Is this a good supplier of glowpowder ?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.extremeglow.com/glowpowder.htm

I want to make my KL1 glow in the dark, and I am thinking in using glowpowder or a peel and stick sheet from this company. Is this a good supplier of quality glowpowder or is there a better source? What do you recommend? Peel and stick sheet or powder?

Thanks!

Alex

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
I just received my pack of blue glow powder from The Glow Lady, it's was good stuff but i had higher expectations from it. I used a black light to charge it up for a couple minutes under direct exposure, and for the first couple of minutes it glowed brilliantly. But after about 5 minutes the glow fades to a much dimmer glow that lasts a couple of hours, supposed to be about 8 or 10 hours however i never actually checked. I'm currently waiting for my blue/green glow powder to come in from Ready Set Glow. This blue/green (a.k.a aqua) stuff is supposed to be allot brighter then the blue glow powder and it's what i'm going to be using on my LED lights. You should also check out thread "Getting a great glow", it has really useful instructions on how to make your own glow paint with nail polish and glow powder. Hope this helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
@AlexGT
The powder you mix and apply yourself always beats the stick-on for intensity.

@Isaac
The longest lasting color pigment is actually the blue/green (aqua). The regular blue is not recommended.

The green color is quicker to charge up and has better initial intensity, though.
mrglow

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
vcal,
Good points. From what I've read, green is the easiest color for the human eye to see in the dark. I didn't know the longest lasting glow powder was aqua. I really like glow powder, (mixed), but as MeatMan stated, the initial intensity doesn't last very long. In fact, don't expect it to look bright at all after about 10 minutes with a charge of light. It will glow VERY SOFTLY after that and that's in COMPLETE darkness!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you were testing the powder had you actually applied it to something yet? In it's raw powder form it's quite a bit less than when properly applied. There are some threads in the not too distant past all about doing that and what to use as a medium.

It's also very important that the backing be white.

I believe that our conclusion for the absolute best way to do it was to start with a coat of bright white, then spray on some clear varnish or shellac or something, and then while it's wet sprinkle the powder on and let what sticks dry. Repeat as you see fit and finish with another coat of spray on protector of some kind.

If thats too much trouble then go with the glow sheeting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene, it's also true that a properly applied (4-5 coats) glow surface-adequately charged up on a business sized card will glow brilliantly enough to allow you to easily maneuver around a dark room for up to 40 minutes.

Aside from commercial production methods of treatmnent, there's just no way to properly treat a surface in much under an hour. Each thin coat should be dry before another coat is applied, and then followed by a final protective clear coat. THEN you'll get high performance results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-So, a do-it-youself glow application that looks professional is time consuming if you want a really impressive -and useful result. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif