• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo AquaMule or Mac's Tri EDC.....my dilema.

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
Just about the time the McGizmo AquaMule was announced, I ordered a Mac's Tri-EDC (titanium with clip and glow powder). The Tri-EDC is literally en route to my house, and I will receive it today/tomorrow. Here's my dilemma....I've been following the AquaMule thread with a LOT of interest and I REALLY WANT ONE OF THESE!! Did I mention that I'd really like to own an AquaMule? In any case, I'm tempted to sell the Tri-EDC (brand new in box....without even using). And, I know what you're thinking...."keep them both". However, at this point I'd like to just have one or the other. I know the responses may be somewhat biased being in the McGizmo Forum, but what should I do!? If it helps any, I'm a fairly new/novice flashaholic. Thank you. P.S.--I'm not a diver (I live in the Midwest USA)....this would just be for EDC/collection purposes.

Last edited:

dbleznak

Enlightened
Maybe you should move this post to "recommend a light for me"? It not fair to expect anyone to speak against a McGizmo in its own thread. BTW, comparing the two lights is really difficult. It's like saying, what's better, a serrated knife or straight blade? Depends on the task at hand. Keep 'em both. Really, you should sell the Tri-EDC and get a Haiku or Makai.

dinokay

Enlightened
Really, how can you order a Mac tri, wait months to get it and not even open the box to try it out, interesting. Your asking a silly question because basically what your asking is, which is better but your asking it in the McGizmo forum, interesting again. Mac and Don are two of the very best custom makers out there and I absolutely love their builds, it's obvious in the love they have for their creations. Keep the Mac and when your ready to see the light from a different perspective get the AquaMule, that way it's a win win for you.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Both are excellent custom torches .... Given the current challenges in getting a Macs, I would expect you to have little difficulty in finding a buyer for that Tri-EDC, should you choose to sell it.

Good luck with your decision :)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly you should at least own both the Tri-EDC and the AquaMule at the same time so that you can compare them. Then sell the one you don't want to keep.

Also - keep in mind that there are more differences between the two lights than just the beam. There is progammability, battery choice, size, weight, portability, etc.

nbp

Flashaholic
Completely different lights, very hard to compare directly. Haiku vs. Tri is a fairer comparison, but I digress. I think a good collection needs lights from both Don and Mac. I love my McGs but I also love my Tri EDC. I have to say keep both.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crazy question. SOYCD nailed it. These are not objects of desire you can compare on spec. You need to hold both, live with both and decide who you prefer sleeping with (I mean on your bedside table).

eala

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate everyone's input....I'll run the Tri-EDC for a while. AquaMule in my future.

Kind Regards.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Wow, talk about opposite ends of the lighting spectrum!

How will you be using the light? For working in close spaces, like under cars and in fuse boxes?

Or walking the dog, and spotting for unforeseen critters?

Will you need long runtimes?

A 18350 that the Tri-EDC uses has one quarter of the capacity of the AquaMule's 18650.

Would you like programmability? The AquaMule is programmable. The Tri-EDC can be sent to Flucero28 to program the UI to your liking. The HIVE converter on the AquaMule can be programmed at any time, and have three UI's stored depending on your needs for the day.

Need a Clicky? Tri EDC.

Need a Twisty? AquaMule.

More compact?? Tri EDC

A tank of a Ti Light? AquaMule.

Better customer service if the light ever malfunctions? Probably the AquaMule.
(It's no secret Mac is hard to get ahold of) (Love ya Mac :D)

Both have good clips.

Personally, I would go for the AquaMule. It is a really great light. :thumbsup: