Surefire M2 Underwater Report

Aerodog

Newly Enlightened
After diving with the M2 several times and for several hours, here are my misc ramblings.

It works and doesn't leak down to at least 100 ft.

After 15 ft, it will stay on at the pushbutton setting.

After 40 ft, it will stay on at any cap position except for the button lockout setting.

After 1000 ft your brain will implode and Indiana Jones will find your bones and M2 in 1M years.(just making sure you're reading this)

The finish is holding up to immersion in salt water, BUT the clip is NOT. The clip is showing signs of oxidation.

UK light cannon vs M2. Ah, no. Not even close.

UK D400 rechargeable vs M2. For widebeam, M2 loses, but for pissing off sleeping sharks by painting their eyes with blinding light, the M2 holds its own.

For light output, the M2 and Q40 are about the same but I've killed Q40's by mistreatment so time will tell if the M2 stands up to bouncing against rocks. i.e. I need to climb down rocks to enter the water at times, and with the lights hanging from my rig, they get bounced around. I've killed a light cannon and Q40 that way.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I suggest you get a Z21 Closed End TailCap with Lanyard attachment ring.
That way you can still switch it off underwater at depth. It is Black Level II Anodised though.
fcb01136.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the M2.

Al

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I'm surprised you mentioned M2 and Q40 about the same light output. I've seen the Q40 and it hardly lights up anything! Heck, even an SL4 struggles to light up crevices underneath overhanging rocks, etc.

Aerodog

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Onyx:
I'm surprised you mentioned M2 and Q40 about the same light output. I've seen the Q40 and it hardly lights up anything! Heck, even an SL4 struggles to light up crevices underneath overhanging rocks, etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, I think its all about perception, especially underwater. The Q40 was designed for underwater use. While I didn't mention the SL4, it was one of the lights I compared the M2 with. The SL4 wins over the M2 in total light output and center hot spot.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I doubt type II black anodizing will protect the Aluminium as well as Level III Hard Anodise does. Type II is far easier to scratch.

Mil.Spec. Level II HA has to meet saltwater testing requirements I believe.

P.S.
You never know, SureFire may have a HA TailCap suitable for use at depth. Why not call 'em and talk to a technical expert?

Al

nihraguk

Enlightened
Al: i do recall a post about a depth-rated tailcap with a stronger spring, but i'm not very sure.

as for the anodizing, assuming the finish isn't scratched off, will it protect the aluminium from corrosion as well as type III HA? also, are both finishes corrossion proof? what i mean is will seawater eventually eat away the anodizing on both types of anodizing with time, or will the finishes protect the aluminium so long as it isn't nicked off?

thanks in advance
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The spring contacts are carefully choosen. With the 9AN, we saw that the output was closely linked with the type of spring.
A stiff spring isn't something I've heard of, but then again, there must be a few things I've not heard of...
wink.gif

Al
smile.gif

ToddM

Enlightened
Al,

You remember the 9AN spring thing too, right? I remembered reading that the old spring could be taking up to 20% of the voltage from the bulb. I emailed PK about it and he said he had nothing that could possilby provide such a increase. He said he would send me a updated tailcap anyway, but I thought I was loosing my sanity.

Todd

nihraguk

Enlightened
Al: thanks for responding
smile.gif

btw, does anyone else whose familiar with the characteristics and features of the different anodizing types know how well type II holds up to saltwater? TIA!

Tombeis

Enlightened
Al

Isn't the SW-02 click tailcap from the weaponsystems lights waterproof, and would it not make a switch for the M2 that would function well underwater?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Rated version is.

I doubt the SW02 or Z48/Z49 would allow you to have momentary-on switching any more than the SW01 or Standard LOTC would.

Al

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Al, but what I think is with the SW02 you can do what you can with the SW01 or Standard LOTC including the momentary-on switching function. I have no prob with that but yes it may take a little getting used to.

Size15's

Flashaholic
What I'm saying is that underwater, under pressure below a certain depth, the momentary-on pressure switch mode of the TailCaps be they standard or clickie will be activated. The LockOut Function may be the only way to turn off the light.

I don't know whether there is a stiffened pressure switch TailCap that still allows you to have momentary switch at depths lower than a standard TailCap allows.

Al

nihraguk

Enlightened
Al: i just examined the tailcaps of my 6P and C2, and the spring in the tailcap of the C2 is longer and maybe stiffer. perhaps the longer springs come standard in the C2 and M2? i may be wrong though.