A few questions regarding 42" T5 Fluorescent bulbs

stouf761

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

So I'm in college living in an on-campus apartment, and whenever my roommates and I have people over for... completely sober gatherings, we typically just turn the living room lights off so that it isn't too bright but leave the kitchen light on so that the room is at least visible. The living room light is just a simple two bulb fluorescent light that uses two 42" T5 bulbs. So I was wondering, and after a little bit of searching I came up with nothing, does any manufacturer make either blacklights at that size or even simply colored lights (I know at lowes I've seen colored assortments of CFLs, so something similar)? I'd love to swap those out for the evenings to give a little bit more of a cheery atmosphere.. If not I'll probably just order some stage lighting gels for inside the light casing but having the bulbs would just look a lot better in my opinion. Also, I'm obviously in the budget range of an average college student so I'm not looking for anything too uniquely expensive.

Thanks!

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Sober eh? Take some of you weed allowance and just go buy a black light. They're available in 4' T8...never seen them in T5. When ya get back to your room, start a Cheech and Chong routine and you're all set :)

Last edited:

stouf761

Newly Enlightened
Ah no, we aren't some colorado school haha. Just a few games of kool aid pong and loud music.

I'm just trying to make use of existing light fixtures, no interest in buying a whole new lamp. I could just swap my desk lamp bulb out and be good to go if I wanted to do that.
I may just pick up two stage gel sleeves or something.

Qship1996

Enlightened
{way}back when I was in college,we strung clear mini christmas lights around the rooms ceiling perimeter plugged into a dimmer switch.

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
{way}back when I was in college,we strung clear mini christmas lights around the rooms ceiling perimeter plugged into a dimmer switch.

I had the same thing only with c9 bulbs all blue. Two black light incans in the ceiling light and a 2 lamp 24" t12 black light. Even when I had the christmas lights dimmed down it got hot enough in the room that I ran the ac in the winter.

The best part about black lights if you haven't already figured out is writing thing with tide on the walls. There were other things that got put on the wall with tide involving the fairer sex.

I duno why you would want to swap the lights out. It isn't a college apartment if it inst oddly lit and full of out of place stuff.

Latest posts