Princeton Tec Vizz vs Black Diamond Storm

Whitedwarf

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I can't decide whether to order a Storm or Vizz headlamp; I have used the storm and it is a great lamp but the claimed higher output of the Vizz makes it an interesting alternative (no too bothered about dimming the main beam). Are the lumens quoted for the Vizz (165) genuine, making it a brighter lamp than the Storm (100 lumens quoted)?

carrot

Flashaholic
The 2014 edition of the Storm (currently available direct from BD and trickling into retailers) has 160 lumens (per mfr) now as well.

The Vizz seems pretty nice but I have been disappointed with standby battery life on several previous generations of Princeton Tec headlamps (EOS, Quad, Byte).

If water resistance is not a huge deal, the cheaper Spot is lighter and a bit smaller. It survives rain but not dunking.

Petzl's revamped for 2014 Tikka models will be arriving next month and should be competitive with BD, PT. The older Tikka2 generation proved extremely water-resistant in my experiences, surviving dunking and extended water time with no issues.

Whitedwarf

Newly Enlightened
The 2014 edition of the Storm (currently available direct from BD and trickling into retailers) has 160 lumens (per mfr) now as well.

Thankyou for this important piece of information; as I live in europe sneaky black diamond automaticaly directs me to their european site Link Deleted where the new storm isn't shown. But, thanks to you, now I have found the US site Link Deleted indeed there are new ones more powerful, the flood lighting design seems to have changed also -I found the ''old'' storm in flood mode had a weak spot in the centre of the two beams, perhaps they have addressed this issue? Hopefully they have increased the power of the red LEDs that I found pretty useless? Unfortunately, I suspect, we may have to wait some time in europe for these new lamps, until suppliers deplete their stocks or even dump ''old'' US stock on unsuspecting european customers? Of course, I could always import from the USA.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: