder that provides a clip / belt-clip. I'm currently charging the batteries so light impressions will follow. Same as weight and assembly etc.

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened
Having constructed the cable and headband etc I've come to the conclusion that maybe 1.40 m is a bit on the shorter side if you wear helmets and everything. I obviously totally forgot about the lenght needed to go to the rear of the head and then going down. Anyway I'm around 6 foot tall (1.83m) and for me the 1.5m cable constructed is long enough to allow for the battery pack to go into a pocket. That's a bit lower than where a belt would normally be.

As for endurance:
I'm doing a HP30 runtime on 2x18650 at the moment at the 500lm mode.

After 4h30 min the lamp scaled down 1 step. Then at around 5 hours in the light stepped to the lowest (4lm) setting. I didn't get the exact time where it went to and from the intermediate setting.

At the moment it's still going, but from time to time a slight flicker occurs. I'm using 3400mAh batteries.

I suspect the light is stronger than 4lm at this eco mode, still "hurts" the eyes a bit if you look into it, definately not a moonlight setting. At this point it's no longer possible to change to other modes BUT the burst (900lm) is still responding.

My times are a general indication since I toyed a bit with the different settings (it's a new lamp after all) before I tried the endurance mode, it's safe to say you can maybe get a few more minutes out of the light.
All in all you should have no problem hitting the 4h mark with 3400mAh 18650 on the high setting, wether you get 5h is questionable. It's nice to see the light continues to work and doesnt go flat down right away. There's no scaling down from heat issues, the light gets warm / hot but not to an uncomfortable level. The diffuser can stay on all the time without getting damage from the heat. I wasn't foolish enough to try tough the really hot bits of the light but on the head you should have no problems with it.

John Pombrio

Newly Enlightened
I too have one coming in soon. Will update when I have my hands on it. I am also going to be trying out the new Fenix 18650B Pany protected 3400 mAH batteries at the same time. I found a coupon code APP10 that got me 10% off of everything at the Fenix-store site plus free shipping and free taxes. good deal! Way too much headlamp for what I do these days but DANG, that is crazy light from a headlamp!

fiffi123

Newly Enlightened
Hello rockhopper! Hello candlepowerforums!
Thanks for the first informations about the HP30! Sounds good!
I am in doubt about buying the flashlight.
There is one more question open for me before i buy them: does the battery housing also fit protected 18650 batteries?

Thanks in advance!

regulation

Newly Enlightened
There is one more question open for me before i buy them: does the battery housing also fit protected 18650 batteries?

Thanks in advance!

The Fenix 3400mAh battery is also the protected one.

rockhopper

Newly Enlightened

Thanks in advance!
I don't own the Fenix brand protected 18650 but my (local shop house brand) is derived from protected panasonic 18650 and are protected. Both flat top and button top work (button top being the 18650 3400mAh from EagleTac also protected)
The battery compartment (box) is for the bottom half the same as the bike-light BT20 but the top half is different (since it also houses the usb-charger) It has spring/coils at both end to conduct the current from the batteries. So it's likely that all size/shaped 18650's will fit snugly.

John Pombrio

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix 3400mAh battery is also the protected one.

I bought 3 of the Fenix 18650B 3400mAH protected batteries and the Fenix charger. Unfortunately, I had to return them due to either a bad battery or the charger. I called Fenix and we did some troubleshooting but the battery would not get above 3.623 volts and quickly the charger would not light up when the battery was placed in it. For batteries at $20 a pop, not such good news. I was also greatly disappointed to find out that the batteries were made in China and had no specs either on the Fenix site or with the packaging. I bought Orbtronic batteries which DID have the specs, had Pany cells in them and were also protected and are made in Japan AND cost less than the Fenix batteries, even with the discount.
The 2600mAH Fenix batteries were tested and were rated well for their class and the new Fenix batteries probably are fine but the combo of a busted battery and the lack of a review or specs jittered me as this was my first purchase of a 18650 type battery (or flashlight).

Just tried the coupon code APP10 at Fenix-Store without signing in and it worked fine. Make sure to capitalize the letters and that there are no spaces.

Last edited:

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks John, My mistake.... the coupon code does work. Now All I need is for the HP-30 to arrive at Fenix and were all set.
The Orbtronics is a great battery at a great price I bought two 18650's 3400ma for $17.55 Ea. including shipping and got them in 2 days.

Can't wait till Fenix gets the light in I was told yesterday that the arrival date had been pushed back.

docdb

Newly Enlightened
I was initially disappointed that the USB charging function didn't work as advertised, but then I pressed and held the battery test button, and presto, iPhone began charging.
Don (long time lurker)