Suggestions Putting Together A Floody Bicycle Light...

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
OK.... I was looking at dedicated bike lights and that's more than I want to spend, I want these for my sons while riding home at dusk. We live in a well lit suburb
on the edge of our city so there's traffic and plenty of streetlights.. They don't really ride when it's dark out...unless they want trouble when they get home. Lol...

This is where I am... I've ordered two, TWOFISH Lockblocks Bicycle Flashlight Holders that get good reviews. I've also ordered a couple Solarforce L2x (18650) hosts, four I believe.. :)

Anyway...what drop in do you guys think I'll need for a nice amount of flood with decent lumens ? I was thinking a three mode drop in with memory.

I don't want to spend a lot of money so please don't suggest a Malkoff... ha..

What do you guys think ?? I honestly haven grasped the whole P60 drop in thing with different voltages and such...still reading. Doh....

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I dropped a NailBender / Customlights 3-mode HiCRI Neutral 219 into an L2P and have been using it as my bike light in similar conditions for over a year. I usually only turn it to medium. It's often washed out by streelamps, but as long as there's enough light to see, that doesn't bother me - I want to see in the dark, and to always be seen.

I tried a Malkoff M61W in a 6P and didn't like the beam or tint as much, for a bike situation, as the NailBender.

If I want a little brighter and a little floodier, one of David's 3-way neutral XML-s does the trick. They're so bright I never run 'em on high.
I also have an EDC+ Triple 219 P60 drop-in. The price is probably more than you're looking to spend (I can't see that they're available right now.) It's a 3 mode, and High is plenty - but it's a little floodier than I like for a bike light.

Good luck!

Catul

Newly Enlightened
I've read good things about the "ALXM2" drop-in from Intl-Outdoor.com, especially considering its <$17 price, and am still waiting for mine (their shipping is slow). I'd recommend you try that if the budget is a concern, more so since you look like you may need four of them :)

Last edited:

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
If ur in a we'll lit area and only run on medium, but of u want to get out into unlit areas, such as a country lane or offrpad or even just a dark carpark, which is likely your kid could be riding through make sue to cheack out steps downs, as with units made just for bikeing they have no step down but all these small 18650 torchs do nornsly step down, and this cuased me a headack, so if they may need prolonged turbo or high mode make sure it dose not step down.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
The newest Solarforce XM-L U2 dropins with textured reflector are pretty floody. Output is not bad but they are not run so hard as to get hot with extended use.

2.7 - 9V means you can run them with one 18650, two RCR123's or two 18650's with an extender.

$17 each.