ReviewTheLight: Bronte X30

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like :thumbsup: my reviews on facebook!
Don't forget to click "Like" after the page loads!

Bronte has long been a flashlight brand that I have much respect for, after reviewing one of their lights that I think has one of the best user interfaces I've used, the Bronte RC25S. Now they've made a beast light, with so much power that you'll be glad it comes with a handle.

Thanks to Bronte for providing the X30 for review.

I'll be reviewing the X30 in two sections: first, I'll discuss the light objectively (the facts about the light itself), then I'll discuss the light subjectively (my impressions about the light's performance when used for specific applications). If you have any other specific applications you'd like the light tested for, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Video Review

Below is a video review of the X30. Due to my old image hosting site closing down, I've got new restrictions on image uploads and have replaced the "Construction" section of my reviews with a more detailed video review.

This video is available in 1080p HD, but defaults to a lower quality. To select the playback quality click the settings button (looks like a gear) after you've started the video.

Objective

Manufacturer's Specifications

Price: 130 USD

Dimensions

Plus, here's a few shots with some good detail.

User Interface

The X30 has a very simple user interface, using only one switch and four modes. To turn the light on you hold the switch for about a second, and it will come on in the mode you were using last (including Strobe mode). Once it's on, a single quick click will cycle it to the next mode in the sequence Low -> Medium -> High -> Strobe. To turn int back off, hold down the switch for about a second.

Action Shots

You can click on any of these shots to see them full size.

Light in Hand

White Wall (Low, Medium, High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 1/20"

BeamSlice

MugShot

Indoor Shots (Low, Medium, High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 1"

Outdoor Shots (
Low, Medium, High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 2.5"

Long-Range Shots (
High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 5"

Performance

Submersion: I submersed the X30 under a foot of water for about an hour, clicking the switch several times. I found no evidence of water entering or damaging the light.

Heat: The X30 becomes noticeably warm when on high for about 20 minutes, but not uncomfortably so.

Drop: I dropped the X30 from about a meter onto various surfaces (including grass, carpet, dirt, and hard wood), and found no cosmetic or functional damage.

Reverse Polarity Protection: The X30 has a battery carrier with polarity very clearly marked, but I found no indication of reverse polarity protection, so be sure to follow the markings correctly.

Over-Discharge Protection: I found no claim of over-discharge protection, but as you can see in the graphs below, the light dims as the battery voltage declines, so that is your indicator to change the batteries.

Spectral Analysis

All light that we see as white is actually made up of several different colors put together. The relative intensities of the different colors in the mix are what determine the tint of the white we see. For example, cool white LED's have a lot of blue, and warm white LED's have more red or yellow. This measurement was done on a home made spectrometer. The plot below the picture is corrected for the spectral sensitivity of the human eye. Note: the peak in the 900nm region doesn't really exist, it's a piece of the second-order spectrum that's showing up here because of the high intensity of the light source.

Output and Runtime

ANSI FL-1 runtime ratings are the time it takes for a light to fall to 10% of it's original output (counting from 30 seconds after turning the light on).

The vertical axis of the graphs below represents a relative brightness measurement using a home made light box. The horizontal axis is time in hours:minutes:seconds. Runtimes are stated in hours:minutes:seconds. These graphs may be truncated to show detail.

Mode Comparison

High

Medium

Throwing Distance

ANSI FL-1 standard for stating a light's throwing distance is the distance at which the peak beam intensity (usually at the center of the beam) is 0.25 lux. I calculate throwing distance and candela (lux at 1 meter) by measuring peak beam intensity at five different distances and using the formula lux*distance^2=constant.

Peak Beam Intensity: 42660 cd
Throw Distance: 413 m

Subjective Review

Quick break down:

+ Very bright
+ Well designed reflector
+ Relatively smooth beam
+ Carrying handle
+ Good heat management

- Little/no regulation
- Max output only for a few seconds
- Bulky
- Strobe in regular sequence
- Low is a bit too high

The Bronte X30 is a very simple, straightforward light: big and bright. So, there'e not too much to say here.

First, I really like the design of the reflector. Incorporating three emitters to form a single beam is an impressive feat, and Bronte does it well here. Up close, the three separate beams are distinguishable, but as your target moves further away the three beams converge and the beam profile isn't too different from a standard single-emitter beam.

The first noticable drawback of the X30 is it's size. Having three emitters, each getting almost a full reflector, means the head is pretty large, and using three 18650 batteries means the body will be large too. At this point, it's not going to be anybody's pocket light, so I'm glad that Bronte included the carrying handle as part of the design. However, I've seen similar lights where the switch was not on the handle but nearby on the body, so that the handle can be removed if desired, and I think that would have been a better choice here. Also, by the time the head is so large and you've already got a carrying handle, I would have rather seen this light use 4x18650 cells instead of 3, because the extra size wouldn't have mattered too much and they could have used the extra power to improve regulation. Really, this light is designed to be used in certain circumstances where you need a lot of light for a long time, and have the ability to store such a large light.

That brings me to one of my main disappointments, and that's the lack of regulation. The max output does nearly reach the claimed 2400 lumens, but doesn't stay there event the 30 seconds required for the output measurement. Semantically, I'd call this a Turbo mode instead of High, because High tends to imply the level is sustained, but even a Turbo mode I'd like to hold it's output for a few minutes.

Lastly, to perfect this light I'd like to see the Low mode be a bit lower. The only real use I've found for a low mode on such a large powerful light is to set it on it's tail and use it like a room/tent lantern for long periods of time. 30 lumens is more than necessary for this task, and lowering it to 20ish would still get the job done while greatly increasing the run time.

Overall, the X30 is a big bright light, and should be considered as such. It's not really possible to find that sort of output in a smaller package right now, so if you need that much light and are prepared to carry it, the X30 is a good choice.

Long Term Impressions
I'll fill this part in after carrying the light for a while. If nothing get's added here, either I find nothing else worth noting about the light, or I end up not using it often.

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall, the X30 is a big bright light, and should be considered as such. It's not really possible to find that sort of output in a smaller package right now, so if you need that much light and are prepared to carry it, the X30 is a good choice.

I don't know about that. The NiWalker MM15 does 5,000+ lumens and it's no bigger than a Coke can. Granted it only has about half the throw. But there are several similar-sized lights that run in excess of 2,000 lumens AND throw as well as this guy. Although this light is a bit cheaper.