Sunwayman V25C review - 780 Lumens 360° Fully Variable Magnetic Control Flashlight

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

V25C Sunwayman review
780 Lumens 360° Fully Variable Magnetic Control Flashlight

(photo heavy)
v25c2.jpg

The V25C is Sunwayman latest Variable Magnetic ring control, 18650/16340/CRA123A driven flashlight.
The look and shape is similar to the V20C but with a totally new Variable Magnetic System which has a full 360 degree rotation.
What's in the box
The box is a highly illustrated glossy cardboard box without window. The box shows data , photos and has product information panels.
Inside is a plastic insert with
the V25C, a small plastic bag containing a spare rubber cap, two O rings and a small wrist lanyard,
also in the box is included a warranty card, a small leaflet showing latest releases and the user manual in English and Chinese

v25c14.jpg
v25c13.jpg

v25c2.jpg

Initial overview and feel
Due to the similarity of the two flashlights I think reviewer may find difficult not to draw some comparison with the V20C, but not owning one, I will treat the V25C as a totally new flashlight.​
The V25C for me has an elegant but conventional shape found on single 18650 type flashlight but it still retain a distinctive look from its head and body.​
The light is fairly compact with an overall length of 134.5mm and an head diameter of 25.5mm.
The V25Ccome in Type III- hard anodized satin mat black finish which is properly matched on head, body and tail
No flaws were found on my sample.

v25c1.jpg

The round body has two flats and four small groves helping with the grip of a fairly smooth body.
Usual logos, name, etc are very sharp.
The threads are the trapezoidal for the head and square for the tail.

v25c15.jpg
v25c16.jpg

The head has five cooling grooves as well as six flat section which are more of a design feature than an antiroll feature.
A lanyard will have to be attached to stop it rolling off non perfectly horizontal surfaces.

IMG_4137.JPG

v25c4.jpg

To protect the head, a stainless steel flat bezel is fitted. This does not fit flush with the head but I believe this is a design feature as my D20A also had a bezel slightly protruding, see photo.
The bezel do not have any internal groves to facilitate and eventual removal.
The reflector is an orange peel type

IMG_4132.JPG

The tailcap has a two scallops to provide easy access to the switch but still allowing the V25C to tail stand.
Two round holes are provided to fit a lanyard.
The tail switch is the forward clicky type allowing you to have the light on momentary.

v25c10.jpg

v25c5.jpg
v25c6.jpg

The tail cap apart from the magnetic ring is the only other place where knuckling is encountered.
I have medium size hand and the fit was good and comfortable.
I used my thumb and index to rotate the ring and the rotation is smooth but do give enough friction for a positive feed back.
I would not think the ring would move on its own once in a pocket or a bag, certainly did not happen for me during the testing.​
No problem was encountered fitting my various batteries, even my "intel.outdoor/Panasonic" 3100 flat top fitted with a little room to spare (see photo),
so I am pretty sure that 3400mAh will also fit.
Due to the dual spring set up, no rattle was heard while shaking the flashlight.

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

I have placed the V25C next to other common flashlights for you to get an idea of its size.

v25c11.jpg

Sunwayman V10R Ti, V11R with extender, V25C, Solarforce L2P, Nitecore EA4

Manufacturer Data
● CREE XM-L2 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;​
● 360° fully-variable output control system, slightly twist the rotator ring for Standby, and output ranged from 0.1 to 780 lumens:​
High: 780 Lumens (1hrs.)​
Mid: 0.1 Lumen (200hrs.)​
● Constant current circuit, constant output​
● Effective range of 112 meters​
● Intensity: 3140cd​
● Uses 1*18650/2*CR123A/2*16340 batteries​
● Working voltage: 2.8~8.4V​
● High quality metal reflector, maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern​
● Dimensions: 32mm x 25.5mm x 134.5mm​
● Weight: 116g(battery excluded)​
● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy body, Stainless Steel retaining ring on the top​
● Military Specification Type III- hard anodized body​
● Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard​
● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts​
● Accessories: Lanyard, O-ring, rubber cap​

Settings
I have a V11R and a V10R Ti and I am a fan of the Sunwayman magnetic rings, so, I liked the idea of the 360 degree ring straight away.​
The 360 rotation ring is a real pleasure, the operation is very smooth but does offer enough resistance to give a positive feel, the ring can be turned with one or two fingers for an easy continuous rotation.
The ramping is very progressive and very close to a full 360 turn as there is a small "off section" build into the rotation.​
Unfortunately, there is no marking on the variable ring or body. So from the "clicky" off position prior to turning the V25C on, you will have no idea of what brightness setting the light is on,
apart from trying to remember what setting it was, when you last turn it off! Not ideal! I certainly would have liked some sort of marking showing the 0 position and I will make my own one.
On the plus side the 360 degree ring is great as while in high, it allows you to get to the low or off in less than 1/8 of a turn and of course vice versa while you are into low mode.
So I can see the idea behind the 360 degree ring, much finer adjustment on all outputs and quick rotational on or off from the extreme positions via the control ring.

Home test
The V25C was tested on my home made light sphere and a cooling fan was used between the readings. (please note they will be a small margin of error for the readings as the V25C was removed and reposition for the various readings)
The test/monitoring was started 2mn after initial turn on, this is in line with ANSI method of testing flashlights.​
Tested with a 2 years old AW 2900mAh
Here are a brake down of the initial first 5mn,​
0-576000 lux
1-506000
2-498000
3-498000
4-498000
5-498000​
AW2900TABLE.jpg

TIMELUX%
2MN/0498000100.00%FAN
5498000100.00%FAN
10498000100.00%FAN
1549200098.80%FAN
2048200096.79%FAN
2546500093.37%FAN
3044800089.96%FAN
3542600085.54%FAN
4041600083.53%FAN
4533500067.27%FAN
5032700065.66%FAN
5531600063.45%FAN
6030800061.85%NO FAN
6529500059.24%NO FAN
7028500057.23%NO FAN
7527000054.22%NO FAN
8025000050.20%NO FAN
8521600043.37%NO FAN
9016700033.53%NO FAN
959200018.47%NO FAN
100150003.01%NO FAN

So to recap from 100% to 50% ouput in 80mn and after 100mn you are still getting 15000 lux,
so by lowering the output you still will have plenty of light for a long time.

Indoor and outdoor beam shots

My closest flashlights to make a beam comparison with are two Solarforce L2/L2P,

first one with a Solarforce (purple) XM-L T6
data: Solarforce 3.7v XM-L T6 Cree 820 Lumens​
and the second one with Intl-outdoor "ALXM"
data: XM-L P60 Drop-in module "ALXM"
Led Tint - Cool White - U3 1C (1000 emitter lumens)
Modes - 3 Modes: High (100%) - Medium (30%) - Low (5%)​
Wall beam shot
V25C * ALXM * XM-L T6​

BEAM.JPG

gardenday.jpg

For those who have followed some of my reviews, you will note the two missing garden fences that we lost during a gale just before Christmas,
this has increase the size of my garden considerably!
The Corner of my garden (41ft) can still be seen in the photos below, this is at the light grey post between the brown and the grey fence panel.

XM-L.JPG

XM-L2.JPG

V25C%20H.JPG

TREE%20XL-L.JPG

TREE%20XM-L%20L2.JPG

TREE%20XM%20V25C.JPG

V25C STILL REACH FAR BUT GIVE A BROADER BEAM

TEST3%20XM-L.jpg

TEST3%20ALXM.jpg

TEST3%20V25C.jpg

As you can see from all the above shots, the V25C has a wider beam and outperform my other two XM-L flashlight.

Photos of different V25C settings

What I did, once the ring was positioned at 0 degree, ie off, I marked the centre of one of the flats, then photos were taken with the marker in the centre of the next flat and then again.
The F1 position is only a few Lumens, which did not show outsidere, the last photo was taken past number 5 flat but just before the light turning off.
Description of "V25C F1" this stand for my marker being on the next flat from the off position, ie on flat 1

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg
F5.jpg

F5MAX.jpg

For/Against
Please note, the For/Against is down to personal preferences and for some, my FOR could be AGAINST and vice versa
For: Great output, attractive look, low profile, reverse battery protection circuit, tail stand, real extra low mode available and of course, very precise adjustment of output via the 360 ring leaving you in total control of the amount of light your require to carry that specific job.
Against: No "off" or "degree" markings on the magnetic ring, no build in antiroll design apart from fitting a lanyard

As you can see from the photos, the V25C has enough throw and spill to make it an ideal candidate for any outdoor activities.
The 360 ring also make it the right light for jobs around the house as the flashlight can be accurately adjusted to much lower levels often required in confined areas.

The V25C was kindly supplied by Sunwayman for review.

Skyraider59

Jetbeam ST CYCLER, III ST PRO BVC , BK135A; Nitecore D10, EZ-AA; EA4, Solarforce M6, L2, L2P, L2R, L2M, L2i; Zebralight H50, H60, Sunwayman, V11R, V10R Ti, D20A

Last edited:

bgm307

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I've had my V25C for a couple of days. I like it. I have a V11r too. I agree that there needs to be some sort of marking on the wheel and the body so you know where you are. I'm using tape temporarily to mark the maximum output but once I see that it works I'll use some type of paint.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and a pretty cool design with that ring. I agree that there should be some sort of marking or an actual click at the lowest and highest settings. I am not personally a fan of these types of tailcap but I know some prefer them. Personally, I like to have either a tailcap that is completely surrounded and designed for tailstanding or one that completely protrudes with nothing to interfere with touching the switch. Many companies design the tailcap like this where it is supposed to do both but then it doesn't excel at either goal. :) Anyway, thanks for the great review!

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
I like my V25 Having owned it now for a few days I'm still trying to get used to the ring.... I never know if it's on or off or somewhere in the middle.

My thinking now is to shut the light off with it being on the highest output and then turn it on. I then just have to remember to go clockwise or counterclockwise as one way will shut off the light the other way starts to dim it down.
If anyone knows of where I can buy a good leather holster for this light I could use one. I believe the 20C will fit it.
I contacted Sunwayman and they are shipping me one from China for $10 it could take awhile...

I still like this light, but wish it was more like my V11R.
Would anyone know if this light can take IMR unprotected batteries ? Will the light shut off when battery voltage goes to about 2.5 volts ?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
great review, man, really good job! this is the first V25C review I've seen and I like your style.

here's a thought of what SWM could do: no matter where the ring is on its rotation, whenever you turn the light on, it comes on to moonlight/lowest.

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
There's a problem with that, if your on moonlight setting and turn the ring the wrong way
you'll go from moonlight to full brightness with a touch of the ring. It's really annoying.

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering the V20C-Y then I saw this with nearly twice the rated lumens. I'm wondering how much brighter it really is. I'd love to see a comparison between these (v20c/v25c) Also wondering if and when a NW version will become available, one members description of the tint being yellowish purple unfortunately does not appeal to me.

Can someone who owns this advise if a pocket clip could be fitted, for instance a Solarforce clip? Or could someone provide a measurement of the body/threads at the tail.

Joel

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering the V20C-Y then I saw this with nearly twice the rated lumens. I'm wondering how much brighter it really is. I'd love to see a comparison between these (v20c/v25c) Also wondering if and when a NW version will become available, one members description of the tint being yellowish purple unfortunately does not appeal to me.

Can someone who owns this advise if a pocket clip could be fitted, for instance a Solarforce clip? Or could someone provide a measurement of the body/threads at the tail.

Joel

Hi
do not own a V20C, so can not make a comparison, but my V25C has not got a purple tint , I have taken a quick photo, all I can say is when on the medium settings on a white wall, mine has a white hot spot with a warmer ring (yellowish) around and back to white spill, I can not say I have noticed it in real use (5 days). The beam look very white specially on high!
I will have to take a white wall beam shot.
skyraider59
V25CW.jpg

Here is the photo I have taken

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Joel
VOILA!
V25CCLIP1.jpg

on the V25C the gab between the head and the body is thicker that the Solarforce clip, so you will have to fit an o ring to make sure the clip do not rattle, but the OD is spot on.
V25CCLIP2.jpg

instant anti roll system with the Solarforce ring still keeping the lot low profile, also an O ring will be required

V25CCLIP3.jpg

the brown arrow is a piece of brown tape that I applied temporary during the various output test see review F1,F2,F3 etc
Skyraider59

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
There's a problem with that, if your on moonlight setting and turn the ring the wrong way
you'll go from moonlight to full brightness with a touch of the ring. It's really annoying.

The fact that you can get from very low to very high with a single short spin of the wheel for some user could be a plus, but you really need a kind of visual warning to make you aware. I like the idea but dislike the fact that I don't know when this will happen.
When I get the time I will make some permanent marks on the head and ring so that I know where I am. I am thinking of using a small drill and doing some very tiny holes which I will fill up with a drop of glow in the dark paint. That's the plan! Skyraider59

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
Skyraider, thanks very much for starting this thread with your great review and photos, I especially like that photo comparing it's size to the other lights like the solarforce.

And much thanks again for all of your replies about the tint, and clip. This is great news! I with you on the anti-roll, one of the reasons I wanted a clip on it.

I guess the only thing holding me back now is the ring control not having any detent to feel where it ends/starts. But I'm starting to like it more now thanks to your last few posts.

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
More than happy to help. I do like my L2P, but I must say that having facility to adjust your beam to what ever output required, is a great plus for me. The 360 ring is so smooth and so precise in the ouput adjustment that it is a real pleasure to use. I just like you, I wish they had fitted a some sort of markings, can not see the reason behind!
After you asking about the clips, I have left the solarforce ring on it and added a small glow in the dark o ring to make up for the depth difference, and this work a treat for me and this compliment the bezel. When holding the V25C in a cigar grip, my index finger rest on the loop of the clip helping with the overall hold.
Also, I prefer this type of lanyard attachment as lanyard fitted to the holes in the tail cap always seems to get in the way when you want to tale stand the flashlight.
<<I guess the only thing holding me back now is the ring control not having any detent to feel where it ends/starts. But I'm starting to like it more now thanks to your last few posts.>>
I have not been brave enough yet to get my drill bits out and drill two very small holes on the head and ring to mark the off position , so that i can see them or even feel them in the dark then it is just a matter of rotating left or right from to get high or low.

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
I will make some permanent marks on the head and ring so that I know where I am. I am thinking of using a small drill and doing some very tiny holes which I will fill up with a drop of glow in the dark paint. That's the plan! Skyraider59

Great idea to drill the holes for the glo paint!

I'd also like to have a way to feel the position in the dark without looking. Maybe drill a little larger indent into the ring (or grind off a small flat spot) so you could easily feel it, then position the clip on the body at the off point to align with, and also dot indent & end of clip with glo paint.

I have a few side switch only lights and one thing I dislike is the time it takes to orientate the light in my hand to find the switch in total darkness. One I has a pocket clip and using the clip as a reference point I can find the switch quickly, but another one I have without a clip I often find myself having to roll it around in my hand until I locate the switch.

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Interesting to see that they have fitted a "tactical" bezel", love the last photo showing the wall of light the V25C gives, thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review, kudos' to the reviewer.

I've had my V25c for a week now and I really LIKE it, a lot!

It makes a nice companion to my SolarForce L2P which I've had for a year or so and use for work.

You've got to be careful when ramping up to the max as it will suddenly go dark if you go beyond the max. Unfortunately that's the reality of the 360 ring. But a quick reversal of the ring will bring you back to the max output.

What I've become accustom to doing is centering the brightness to the mid-range before switching off and quite frankly I really don't need to max output often some a mid-brightness or lower it a good starting point.