So, how many INCAN bulbs do you guys have stored up?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to be that ones containing halogen that are made in the United States are exempted. So that would be all Surefire bulbs made and continuing to be made in the USA. But I suffer from the same deficiency that the people who voted for it do, I haven't read the legislation. So I have no idea.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as home lighting we've been using those compact fluorescents for a while now so this won't effect the family to any degree.

As far as how many flashlight bulbs I have stored up. Well.. never enough. I'm always on the lookout for more because most of the lights i've got use older Welch Allyn bulbs that aren't made anymore. So I score replacements whenever I have the opportunity.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound shows the P90s to be out of stock, and I didn't even see the P60s anymore.

I've got 2 P90s, and 4 P60 lamps among the few SureFire lights I have. I hardly ever use them but still it'll be a little disturbing if the incan supply completely dries up!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I wonder if the INCAN ban will affect INCAN bulbs for flashlights?

According to my calculations, at least two lifetimes worth of 60 75, 100, 150 W household bulbs. Regarding flashlights, at least 5 lifetimes in most sizes if I were to use them every day. Of course, these are only rough calculations.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a lot honestly. For flashlights, mainly some Maglite bulbs and a Cabela's drop-in bulb (P60 knockoff). For home lighting, practically none. I live in California. I'm just glad we didn't have to deal with the plug-in fixtures when our home was built. We do have a decent supply of screw-in florescents and a few spare l.e.d. bulbs. Most of our lights are screw in l.e.d. bulbs now. None are hardwired in and none will be (other than a couple l.e.d. motion activated security lights). We want the ability to upgrade cheap and quickly without huge expenses. We filled the ceiling cans with l.e.d. bulbs when they were subsidized at $10 each. My brother and I bought l.e.d. bulbs for our rooms. He got a few 6 watt Nichia bulbs and I got a Philips L-Prize bulb. Living room has one Cree 9 watt 800 lumen bulb. Bathrooms have 8 watt Feit l.e.d. bulbs (under $5 each). The rest of the house runs on florescent. If that isn't good enough for California, tough.

Since incandescents are now banned, I'd expect a phase-out of florescents to be next.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three MN02's
Five P60's
Two P90's
Two MN20's
Two MN10's

I don't think the ban will affect flashlight manufacturers. I know I don't have a very big "stash", but honestly I use incans so little they will probably last me a very long time. Most of my lights are LED, so if/when I can't get incans anymore, I'll just buy some warm Malkoffs to replace them, I suppose...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I too don't think they are worried about flashlight bulbs as you can see in the stores the amount of incan flashlights for sale has dropped to less than a fraction of the LED offerings with cheap LED lights I suspect incans are more disposable light now such that the bulbs are unneeded for replacement people toss the light when they go out and buy a better LED version for a dollar more or so than they paid for the incan light and it will never have burnt out bulb issues.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not enough.

Some extra ROP bulbs(2 sets), a few 1185s, a few P60s, stock Mag bulbs, and I'm trying to find more 5 cell 'numstar bulbs because they run great in a 2C with 2x 18650s.

I should probably get a few extra MN03s too....

Frijid

Enlightened
probably about 60-70. I bought most of em at the dollar tree. 3 for a dollar. I a dollar tree bulb that's been in a light fixture for going on about 2 years now. I plan on getting some more next month is they still have some. I've only been able to find 60's. I've been looking for 40's because my lights in my bedroom says not to use anything about 40 watts. I guess it has to do with the globe around it getting hot, so i'll probably just take the globe off and leave the bulb exposed to let the heat escape. The dollar tree here had some CFLs. 4 for a dollar. I can't fully recall the name of them. green something or other, i can't really recall, as i didn't pay much attention to them. which makes me thing, if 4 for a dollar, that's 25 cents a piece. So that means to make a profit, the bulbs actually cost less than a quarter a piece. More like say 10 cents a piece to produce in china. I don't have any intention of using CFLs, and if LED bulbs don't come down to a more reasonable price (just looked at a one here, it was 30 dollars for just ONE bulb) so if LED's don't come down, i'll just sit in the dark with candles or i'll use a flashlight for lighting. I probably should go ahead then and buy some more bulbs just in case they are gone next month.....

Frijid

Enlightened
Since incandescents are now banned, I'd expect a phase-out of florescents to be next.

which is one thing i can't understand about CFLs, they are quoted as being more "environmentally friendly", it's a well known fact that CFLs contain mercury. If they are recycled,then fair game. however, those who don't recycle, and just throw them out, when they get broken in a land fill, they will release said mercury. Now, if i recall, mercury was so bad, that energizer brags on their containers about making a mercury free battery since around the 90's. Does an incandescent leak anything when broken?

broadgage

Enlightened
Thousands ! yes really.
Presumably we are talking about flashlight bulbs rather than household types ?
I have at least a hundred of each of many types, especialy the older types many of which are now hard to find.
Lower current bulbs such as 0.15 amp in both PR and screwbases are now hard to find
I suspect that 5.5 volt 0.3 amp are no longer made, at least by a well known company, glad I stocked up on those 30 ? years ago.

The writing is on the wall for incandescent lamps generally, I predict that within 10 years that incandescent lamps will have gone the way of carbon arc lights, gas lights, and oil lamps, all of which are still used today but are not exactly mainstream.

In the household or other lamp types, I have large stocks, especialy of the less common types.

The production or import of some types is already restricted, and in other cases production will probably cease for lack of demand, without any ban.
In years to come I can forsee huge problems in keeping vintage machines and vehicles in running order because lamps cant be obtained.

dinokay

Enlightened
My only regret is I didn't stock up on my favorite 1111 & 1185 bulbs, always thinking tomorrow and tomorrow. Nothing beats the old incandescent bulbs for warm luminescence in my book.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, FM. Those prices though! :sick2: I'm gonna' try a couple other avenues first.

More in keeping with this thread, thanks to FM, I now have four more bulbs as of today. :devil:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I don't think the ban will affect flashlight manufacturers. I know I don't have a very big "stash", but honestly I use incans so little they will probably last me a very long time. Most of my lights are LED, so if/when I can't get incans anymore, I'll just buy some warm Malkoffs to replace them, I suppose...

The law targets various mains-voltage "general service" lamps sized to fit household Edison sockets and will likely not be funded for enforcement this year.

The law of supply-and-demand seems to be affecting the supply of various flashlight bulbs. I'd look at how much shelf space that hosts for specific form-factors are demanding at their respective major retailers to try to gauge the future availability of specific bulbs. IE, With Mag-Lite, Ray-O-Vac, and other lesser manufacturers seemingly moving away from the PR base or losing shelf space, expect those to become scarcer in the future.

Latest posts