Fenixlight HP05 review (350 lm, XP-G(R5) + Nichia RED, 3xAA)

viperxp

Enlightened
Hello,

Finally the HP05 that I have won in the Fenixlight Global Testing Campaign arrived, so ....

tech. specs

iJ2rWbvVpwRqa.jpg

Packaging, kit

iSwYJNJFO6YRg.png
iFfcqYmW8MCts.png
ibucsfyQNtxlRE.png

i3SdaYla6z6rB.png
ibaBFapOtjlYA4.png
iQQTDXPgaaQSC.png

The flashlight arrived in a simple carton box with minimal bundled extras. The box included the flashlight, user manual that was printed on A4 size papers and Fenix key-chain :) . I think that the retail packaging will be different and will include additional headband.

"This is it"

ifOuKoDhn8hu7.png
ibtQRGScAmmxmt.png
i4vvxk5ahQu2r.png
ivChgM61wb4a6.png

The flashlight is mostly made of plastic, but also has aluminium chassis. The headlight itself is very light, but the battery pack is massive to the point that you can think it belongs to another flashlight. The battery pack has a massive clip that holds the batteries in place. The build quality is excellent.

iBtfc5BBBXiqs.png
ibx9U7ZPkUSOZJ.png
icPBNlaTw3AIT.png

The headband is wide and soft, looks and feels like a high quality product. The flashlight itself does not feel heavy, but you definately feel the battery pack on your hind head. A powerful move of the head will move the battery pack from it's place for sure.

ieAaONG7LTVcN.png
ibzkDbggB1TXdW.png
iLRGiIdf0y53f.png
ib1KfbeZCN50Ij.png
iovJeqkodJYeZ.png
i7KoilPsefvmX.png
iZ1dnPTGFiHUm.png

It's really easy to load the batteries. The contacts are gold plated and look really great. It's impossible to load the battery cassette improperly. The plastic is somewhat translucent - have a good look at the pictures.

iKcEes38JZYQt.png
iFkh8u3QoSrvY.png
iJLeIYsN46gOx.png

I marked the aluminum parts of the flashlight. The bezel can be easily unscrewed and made of aluminum. The lens has a coating that can be easily seen. No fingerprints or dust was found under the lens, as expected.
The flashlight is pretty easy to control, it has two buttons - one per LED. Power button turns the flashlight on (he flashlight has mode memory) and changes brightness levels from turbo-low-mid-high-..... The change from turbo to low is not instant, it takes about 0.25 sec . The second button when short pressed turns the red LED on and off, and if pressed for more then 3 second turns the SOS mode on, regardless of the flashlight mode.
The red LED can be turned on and off independently of the white LED.

iXYnOc1v8QWVU.png

What about some competition?

ibsGGNFi16hSee.png
iQLfx1jLfh9iK.png

ijDDeT2HE43TR.png
ibua5Iuv47zk95.png

Well, the Olight H15S is much lighter, in fact the battery pack of the HP05 weighs more then the whole H15S. Because of the weigh, and additional headband Olight sits much more comfortable on the head.

ibkh9mQoQ0Ojwn.png
ibtRUBjwFiNp07.png

iN136ocRNBUJj.png
ibaEWFjaf6HcNG.png

Battery pack of the Olight is much more compact - it can accommodate AAA batteries, not AA like Fenix so it's very clear which flashlight has more power and runtime.
The Fenix flashlight has wider headbands, but they don't have the silicone/resin inside that Olight has and will slide if used on a helmet.

ibk2ZFTRAFBpMr.png

Max mode, Olight on the left, Fenix on the right

ijj8APRYKEj1o.png

Min mode, Olight on the left, Fenix on the right

iUsQGJ1C7XsHT.png

Red LED

The Fenix is brighter and more focused. The hotspot is much more defined, has sharper edges but it has less side spill, and it is not as bright as Olight has. Also the spill starts further from you.

Some Numbers

Flashlight/ModeLowMidHighTurbo
Olight H15S - Diffuser opened805101560
Olight H15S - Diffuser closed24150440
Fenix HP053054016403650
Fenix HP05 - RED2

please remember that both flashlights have step down feature - in case of Fenix HP05 it steps down from TURBO to High after 10 minutes.

PWM

No PWM detected on any mode, and the flashlight is silent too.

Conclusion

The build quality is great, and so is the beam - hardly any tint can be detected. Personally I would like to see the flashlight equipped with diffuser and over-the head band.

---------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading, I would like to hear your comments and suggestions

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the keyring for? A tool for the light or just something to open up your beer?

How loose (or tight) is the battery cartridge? Something that might have trouble closing should it get a bit gritty?

viperxp

Enlightened
The Keyring is just a present from Fenix I guess..The battery cartridge closing and opening is effortless. It is not difficult to close and open it, but it will not open by itself.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Are the weights you show with batteries? Fenix posts "161-gram weight (excluding batteries)".

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered HP05 last week. I like it. But the step down feature from turbo mode to high mode kicks in at less than 5 minutes with my sample.

By the way: I don't see any reason that this light does not use the same LED and head as HP30. It should provide better heat dissipation and runtime. The battery pack is heavier than the head so the balance would be better as well.

Last edited: