Eagletac D25a Clip Fix

Scalz

Newly Enlightened
My Eagletac D25a is my favorite EDC flashlight. That being said mine had one minor drawback. The belt clip kept loosening up. Almost lost the light a few times if I hadn't heard it hit the floor. Turns out that the treads on the end cap were stripped enough to prevent tightening properly.
I ended up taking off the clip and tried using a lanyard. Not bad; but more times than not the light would end up in the bottom of my pocket.
I now wanted more than ever to reinstall that clip. Knowing what I needed I started looking for the tools and materials. I found these in a local hobby shop.
IMAG1033.jpg

The first step was taking the tailcap apart being careful of o-rings and such.

IMAG1034.jpg

Then I drilled out the existing screw holes with the bit supplied in the Du-Bro kit.
IMAG1036.jpg

Now the tapping. I didn't need to set it up in a vice and use a tap handle. I just just gently
turned the tailcap against the tap by hand. The metal is soft enough to do this.
IMAG1038.jpg

Here is completed tailcap with cap screws in place using 2.5 square drive. Added just a drop of blue thread lock also.
IMAG1039.jpg

All put back together and ready to clip to my pocket again.
IMAG1042.jpg

Note: I'll be looking for some 3mm button cap screws to replace the cap screw if I feel they stick up too much and cause any hang-ups.

Cheers,

Scalz

netprince

Enlightened
Nice work. I've always wanted to try something like this myself. Thanks for writing it up

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
So your original threads got stripped out before you had a chance to try some threadlock?

Scalz

Newly Enlightened
So your original threads got stripped out before you had a chance to try some threadlock?

Yes, that's right. Thread lock would have done no good. Had to go this route. I did however tried applying some clear nail polish to the original threads and that didn't last long. I learned that trick from my RC hobby.

I heard that eagletac doesn't produce their own clip and screws for this light. A definite weak link. Not the best quality. At least in mine.

Scalz

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's right. Thread lock would have done no good. Had to go this route. I did however tried applying some clear nail polish to the original threads and that didn't last long. I learned that trick from my RC hobby.

I heard that eagletac doesn't produce their own clip and screws for this light. A definite weak link. Not the best quality. At least in mine.

Scalz

That is good to know. At least you found a solution to the problem :)