Noob looking for good quality 220V LED ceiling downlights

gcaltanetti

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all.

First time poster and long time lurker here. Candlepowerforums helped me a lot in choosing my Fenix LD01 flashlight, which I love. Thank you!

I'm looking for a good quality, but not super expensive, recessed-mount LED downlights to use in my dinning room ceiling. Price range of $15 to $30 for each. Color temperature: 2700K - 3000K. CRI above 80 or, preferably, closer to 90. I'm doing a home renovation, so I don't worry much for the actual lumens output since I can combine multiple units in the room to achieve my desired level.

Something like the CREE CR6 or CR4 would suit me perfectly fine, but unfortunately they seem to be available only in 120V versions. I'm in Brazil and my city uses a 220V circuit. This means I cannot buy it on US based retailers, like Amazon or Home Depot, which makes my life much harder. Using a 220V-120V transformer is an inelegant solution, but would work.

I tried searching eBay and Aliexpress, but it's so hard to get and idea of the light quality based only on the listed specs. And most vendors don't state CRI numbers. I wonder why. :) Some of those listings are for CREE based lights, but the price seem too low to be trusted and I'm sure the actual LEDs inside are not the same. CREE manufactures a large selections of components.

I had good luck with some 85 CRI under cabinet strips from ledlightsworld.com and they also offer downlights. Even though all parts include detailed specs about the LEDs used and CRI, I still wonder how different are these from the eBay ones and if they're good quality. Price is much higher than eBay in general and close to name brand 120V downlights from Sylvania and CREE / Ecosmart.

To sum up: I need some help. :confused: I tried searching this forum and the whole Internet for hours but came to no conclusion.

Any suggestions? Is any of those lights listed on ledlightsworld.com any good? Any good options on eBay or Aliexpress that I can use as a starting point? Or should I resort to using a 220v - 120v transformer and importing something like the CREE CR6 or Sylvania lights?

Thank you in advance.

Gustavo

Last edited:

Latest posts