3D printer + AAA light = New Hat Light

OCD

Enlightened
Last week we got a 3D printer at work. It is a filament extruder that uses ABS plastic. After running through my mind what I would create with it flashlight related, I finally thought about these.

Version 1.1 (the original didn't clip to my hat tight enough)

StraightClip-1.jpg

Version 2.0

I came up with this one because the light would hit my glasses due to the way I bend the bill of my hats with the 1st version.

90DegClip.jpg

Size comparison

BothClips-1.jpg

Clipswithlights-1.jpg

StraightCliponhat.jpg

90cliponhat2.jpg

I've got some more ideas in mind to try when I get can sneak in the design time at work.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey cool! Seems like a pretty handy tool to have one of those printers, you can make almost anything you can think up. That little clip looks like it will really work well actually.

OCD

Enlightened
Thanks npb and netprince. One of the reasons I bought the Lumintop AAA was that it was longer than the Maratac, allowing the clip to stay attached in the position to be clipped to the hat. I had to remove the Maratac clip and turn it around for hat use as it stuck past the end of the light on the hat which caused it to become loose on the light. Also, I managed to loose the Maratac clip several times trying to twist the head to turn it on and off.

This clip is super stout allowing activation of either the Lumintop clicky or twisting the Maratac without the light or clip moving. I had been racking my brain for a long time trying to come up with something like this out of ordinary items, MacGyver style!

This is exactly what I wanted.

My next challenge is a head light style mount that can be used with an elastic band on the side of the head with either of these lights for use without a hat.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. Wondered what practical purpose these 3D printers would serve.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
I cannot see the pictures. All that shows up for me is the generic Photobucket message that says the images were moved or deleted. If you moved them in Photobucket, such as sorting them into a folder, their links in your forum post will need to be updated.

OCD

Enlightened
Sorry about the photos, they're fixed now. I did reorganize my photos in Photobucket. Won't be doing that anymore!

Ruislip

Newly Enlightened
That's well done OCD. Have you thought about belt clips and pocket clips as well? Perhaps some way of stowing a light in a car, clipping to the sun-visor might work? The possibilities seem pretty wide-ranging....

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is freakin' awesome. One of the guys at work has a 3d printer. I'm going to get him to make me one out of blue GITD :D

MRsDNF

Newly Enlightened
That is one good looking clip OCD. I hope you get lots of time that you can use it at work. The mind boggles at what you could build with one of those printers. Thanks.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should run with it to the patents office right now! I love it despite the fact I hate caps.

Very cool. Wondered what practical purpose these 3D printers would serve.

You'd be surprised... tons of people making sand and other types of molds for casting companies will lose their jobs thanks to 3D printers!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really cool idea; thank you for sharing! I haven't had the opportunity to play with one of these but I would really like to do so one day.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. I wish they would buy a 3D printer at work. Can't justify buying one for home though.

Can I also suggest turning the clip 90 degrees so you can mount it to the front of the cap?

OCD

Enlightened
Nice work. I wish they would buy a 3D printer at work. Can't justify buying one for home though.

Can I also suggest turning the clip 90 degrees so you can mount it to the front of the cap?

Thanks. I actually got to print one for clipping to the front of the hat this morning (I designed it before leaving work Friday evening.) Because of how it was positioned on the printer table, it required "supports" or temporary material to support placement of material where nothing is underneath, as the clips are printed lying on their side. It is functional but not cosmetically pleasing due to some the support material still attached. With some minor filing/sanding, it could be made to look o.k.

I have an idea to try that may eliminate the need for supports and allow it to be used either on the side or the front.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey OCD, I don't suppose I could borrow your design files? I want to modify them to suit a AA light, but yours are a great starting point.