Upcoming ArmyTek lights: Ranger, Dragon, Dobermann, Prime

mmander

Newly Enlightened
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet. ArmyTek posted a link to their 2014 catalogue in the CPF MarketPlace Wizard headlamps thread. There aren't a lot of detailed specifications on the new lights, but here is the link...

http://www.armytek.com/data/ads/catalogue/2014/Catalogue_2014_en.pdf

Some interesting looking new lights. The Dragon looks like quite a beast! I am intrigued by the MT-G2 equipped Ranger, a bit similar to the EagleTac SX25L3 in stature, but with built-in charging and a tripod socket. Its fairly wide, bright beam might be useful as a very portable photography/video light source, especially if directed into a small soft-box. I love the 5000K MT-G2 LED (in my EagleTac MX25L3) for its beautiful neutral colour temperature with minimal colour separation in the beam, at least in all the lights I've seen that have used it so far. Of course, how rapidly will the built-in charger charge and will it do a proper balanced charge on 4 batteries, how slippery is that body going to be in practice when used handheld… those are questions about the new Ranger that I'll be interested in hearing answers to. Here is a screen-shot from the PDF catalog.

ArmyTek-Ranger_Dragon.jpg

I just noticed that they mentioned a "special balancer" on the Dragon and it has internal charging too. However maybe it will be like the Zebralight S6330 where each LED is tied to a single circuit/battery? There is also a new Wizard headlamp coming, as opposed to the Wizard Pro. One bit of confusion is why they seem to have no mention of "wide" versions of their headlamps? Also, they have confirmed in the CPF thread that the Wide is discontinued.:confused: I have both a regular and wide Wizard Pro and in use, I much prefer the wide one! If they made an attachable diffuser for the regular one, well that would be okay too. Anyway, back to flashlights.

Here are some more excerpts, the new Dobermann...

ArmyTek-Dobermann.jpg

… and lastly, the new Prime models...

[EDIT: Really liking the specifications of that Prime A1 actually! I think that would be class-leading output from an AA or 14500, would it not? Four modes sounds about perfect too, as long as they are well spaced and there is a sub-lumen moonlight mode. Has a magnet in the tail cap, which I've always wanted in an EDC light, and it looks like the side-switch will be easy to locate by feel too. Although it's slightly larger, it might replace my SC52 as an EDC, depending on its beam and runtime and heat at 650 lumens with a 14500. I hope it has a similar interface to my Wizard Pro, which I personally consider nearly ideal for a single button light. I do prefer it slightly to the Zebralight UI.]

ArmyTek-PrimeA.jpg

ArmyTek-PrimeC.jpg

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really looking to buy a Barracuda late last year, but I waited to see what the Grizzly would ultimately be. The wait seems to be worth it - 2,700 led lumens and a 4 degree hotspot should make it throw like crazy.

It will be my first purchase for 2014. A belated birthday present. Might have to get some larger capacity 18650's to go with it too.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the look of the Prime A1 and C1. If they have good mode spacing and UI I might just buy one to rotate with my Surefire Backup.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I like the appearance of the Dragon! :) It really looks powerful,so does the Ranger. I am interested to see reviews of these lights. The Prime C1 also looks like a nice EDC.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dragon looks like the Armytek take on the Fenix TK75. I do wonder if it will maintain turbo output for long, though. One of the things I really like about Armytek is that many of their lights will run on max until the cells give out...4200 lumens seems like it might be too much to do that. The TK75 has a slightly smaller head, but otherwise similar dimensions and weight, and we're talking almost a 50% boost in total output on turbo.

ven

Flashaholic
Wow,between olight and armytek my wallet is:faint: some very nice armytek lights there,dont own one yet and been very tempted......will just wait a little ,check reviews and get a couple of these new ones..........i likey a lot:D

LEDburn

Enlightened
I'm getting a Prime C2 for sure!!! ...if their marketing it right ;)

"Powered by rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion batteries for unlimited runtimes in all modes."

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I'm getting a Prime C2 for sure!!! ...if their marketing it right ;)

"Powered by rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion batteries for unlimited runtimes in all modes."

+1 on the Prime C2. Should be a good back-up light.
I like the texture on these Armytek lights. It provides a very good grip, even in wet conditions and with gloves.

Boatload

Newly Enlightened
I use my wizard wide pro almost every day and it has been a great light.
The new lights look great.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to all the new lights promised? It is nearing the end of the year already...

mmander

Newly Enlightened
What happened to all the new lights promised? It is nearing the end of the year already...

Very good question! I am disappointed that there has been no new info or release times on those lights. At the time they were shown in the brochure back in January, many had class-leading specifications but since then, there have been many other interesting new lights that have actually started to ship already. For example the crazy bright Thrunite Neutron 2A/2C lights look to have more impressive output specs than the Prime series. Also, I recently bought a single MT-G2 equipped SupBeam K40M, boosted by Vinh to almost 4000 lumen OTF - that is crazy output from a single LED! I also opted for Vinh's extra internal copper heat-sink to allow for some decent runtimes (at least at that level of output) before the light gets too hot. It also has six fairly well spaced modes all the way down to a low where you can actually look at the big LED glowing without it being painful. It is an impressive beast of a light and I cannot see myself being even remotely interested in the 3x XM-L2 equipped Dragon any more for example.

I would still be interested in the Ranger though, since I love MT-G2 LEDs and the built-in charging would be appealing, although I am not sure how fond I would be of a thicker 4x 18650 body...

Latest posts