LED help needed for newbie

tigerkai

Newly Enlightened

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using that driver you get 3 times the run time as the HID and probably 2/3rds the light.

Use a 3 amp driver and you will get the same run time and twice the light. BUT it looks like the light you have is plastic which means no thermal path for the heat from the LED to the water. Perhaps the driver you linked to would be a better choice to help keep the heat at a minimum. You will still need a heat sink though. As big as you can fit.

That reflector will give you a wider more diffused beam. If you want a tighter beam look for a deep smooth reflector or consider using a aspheric lens.

tigerkai

Newly Enlightened
Hi packhorse, my light housing is make of aluminum will that do the cooling?any recommend driver for a runtime of around 1.5hrs and brighten the LED?Thanks.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
Where and how do you remove the processor chip?

Cant comment on run time without knowing what batteries you use. But if you use a XML with a 3 amp driver you get a 10 watt system so run time will be the same as the 10watt HID. I use this driver a lot. Its cheap and works well but the modes are not to my liking so I disable them by removing the processor chip.

http://dx.com/p/t6-2500-3000ma-3-mode-regulated-led-driver-circuit-board-for-diy-flashlight-4-5-18v-128269

tigerkai

Newly Enlightened
Packhorse thanks for the help.
The red circle is where the 8 legs processor sat, after it been removed use a jumper to bridge it to single mode.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, for those without proper tools and experience, the easiest way to remove that 8-pin chip is to use fine-nose cutters to cut each leg, remove the main body, then unsolder each leg one at a time.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a gas soldering iron and aim the exhaust at the chip. Its probably not good for it but I dont plan on reusing it.